News:

Topic: How can I 'Seperate' combined meshes...?  (Read 4142 times)

• No avatar
  • Vertex
November 23, 2013, 03:41:08 pm
I am currently working on a config to improve my workflow and I am trying to find what this function is called... It would be great if one of you knew  ;D

Kind Regards,
Patrick

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 23, 2013, 05:50:05 pm
Hello Patrick.
You might try selecting all polygons and running Common Modeling Shortcut Tools->Split command.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
November 23, 2013, 06:07:43 pm
Thank you for the response, but that is to separate selected polygons from a mesh...

What I have done is "Object Shortcut Tools >> Combine(Merge Meshes)" and I am trying to find a command/function that will allow me to separate the two combined meshes as a whole, sometimes I will often have them overlapping and selecting each face isn't going to be efficient, if there is no way I will just have to do without, but I am sure that there must be.

I am in the middle of construction my own set of windows and such, that is why I am trying to find all of the typical functions that I would usually use in other applications :P

Kind Regards,
Patrick

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 23, 2013, 06:57:38 pm
.........sometimes I will often have them overlapping and selecting each face isn't going to be efficient,

As put forward by rubberduck, select all polygons of the object and run split.
To select all polygons of an object, have the object selected, change to polygon selection, then MMB drag the selection window over the entire object. That will select all polygons, then use split with option "Break into separate Objects"

Or:-

With object selected, double LMB select one polygon on the object, that will select all polygons on one mesh, then use Split.

You would probably be better to use the "Combine" command(without the merge) if you think you may need to keep a track of separate meshes. They are easier to split if needed.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
November 23, 2013, 07:58:52 pm
OK, thanks Steve, I guess that I was just trying to be... Lazy, in Maya there is a simple combine and separate, if I combine two complete meshes it will compile to one mesh and if at one point I want to separate I simply click separate and voila!

I don't mind having to select the faces and splitting though, its not much trouble at all.

Regards,
Patrick

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 23, 2013, 09:31:26 pm
..........in Maya there is a simple combine and separate, if I combine two complete meshes it will compile to one mesh and if at one point I want to separate I simply click separate and voila!

So use "Combine" and not "Combine Merge Meshes" (as I put forward) and you will get the same result.

That way, in object mode, you can "Combine" then, if needed "Split" into its separate meshes, or, if the object contains multiple combined meshes, you could go into mesh selection, and select the specific mesh to split off the object.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
November 24, 2013, 10:54:17 am
OK, thanks... That worked perfectly and is exactly what I was trying to get. Again, its just confusion as to what the functions are called in this application :P