News:

Topic: best fit command  (Read 9802 times)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
March 21, 2014, 11:34:40 am

• Triangle
March 21, 2014, 02:35:47 pm
Using the object Pivot streamline tool is not causing an issue anymore with the best fit command. Thanks!
I noticed that best fitting to a cube's Mesh component results in a different zoom level than best fitting to the cube on object level.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 24, 2014, 02:47:56 pm
I'm really liking the updated behaviour of Best Fit - thanks!  It works the same as in ZBrush (and others) now, so that's a nice little workflow improvement for me.

Similar to what Vaquero noted, I've seen a small inconsistency between using "Best Fit" with a mesh in "Object" mode, versus "Mesh" mode and other subojects modes.  Say, for example, that I've imported a human head mesh from ZBrush to NVil.  It arrives in NVil, and object pivot for the object is set to the world origin, though the head mesh itself is sat about 30mm above the origin (in this example, let's say I'm making a 32mm scale figurine).  With the 17Mar14 NVil build, if I select the head object and "Best Fit" while in object mode, I am automatically zoomed into the head - great.  But, if I then pan/rotate/zoom my viewport so that the camera is looking toward the origin/object pivot, the gizmo snaps back to the origin/pivot - fine, that's to be expected for as long as my "Pivot Position" is set to "Object".  *However*, if I then pan/rotate/zoom the viewport again while still looking in the general direction of the the origin/pivot, my viewport movements are now centered on the pivot, as though I had not "Best Fit" to the head.  In Mesh mode and all subobject modes, this does not occur - once I've best fit, the camera more or less stays oriented to selection which I've "fit".

To put all of that more simply: only when in Object Mode *and* with Pivot Position set to "Object" OR when in another mode and using the Manual Pivot Position manipulation tool, does the viewport camera override a "Best Fit" view to instead center upon the object pivot.

It must be said, though, that I was really just trying to test the new "Best Fit" behaviour to see if I could find any bugs.  What I've mentioned only potentially seems to be a minor inconsistency, and I don't think it necessarily indicates any problem to me (in my limited tests so far).  Overall, it's a big improvement, imo - so thank you!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 02:51:41 pm by JTenebrous »

• Administrator
  • Polygon
    • http://samardac.com/
May 08, 2014, 09:51:21 am
Why when I best fit, it fits it so small?

Portfolio: www.samardac.com