News:

Topic: Lattice deform  (Read 13413 times)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 08, 2014, 08:07:16 pm
On more checking.

I setup on workplane space, and kept it simple.

I have a square profile and 2 point spline to use for path/axis. With 3 point scale modify curve.

If I "slide" the path first. Then as a second operation use "Spline modify" and add the "scale modify curve"(axis locked). The result is as expected.

However. If I slide with scale modify curve(axis locked), the result appears to be scaling to world axis.

VWS attached

-----------------------------------
"Lathe" also scales to world axis.
Unfortunately, the new scaling feature when locking axis, is of little use with "Slide" or "Lathe" in its current form.
----------------------------------

« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 08:40:55 pm by steve »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 09, 2014, 12:16:07 pm
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Apr-08-14.rar

For Slide, if scale differently in Y/Z, use workplane space which aligns to the tangent of the first point of the path curve.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 09, 2014, 05:03:54 pm
Hi IStonia,

The result from the example "b_0" now appears to be OK.

The result from the example "Slide_scale", that gives the same incorrect results. I changed to "Workplane Space"(aligned workplane to tangent of first vertex on path"). That gave 2 problems. The first was a problem again trying to create the scaling spline, it would not draw at times in orthographic view, it depended on zoom level of orthographic view(mainly "Advance view focus point on Orthographic view zooming" needed to be enabled.) The other problem was that the slide would not work at all while in workplane space for that example. I selected the profile, ran "Slide" selected the path, and nothing, did not create mesh(Slide > tube" also failed to work)

Using workplane space, I created several other 3d splines, "Slide" failed to create a mesh.(looks like the Path needs to be planer for it to work in workplane space).

----------------------------------
With a 3d path for slide, with workplane space, the paths pivot needs to be moved to start vertex, or the mesh appears to be created very small at path pivot location. But even with that, the scaling is still incorrect.

It also appears that when changing to workplane space, workplace 0,0,0 can still be at world space origin. A need to save/reload in new session to correct origin.

--------------------------------------

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 07:43:44 pm by steve »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 10, 2014, 09:06:49 am
Hi IStonia,

Slide + Scale modify

On quick tests.

It will now work, but there is limitation. The path start vertex must be at/aligned with "world space" or "Workplane space" origin(depending on which space working in). If not, when using scale modify with "axis lock" or 2 different scale modify curves will give incorrect results.
For example, the example file I posted "Slide_scale". That gives the same incorrect results. But if I move path start vertex to world origin/orientation(+ realign profile), then it will give correct results.

I am still seeing problems attempting to draw spine in ortho views in workplane space(that are not aligned to workplane) while "Advanced Focus Point on orthographic view" is disabled(and I change the ortho view by zooming.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 11, 2014, 11:10:02 am
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Apr-10-14.rar

I am still seeing problems attempting to draw spine in ortho views in workplane space(that are not aligned to workplane) while "Advanced Focus Point on orthographic view" is disabled(and I change the ortho view by zooming.

How can I reproduce it?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 11, 2014, 08:48:16 pm
Hi IStonia,

Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Apr-10-14.rar
On first quick testing, that is looking good for slide with scaling. I will find some time later to make more testing.

How can I reproduce it?
Sorry I got distracted and now need to go out for a few hours.
I will post some steps to reproduce later.

• Triangle
April 11, 2014, 11:03:01 pm
It seems, the move curve is applied after the scaling. Can that be switched? I want the scaling to stay in place, but change the distribution of the polygons along the path, so they "slide" over the scaled mesh. I don't know about the workflow of others, but for me it makes more sense.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 12, 2014, 12:44:50 am
It seems, the move curve is applied after the scaling. Can that be switched?
They currently work together. What you are asking for, is for them to be applied in specific order seperatly, that would cause issues on functionality.

A very simple example.(would not work if changed)
Create a spring with compressed ends.
Use slide > twist > move

I want the scaling to stay in place, but change the distribution of the polygons along the path, so they "slide" over the scaled mesh. I don't know about the workflow of others, but for me it makes more sense.
That would kill a number of functions I have/would use "Move" for.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 12, 2014, 01:18:38 am
Hi IStonis,

How can I reproduce it?

I am seeing some other issues now.

In a new default scene, load the "Slide_scale_b" example I have attached. It should start in Workplane space, ortho view left.

Start spline tool. Move cursor over viewport(do not start the spline) and zoom in(keep zooming in). The cursor for spline start will disappear(you cannot draw spline), if you keep zooming in the grid will disappear. On zooming out the view as changed.

• Triangle
April 12, 2014, 02:59:49 am
It seems, the move curve is applied after the scaling. Can that be switched? I want the scaling to stay in place, but change the distribution of the polygons along the path, so they "slide" over the scaled mesh. I don't know about the workflow of others, but for me it makes more sense.
Never mind. I can do the sliding afterwards with the slide tools and soft selection enabled, I guess.

• Triangle
April 12, 2014, 03:47:36 am
I just noticed that the number of sections is off by 1. To get a quad for the profile I have to give it 3 sections. That's not intuitive and might lead to making mistakes.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 12, 2014, 10:47:41 am
I just noticed that the number of sections is off by 1. To get a quad for the profile I have to give it 3 sections. That's not intuitive and might lead to making mistakes.

There are a couple of issues I can think of now.

For "slide -> tube" the segments for the radius is off by 2 (for a square, segments = 2)

For segments on the length. For open spline OK, but for closed spline it is off by 1 (it does not count the last segment)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 12, 2014, 12:44:37 pm
Hi IStonia,

"Spline -> Lathe"

Currently, that is using world axis/orientation rather that profile orientation for scaling.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon