News:

Topic: Lattice deform  (Read 13244 times)

• Triangle
March 29, 2014, 05:39:37 am
Moving the mesh just temporary is not always desirable, for example the mesh I want to modify could be part of a structure consisting of a other meshes as well and I don't want them to overlap.
But another solution could work, if it was made to work: IStonia, could the scale spline be made to work in relation to a workplane if "use workplane as input space" is activated? At the moment that doesn't work, but would make a good alternative. I could just align the workplane to my model and create the scale spline on it so it is aligned in Workplane XY and along my mesh (if path is a straight line, of course).

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 01, 2014, 09:07:39 am
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Mar-27-14.rar

I have added a new "Scale modify curve". So Y/Z scale can be controlled by separate curves. Same thing to "Lathe" and "Slide" tools.

If view navigation space is set to workplane space, the workplane XY plane is used for modify computation instead of world XY plane.

• Triangle
April 01, 2014, 11:20:19 am
The idea of having an optional second scale curve is really nice! In my first attempt it works great, you'll ust have to remember to set the view navigation space to workplane. Thanks a lot!
But there are still some bugs.
This happened, when I played with the Lock settings. I will get to the condition later, when I have more time.

And a minor thing: Shouldn't the "ScaleY" read "ScaleX", since I'm scaling it in x-direction?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 01, 2014, 04:23:46 pm
I have added a new "Scale modify curve". So Y/Z scale can be controlled by separate curves. Same thing to "Lathe" and "Slide" tools.

If view navigation space is set to workplane space, the workplane XY plane is used for modify computation instead of world XY plane.

Wow, excellent. Many thanks.
Have you been getting any sleep?
----------------------------------------

On first quick tests.

When in "Workplane space" and creating a "Spline", the mouse cursor and cursor showing vertex position to be created, are not together, they move in different directions.

The scaling while in Workplane space appears still to be working to world space if lock active.(or 2 scaling curves are used, and one is zero scale)

While in workplane space, with workplane active, if using an orthographic view, only the top/bottom view(perp to workplane) can be used to create a spline. The other ortho views cannot be used(cannot draw spline)

-----------------------------

Minor points.
It was mentioned before, but would it be possible to show what space we are currently working in (world/workplane). I do have user buttons setup to change the space used(View navigation space > set navigation space)), but they do not show if active.

Hotkey for second spline? Currently "S" is for scale modifier and selects the first (Y). Maybe "Alt+S" for second(Z) scale modifier curve?

« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 05:15:46 pm by steve »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 06, 2014, 10:51:06 am
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Mar-29-14.rar

The modify curves can also be placed in YZ plane.
If in workplane space, "WP" will appear top-right.

The scaling while in Workplane space appears still to be working to world space if lock active.(or 2 scaling curves are used, and one is zero scale)

I don't see the problem.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 06, 2014, 12:10:22 pm
I don't see the problem.

Try rotating the WP of world axis orientation before testing. (VWS attached)

-------------------------------------------------------------

The other problems I mentioned now appear to be fixed. Thank you.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 07:26:28 pm by steve »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon

• Triangle
April 07, 2014, 02:04:10 pm
Even if I ran into some glitches, they were no trouble to me (yet), just a little bit consufing and easily fixed. Now this tool is finally fun! I like how it works in conjunction with the new twist tangent tool. I can use it on the path curve to manually control the twist! Nice!

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 07, 2014, 03:46:10 pm
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Mar-30-14.rar

I am getting unpredictable results. At times, when the mesh/curves are created in session, the scaling appears to be in reverse (scales down instead of up). But on saving/re-loading[new session] the result can be correct for spline modify.
For "Slide" or "Slide > Tube" again, with scaling the results varied (could be correct at first, or a need to save/new session/reload, and on one test(after reload), the scaling was incorrect.

Here is the example for "Slide > Tube".
When I first created this in session, the tube scale was reversed (went smaller in the middle). When I reloaded into a new session, the scaling was incorrect.

Expected result as from Mar-15 build.

Result from Mar-30(new) Build (other builds with new scaling was similar incorrect result)
Scaling made from world X/Y (using/ not using path tangents was same result)

By the way, it is now 7 April.

VWS attached

--------------------------

On more checking of the above example, If I change to workplane space, then result is correct. On changing back to world space, again still OK.

Can you please check when you have time?
Thanks.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 04:10:50 pm by steve »

• Triangle
April 07, 2014, 04:17:44 pm
That's odd. If I scale your scene up by the factor of 10, then everything works on my end.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 07, 2014, 04:24:25 pm
On loading the scene, if I change the orientation of the scale modifier curve (rotate it 90 deg around world 0,0,0 so it is now on Y/Z) then it is OK.

A bit too unpredictable for me at the moment.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 07, 2014, 04:40:38 pm
This is what I am seeing most of the time. (this is world space X/Y for scale modify curve)

Spline modify with scaling curve, incorrect.

Save/re-load in new session. Now OK.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 08, 2014, 08:34:48 am
There were bugs in the modify curve YX/YZ plane checking.
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Mar-31-14.rar

Note: If the scaling controlling is different in Y/Z directions, align the workplane space to the tangent direction of the first point of the axis curve.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 08, 2014, 09:23:44 am
That is looking very good.

Many thanks.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 08, 2014, 07:11:15 pm
I have been looking more at "Slide" with scale lock. The results are not as expected.

Example:-

I have a square profile I want to slide around a path. The square profile is set to path vertex normal.

I want to scale that profile in only one direction, So that I can maintain the width or height of the square.(what I was expecting)
I add the scale modify curve and lock to one axis.

The result shows that the profile as become skewed, rather than it keeping its 90 deg corners and only scaling in one direction of the profile.

I get similar results with using path tangents or not.
[I have also tried changing the scale modify curve to the different planes and work spaces. But with similar results.]

Could you please check when you can find time.

Thanks.

VWS attached.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 07:21:57 pm by steve »