News:

Topic: Bits`n`pieces  (Read 17848 times)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 08, 2012, 09:59:10 pm
Hello,

I am a newbie with Voidworld and dont normally build any models as such until I know a program quite well, but thought I would post some pics of the various bits`n`pieces I build while learning.

I have been trying out the various retopo tools. These are just 3 of my attempts. (I do not use sub-d)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 09, 2012, 07:39:28 pm
Another "bit"

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
July 10, 2012, 12:18:59 am
Wow! How did you do that? My curious.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 10, 2012, 01:43:47 am
Hi IStonia,

I just made a flat part, then used the Twist/spline modifier.

Regards,

-Steve

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 11, 2012, 12:10:05 am
Another twist`n`bendy bit (spline modify). Thought I would make a quick render of this one.

• Edge
July 11, 2012, 01:50:18 am
Any tips for someone who's trying to wrap their head around spline?
I spent about two hours on the spline modifier today, and still don't understand.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 11, 2012, 10:10:42 am
Hello,

Once you know the basics, the rest should fall into place.

Quick example.

I have created a segmented plane on the world Z/X, with the length of the plane running along the world X.
I draw a 2 point (must only be 2 points) spline for the axis, running along the world X, the same length of the mesh(plane). The axis spline is created from left to right(running positive in the main X direction). Red arrows showing 2 points on axis spline.
When creating the "Path curve" drawn on the world Y/X. I have created a circle as I want the mesh to become a tube. You should take care (for this example) that the "Path curve" and the "axis line" are the same length, if not, then the mesh will be stretched or compressed (if they are different lengths). You should also have the start point of the "axis line" and "path curve" at the same origin(start point)

This is with the "spline modifier" then applied. The "Axis line"=2 point spline. The "Path curve"= circle

If you where then, for example, to edit the "Path curve" and move it along the main X axis, you will see how that will change the diameter of the resulting mesh. That is due to the distance of the "Path curve" being away from the origin(start point) of the "Axis line"

Here is the example file (direct download link):- http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?uogc6mshg644ama

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 10:27:16 am by steve »

• Edge
July 11, 2012, 07:36:48 pm
Thank you, that example helped quite a bit.
I'm now know you need, two spline's. One for the line axis and one for the path curve.
I'm still a little bit iffy about a few things.
Like, how do you determine the distance between the line axis and the path curve?

I am beginning to think that I am jumping ahead of myself. Maybe I should figure out Spline first, before I learned how to modify them.
I chose the spline modifier because: it was the first on a list of 17, in the help search.

I was thinking this was similar to extruding a path. It seems to me that you can do a lot more with them.

I think I need to spend a little time learning about spline. From what I see what you are doing with them.
It's a lot more useful than I thought.

I'm new to this program, and I've never even heard of this.

Again thank you very much for straightening a few things out for me.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 12, 2012, 05:56:10 am
I'm new to this program,
I am the same, have been using VoidWorld for about 4 weeks during spare time.

I was thinking this was similar to extruding a path. It seems to me that you can do a lot more with them.
For simple extruding(of profile along path), then you would use "Slide". With Spline modify, that uses similar options, but is for deforming meshes.

If you start looking at slide first, that would get you in the right direction.

A quick example of slide.

One of the problems I have had in the past, is to create an helix(spiral) that revolves around a path. With VoidWorld, that is quite a simple process of offsetting the profile from the start of the path,

run the "Slide" tool adding "Twist"

But you can go further using the other options. Such as (for simple example)if you want the tube(spiral) created to be deformed so it looks like one of those flexible tubes.
This is with a "Scale modifier Curve" added to the above slide.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 12, 2012, 07:15:18 am
Playing a little more with the "Slide" command.
With the slide, there is an option to "Generate Spline", which will create a new spline based on the slide. So from the above example of creating the helix, I also created a new spline, then used the slide command to generate an helix around that new helix spline. (Helix around an Helix)

This is the result (I made some edit to the resulting mesh (inset+shell))

Quick render:-

• Edge
July 14, 2012, 12:34:43 am
Thank you so much for taking time to help me.  :)

Slide does seem to work better for me.
I see what you mean about the helix. It is definitely tricky.
I spent a couple hours on it already.

It's pretty hideous, but it's starting to take shape.

I think it's just a matter of spending some time with it. It's amazing what a little experimentation can do.
Once I find the right variables, I think it will all fall into place.

By the way, do you do your renders in a external program? Or can you render in VW?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 14, 2012, 01:22:56 am
It's pretty hideous, but it's starting to take shape.
Looking good. It just needs more segment adding to the length to get a smoother flow. In the "Slide" options, just experiment with the "SegmentsA" and "SegmentsB" to see what is best for the shape.

By the way, do you do your renders in a external program? Or can you render in VW?
There is no Renderer in VW. I use various external renderer's.

Thank you so much for taking time to help me
You are welcome. I am happy I can help.

• Edge
July 14, 2012, 11:46:50 pm
Thanks again!  :)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 16, 2012, 09:12:44 am
On another forum, it was put forward about creating a sphere from hexagons/pentagons (mapped on a Icosahedron).

So made it in Nvil. Good use of the Transform list (the scale addition made it much easier)

Quick render:-

• Triangle
September 17, 2012, 01:08:27 pm
Cool stuff. :) I will have to try it myself. You seem to get fairly complicated results rather quick with NVIL.