News:

Topic: Spline Modify for Bend/Twist/Taper  (Read 3934 times)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 10, 2014, 01:15:43 pm
There is info in the help file for this, but thought to show quick example for Bend/Twist/taper

I just created a simple scaled box with added edge loops for the deforming.

First, there needs to be an "Axis" that the deforming is set from. So I create a spline from the center of the bottom polygon on the box, to the center of the polygon on the top. (I named that spline:- Axis)
I changed to wire_frame so it can be seen:-

For bending, create a spline you want to bend to. Here I created an arc. Make sure that the start of that spline to bend to, starts at the same position as the start of the Axis, which in this case, is the center of the bottom polygon of the box. (I named that spline "Bend")

Select all the vertex on the box, and start the "Spline Modify" Tool.

In the "Axis" you select the spline for the Axis.
For the Path, you select the spline you created for the bend.

For "Twist". Simply a case of:-

For the Axis, select the Axis spline
For the Path, also select the Axis spline
Then add a Twist amount as wanted.

For "Taper". You create another spline that is used to scale the box. The amount of scale is relative to distance of spline from X Axis

You can of course use all together is wanted:-

As I stated, there is info in the help file for the "spline modify", but if there are questions, then just ask.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 01:20:03 pm by steve »

• No avatar
  • Triangle
    • Portfolio
March 10, 2014, 08:22:58 pm
Should mention that the Axis spline should be in +Y and Path curve should be in +X because the vertices use the values of the world cordinates

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 11, 2014, 12:34:00 am
Should mention that the Axis spline should be in +Y and Path curve should be in +X because the vertices use the values of the world cordinates

The calculations from Axis to path are relative, there is no restriction due to world coordinate system.

Here I have changed the objects orientation/Axis to -X and the Path to -Z

The transform still takes place, with similar results.

Here the Path is a 3d Spline.

Result:-

The only restriction for Axis/Path, is that the "Axis" should be a 2 point spline.

Note:-
If the Axis start position and the Path start position are not at same location, you can get strange results due to offset.
If the length of the Path is much longer or shorter than the Axis, you will get the Mesh stretching or compressing for the fitting of the modify.