News:

Topic: toolbar buttons  (Read 3854 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
February 04, 2013, 12:54:07 am
Can i add a button to open a window to the toolbar?
I would like to a the material window to a button on the tool bar.
Also how do i add a material from the material library to the scene materials?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 04, 2013, 03:14:11 am
Hi johnnybevo,

You can create custom "toolbars" within "Custom Tools Windows".
Go to top drop down menu:- "View-> Windows-> User Tools Window" and select a "User tools"(there are 10 you can create/use). Each "User Tool Window" can contain as many toolbars as you want. Once the "Custom Tool Window" is on screen, right click in the new window and select "Enter Customization", right click again to "Group-> Add Group" (a group is a toolbar). Right click the new toolbar, that will give you various options, such as adding buttons.
The options are self explanatory, but if you do need help, just ask.

In the "materials window"-> "Material tab", just select a material-> "Load to scene", which will add that material to the "Scene materials" list.

• No avatar
  • Spline
February 04, 2013, 06:35:53 pm
Thanks steve
So Have you made a complete switch from Hexagon?
I almost dont open Hex. anymore. Mostly working in Blender lately.
I can see where NVIL and Blender would make a good combo. Although I have only spent a few hours in NVIL, I will consider buying when the time comes.
I hope there will always be some free version I can use till I have the money.

• No avatar
  • Spline
February 04, 2013, 08:51:26 pm
Hi johnnybevo,

You can create custom "toolbars" within "Custom Tools Windows".
Go to top drop down menu:- "View-> Windows-> User Tools Window" and select a "User tools"(there are 10 you can create/use). Each "User Tool Window" can contain as many toolbars as you want. Once the "Custom Tool Window" is on screen, right click in the new window and select "Enter Customization", right click again to "Group-> Add Group" (a group is a toolbar). Right click the new toolbar, that will give you various options, such as adding buttons.
The options are self explanatory, but if you do need help, just ask.

In the "materials window"-> "Material tab", just select a material-> "Load to scene", which will add that material to the "Scene materials" list.

created the new user tool window easy enough.
How do i add the functions to the buttons?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 05, 2013, 12:57:25 am
After you have added a button to the group:- right click the new button, in the options:- "Button-> Customize Button", that brings up the "User Tool Button Customization".
In the customization window, you will see various options/setting, such as changing the size of the buttons hight/width, adding text or an image to the button. You can also add text for a tool tip.
In the bottom section of that window, you will see "Event Actions", those are to add commands/functions to the different mouse clicks. So for example, if you wanted to set that button to open the materials window with a left click, you would go to the event actions, and on the line "On LMB Click" you left click on the "Set" to set a command/action. That then brings up the "Tool List" showing the tools currently available to add to that command. Because I was adding a command for the "Material window", look at the top of the "Tool list" and use the drop down menu to select "Windows" which will then move the list down to the windows section, you can then double left click on "Materials window" and that command will be added to the LMB for the button. If you then wanted to add, for example, a command to open the "scene explorer" using the right mouse button for that button, just left click on the "Set" for the "On RMB Click" and select the command from the tool list.
Once you have added the tools/commands to the buttons, and added the text/images etc, click "OK". In the "User tools" window, you can then add further buttons if wanted, or, if you have finished, right click in the window and select "Exit Customization". Once you exit, you can test the button to make sure you have set it correctly. For the settings I made above, by left mouse click on the button the materials window will show,(if I left click again, the materials window will hide). A right mouse click will bring up the scene explorer (and hide it with a second right mouse click)

Hope that helps.

• No avatar
  • Spline
February 05, 2013, 02:28:14 am
ok got it steve thanks.
I need to slow down and read everything in each window.