News:

Topic: grid size  (Read 33413 times)

• Edge
November 29, 2012, 08:50:50 pm
Trying to get the grid to match up with centimeters and millimeters.

This box is approximately 15 cm x 21 cm. I'm taking a guess, that it can be adjusted in preferences.
Right now the grid sizes is 25.000.
The problem that I'm having is I'm trying to keep it to Poser scale. I've already changed the import scale from 100, to 1000.
It still seems like it's still coming in, to small.:

How can I get the grid size to match up to centimeters and millimeters?

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
November 29, 2012, 09:53:49 pm
Can you do this

1. Edit > Preference > General > Unit Setup. Check the 'Generic' option.
2. Create a box of 1x1x1.
3. Export the box to Poser and measure the box size in Poser in millimeters.

Once you have the box's measurement in Poser, I will be able to tell you how to set things up.

• Edge
November 30, 2012, 12:10:36 am
Thanks IStonia,
                 I'll do that. ;D

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 30, 2012, 12:26:45 am
Hi IStonia,

I know no way to measure an object in Poser. You would need to "best guess" the size compared to the character being used (all characters are slightly different sizes).

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
November 30, 2012, 12:56:12 am
Hi IStonia,

I know no way to measure an object in Poser. You would need to "best guess" the size compared to the character being used (all characters are slightly different sizes).

Another way is to import a standard character from Poser and measure its height in generic unit. 3dwizzard, can you do this?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 30, 2012, 01:08:17 am
Hi IStonia,

As I am curious of your method, I will jump in. Hope that is OK.

I have imported a standard Poser "Simon G2", importing at scale = 1.0000, its hight is 0.7542 units.

[for information. Different Poser character size (units) can be found here:- http://www.morphography.uk.vu/scaleobj.html )

@3dwizzard,

If you post the size as requested, I will exit the thread until you are done.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 02:12:17 am by steve »

• Edge
November 30, 2012, 02:14:57 am
I see now. It was set up right. I just didn't know you could only see it in Orthographic views.
And you really have to zoom in close.

My question should have been. Can you set up the workplane to match millimeters at this scale?

Sorry for the confusion. I never worked with the workplane before.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 30, 2012, 03:55:23 am
Hi 3dwizzard  :)

When we looked at this previously, we where looking at setting the grid based on imported figure. It was so the grid reflected the size of the import. From your first post, you now want to have your import sync with the grid, which is different.

In your first post, you show you want the grid to show the size of model in cm. To do that, you would need to change the unit setting to "0.100 as one MM", so that each grid spacing is 1 cm. You would then need to change the import/export to get your character/objects to import/export correctly.

For an example:
I set the "0.100 as one MM"
The character I am importing is (I decided) 6 feet tall (6 x 12 x 2.54 = 182.8 cm). The actual characters hight, by default is 0.7542 units. I change the import scale to 242.376 (182.8 / 0.7542), that then brings in the character at 1.828 meters (182.8 cm). The export then needs to be set at 0.004

I forgot to add:- In the "Edit -> Preference" I set the "Grid" "floor grid"/"workplane grid" "Interval" to 1.000 to give the correct spacing of 1 grid space = 1 cm. You can adjust that as needed. If for example, you are creating small detail, you could change the grid interval down to (for example) 0.1, which would then give a grid spacing of 1 mm

Of course, there may be an easier way to do this, that is why I am curious as to how IStonia would set this up.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 05:17:40 am by steve »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
November 30, 2012, 12:11:48 pm
Here is my method. Please use the new update version.

1. Calculate unit scale.
   The character real world height = 1828 mm.
   The character system height     = 0.7542 unit.
   Unit scale = 0.7542/1828 = 0.000413.

2. Set unit scale.
   Open the 'Preference' form. Edit > Preference. Open the 'General' tab. In 'Unit Setup' group, set 0.000413 as MM. Don't forget to check this option as well.

3. Set grid interval.
   Open the 'Grid' tab. In 'Floor Grid' group, I have
   Major Segs                  = 4.
   Minor Segs                  = 10.
   The rough floor size I want = 2000 mm.
   The interval value          = 2000/(4x10) = 50 mm.
   type 50 into the 'Interval' field.

4. Click 'Apply' button.

Steve, if your scene scale is not 0.001, set it to 0.001. The grid size will change, so you need to set grid interval to 50mm again.
To check weather the scene scale is good, do 'View > Reset View' on a perspective viewport. If it is good, the grid size should be not too small not too big.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 30, 2012, 03:47:10 pm
Hi IStonia,

I see you have made some changes to the programme to accommodate, that cheating   ::) ;D

Being able to enter the better precision for unit size/grid interval saves the extra steps of scaling the object on import/export. So it does make it more straight forward. Thanks.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 01, 2012, 03:30:51 pm
Hi 3dwizzard,

Where you able to follow?
Do you think a step by step guide may help you/others better?

• Edge
December 01, 2012, 07:54:34 pm
Sorry it's taking so long.
Scale was always hard for me to wrap my head around.

Before it was always coming in, small. Now it's coming in, large.
Not sure what I am doing wrong:

Another thing I noticed, when I create a box 1 mm x 1 mm x 1 mm. it doesn't look right.

I'm assuming that the grid should measure a centimeter. But this one looks like 2 cm.
If I'm not mistaking, there are 10 mm to 1 cm. Isn't this correct?

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 02, 2012, 12:11:11 am
3d wizzard, in the example, I used informations from steve. Because he uses different import/export scale settings from yours, your settings can't be the same as his.

In your case, do the following.
1. Edit > Preference. Set 0.0413 as one MM. Click 'Apply' button to close.
2. Edit > Preference to bring up the form again. Set your grid interval value to 50 mm. Click 'Apply' button to close.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 02, 2012, 12:45:11 am
Hi IStonia,

Unfortunately, that would be guessing.
As I mentioned above, in my example, the characters real world hight was decided by me. So the scale/units sizes to set would depend on the character being used and what real world hight the user decide on for that character (or prop). It is a pain, but when they created Poser and the characters, there was never a definitive real world size for any of the characters, they are just "best guessed" by the user.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 02, 2012, 12:57:29 am
Hi IStonia,

Unfortunately, that would be guessing.
As I mentioned above, in my example, the characters real world hight was decided by me. So the scale/units sizes to set would depend on the character being used and what real world hight the user decide on for that character (or prop). It is a pain, but when they created Poser and the characters, there was never a definitive real world size for any of the characters, they are just "best guessed" by the user.

It may probably be fine. Let's see what the outcome will be.