News:

Topic: grid size  (Read 33490 times)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 08, 2012, 11:51:28 pm
Sorry, but you are not really seeing my point.

Forget about 3dwizzard setting and forget about my settings.

The new default "scene scale" setting is 0.01
 Will that cause issue when using that default?

The answer is it won't. At the new default scene scale, the scene scale the program uses is still 0.01 although it is now presented as 1 to user. It is this 0.01 value will be used to calculate soft selection, internal rounding threshold, etc.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 09, 2012, 12:23:27 am
I do not understand.

You put forward earlier that the "scene scale" can cause issue. But now you put forward that there is no issues with "scene scale" settings.

From the point of soft selection, the issue is easy to see, as with the new defaults only a spherical selection of approx 95 units is allowed.

Ah well, never mind.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 09, 2012, 01:06:48 am
I may not understand your point correctly. I can't tell wheather you are telling there is a problem or you are not sure of something. I'll try to explain a bit more. I'll take the soft selection as an example.

If you have a scene scale at 1(new naming). The soft selection range would be something like 0 to 100.
If you have a scene scale at 10(new nameing). The soft selection range would be something lik 0 1o 1000.

So if you have a large object but a much small scene scale setting, the soft seletion range may not big enough.

likewise, if you have a small object but a much larger scene scale setting, the available soft selection range may be too much and this may cause problem in soft selection sensitivity in adjusting. That's why it is not a good idea to have a fixed soft selection range of '0 to a very large value' to suit all cases.

So, to avoid any potential problem, select the scene scale to suit object size or scale objects to suit scene scale. Do a 'view reset' will tells you wheather it is set properly, because the distance between the world origin and the camera will be set to a value which is scene scale dependent.

I really don't know how other app handle this. I guess some of them have no scene scale concept at all. Or they just have one and only fixed scene scale, so the only thing people can do or need to do is to scale their objects if they are too big or too small, then use the scale settings in import/export to compensate.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 10, 2012, 12:00:25 am
I may not understand your point correctly. I can't tell wheather you are telling there is a problem or you are not sure of something.
I am not sure of the information you are putting forward about "unexpected problems" related to "scene scale" where you are mentioning some tools/functions affected, but indicate more, or as to how those tools/functions are actually affected.
I'll try to explain a bit more. I'll take the soft selection as an example.
The "Soft selection" is an example that can be seen by the user, so yes, an easy example. But that in no way explains the other possible problems on the tools/functions you have mentioned, and not mentioned.

So, what tools/functions are affected by scene scale, and just as importantly, how are they affected?

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 10, 2012, 12:40:07 am
The soft selection is the best example to explain how scene scale affect things. In general, a value that is affected by scene scale will get bigger or smaller when the scene scale goes up or down.

There are quite a few of them and I don't have a list in hand and it is not easy to collect them as they spread among codes.

I think it's better not to explain them, because the more I try to explain the more confusing it may get, not every body can understand it well. Users don't have to know about them and better not to know them at all. So far I have little complain about this. You may worry that some very horrible things may happen if the scene scale is not set correctly. I can say that only some minor annoying things may happen. It won't damage or twist object's geometry.

I can see now that scene scale setting can be a very confusing thing for people. I will add an 'Auto Scene Scale' option to let the programe to check the scene and adjust scene scale automatically when needed and you will see the floor grid changes its size. When you decide to stick to a scene scale, you can just turn this option off. Hopefull this can help.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 10, 2012, 01:11:02 am
I can see now that scene scale setting can be a very confusing thing for people.
It can be confusing when you put forward a warning of having to use correct "scene scale" otherwise "unexpected problems", but then refuse to explain what that warning actually concerns.

Going back to the "soft selection". The only (due to lack of any other explanation) reason I see, to have to change the "scene scale", is due to "soft selection" limitations you have set for its max value, OR, it could be seen as you have intentionally placed the limit of it selection size based on a % of current scene scale rather than a % of current object selection(s)

Another potential problem (due to not knowing what the original problem is), is due to the "scene scale" being based on scene/object full size(number of units). I work on many large objects, but most of the time only work on small sections of that object adding detail. In such a case, should the scene scale be set to the full objects size or the size of the area I am working on?

« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 01:25:24 am by steve »

• Administrator
  • Polygon
December 10, 2012, 01:45:53 am
man you guys are really over thinking shit, i just leave the scene scale at what was formally 1 and what is now 100, and just make the grid expand out quite a large distance like 512 to 1024 units, than just work on my environment assets, or if working on something small like a weapon, i still just leave the scene scale alone and tweak the grid settings again, to maybe have smaller grid, and smaller distance between lines.

actually by the way if there isn't already a way to do that, it would be nice to have a command for, taking the interval up and down, and doing the same for the major segments. though that might take a little work since you would need to give control to how much it goes up and down, since i would want to make sure it maintains the power of 2 numbers i use for everything.

with in other packages, controls like that are usually something i script in myself, but that cant really be done with nvil.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 01:48:07 am by Passerby »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 10, 2012, 01:54:12 am
man you guys are really over thinking shit,

A warning was given by the programmer as to using the application. I am asking questions concerning that warning.
If you think that is "shit" fair enough.

I will ask no more questions!

• Administrator
  • Polygon
December 10, 2012, 02:18:59 am
ya but i just test shit out, and make sure it doesn't break my workflows before stressing out about changes like that, and what i saw was so minor it doesn't even matter to me with the change.

you should prolly do the same, work on knocking out some quick shapes, or make a prop, and see if this change effects you or not?

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 10, 2012, 02:58:33 am
Another potential problem (due to not knowing what the original problem is), is due to the "scene scale" being based on scene/object full size(number of units). I work on many large objects, but most of the time only work on small sections of that object adding detail. In such a case, should the scene scale be set to the full objects size or the size of the area I am working on?

I don't know. But if you work on the object's molecule size level, the soft selection won't work properly, otherwise it may or may not. If you want to know exactly the smallest area you can work on without changing the scene scale, I have to check the code and find out the percentage used then you will use that value to apply to your object to get the smallest area value. That would be troublesome.
If the soft selection does not work properly, change scene scale surely can solve it because soft selection range is scene scale dependent instead of object size depenent.

The best thing is just do what you want to do in modeling. If problems occured, we can try to find the solution.

passerby: Just the naming of scene scale is changed. That is my fault. Following is the naming mapping
old          new
0.001        0.1
0.01         1
0.1          10
1            100
10           1000
100          10000
1000         100000

Actually, you don't have change your setting at all because it is just naming changing not the value behind it.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 10, 2012, 03:01:58 am
ya but i just test shit out, and make sure it doesn't break my workflows before stressing out about changes like that, and what i saw was so minor it doesn't even matter to me with the change.

you should prolly do the same, work on knocking out some quick shapes, or make a prop, and see if this change effects you or not?
Interesting way of working.
If I report another bug, I will just put forward I am getting unexpected results, not mention the actual tool/function or the problem, and state you should test shit out to see if you can find the problem.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 10, 2012, 03:04:39 am
...............the soft selection won't work properly, otherwise it may or may not. .

You appear to be focused now only on the soft selection tool, when you put forward "unexpected problems" with various other tools/functions.

Anyway, forget about it.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 10, 2012, 03:31:14 am
actually by the way if there isn't already a way to do that, it would be nice to have a command for, taking the interval up and down, and doing the same for the major segments. though that might take a little work since you would need to give control to how much it goes up and down, since i would want to make sure it maintains the power of 2 numbers i use for everything.

Can you give an example of how it works?