News:

Topic: grid size  (Read 33526 times)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 04, 2012, 06:45:15 pm
Hi 3dwizzard,

I think I would like to go with 103.2 inches. It seems to be the scale for P6 and up.
OK, no problem.
Is that 25.4 a constant for converting inches to mm?
Yes,
How would I do that? Is that when you change interval? If so, to what?
Yes, change the "Preference -> Grid -> Interval". As to what interval, that would depend on what you are working on. You could set the interval to 1mm if working on something small, or set it to 50 mm if working on somethin larger. The interval will not change the scene scale, it only changes the grid density (how many lines you see) and therefore the distance you have snapping points on the grid.

What I would really like, is to create a box to Poser scale. And be able to use the cm & mm grid for a reference while I'm modeling.
You can do that once set.

You can leave the .obj import/export scale as you have set.
We will set the Grid Interval for a character, which due to the character size, we do not want the grid to be too dense (too many line).
The setting to make in NVIL are:-

"Edit -> Preference -> General" -> "Unit setup" -> "0.038149 as one mm"
"Edit -> Preference -> Grid" -> You can set all 3 "Interval" to 50 mm

Now import the character and check the hight (the size in Y direction). "Jessi P6" will show as being 1.86m (the hight shown on the chart I linked to).

When you now open NVIL, that scale will be set.
You may need to change the "Grid -> Interval", but that Interval will depend on what you actually want.
If you want to work to cm, have the "Grid Interval" set to 10mm (1 cm = 10 mm).

Can you follow that OK?
Just ask if anything unclear.

• Edge
December 04, 2012, 09:07:30 pm
Hi steve,
                        I'm beginning to see now. The scale is dependent on figured that you are using.
And the grid is determined by the intervals. So if you set it to 10 mm. Your grid will show
centimeters squares. If you set the intervals to 50 mm. Your grid will show 5 cm squares.

I just set it to 100 mm, and it looks like 10 cm squares to me.

What does the view grid intervals do? I change the settings, and I don't see nothing happening.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 04, 2012, 09:54:03 pm
Hi 3dwizzard,

I'm beginning to see now. The scale is dependent on figured that you are using.
Yes.

What we are now doing is setting the scale to what is put forward as being the scene scale in poser 6. So once the unit size is set in NVIL, all the characters, when imported into NVIL, will be the hight as shown in the list (I linked to).

And the grid is determined by the intervals. So if you set it to 10 mm. Your grid will show
centimeters squares. If you set the intervals to 50 mm. Your grid will show 5 cm squares.

I just set it to 100 mm, and it looks like 10 cm squares to me.
That is correct, yes.

What does the view grid intervals do? I change the settings, and I don't see nothing happening.
That is for setting the grid intervals for the orthographic views (front, top, left right etc). That will set the default grid size (when that view is reset).

Note:-
That can get a little confusing as the grid for those views is dynamic, meaning the grid will change as you zoom in/out. The easiest way to keep a check on the grid, is "View -> Display -> Heads up Display" and enable "Show view Size" That will add information as to "View size" and "Grid"

Here is that option enabled. I am in the "Front view" at default. The readout shows the grid at 1.0000 (which is the interval I have set.)

As I zoom in on that view, the grid changes, but I can see from that readout what the new grid interval is:-

I am not quite sure as to why it does that in the orographic locked views (although I do find it useful), or as to why it does not do that in the Perspective (unlocked) views. IStonia would need to answer that.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 04, 2012, 10:16:27 pm
I am not quite sure as to why it does that in the orographic locked views (although I do find it useful), or as to why it does not do that in the Perspective (unlocked) views. IStonia would need to answer that.

The print out spacing value is the actual spacing between visible grid lines. Since the grid lines keep changing as you zoom in/out in orthographic view, the print out value will change to reflect it. It does that too in perspective view if you change the scene scale.

3dwizzard, make sure you have the right scene scale, 0.1. Some calcualation operations are scene scale dependent. Keep it right and you will avoid some unexpected problems.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 04, 2012, 10:26:26 pm

The print out spacing value is the actual spacing between visible grid lines. Since the grid lines keep changing as you zoom in/out in orthographic view, the print out value will change to reflect it. It does that too in perspective view if you change the scene scale.

That does not answer the actual question as to why the grid line spacing changes as you zoom in/out in orthographic view, but not in Perspective view.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 04, 2012, 10:45:02 pm
This brings more questions,

make sure you have the right scene scale, 0.1. Some calcualation operations are scene scale dependent.
Why have a base/default scene scale of 0.1?
I would normally always go with a base/default scale of 1

Keep it right and you will avoid some unexpected problems.
That puts forward that changing the scene scale can give unexpected results. Such as what?

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 04, 2012, 10:48:51 pm

That does not answer the actual question as to why the grid line spacing changes as you zoom in/out in orthographic view, but not in Perspective view.

I don't know wheather it's a good idea to do that. Also I don't have a good idea of how to do it.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 04, 2012, 10:57:11 pm
This brings more questions,

make sure you have the right scene scale, 0.1. Some calcualation operations are scene scale dependent.
Why have a base/default scene scale of 0.1?
I would normally always go with a base/default scale of 1

Keep it right and you will avoid some unexpected problems.
That puts forward that changing the scene scale can give unexpected results. Such as what?

0.1 scene scale is not the default value. It refers to 3dwizzard's setting. The default scene scale is 1.

The scene scale affects the soft selection range. I remember that you know that. Also, it affects the value zero rounding threshold in cut and boolean operations. There are also a few other things like view reset, retopo offset, etc.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 04, 2012, 11:08:52 pm
0.1 scene scale is not the default value. It refers to 3dwizzard's setting. The default scene scale is 1.

The default scene scale setting is 0.1 That is the setting by default, the setting in place from a new start up configuration.

You can reset the scale, which takes it to 1. But why would you need (or be expected) to reset the scale to get it to default when you have not changed it from installation default?

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 04, 2012, 11:34:42 pm

The default scene scale setting is 0.1 That is the setting by default, the setting in place from a new start up configuration.

You can reset the scale, which takes it to 1. But why would you need (or be expected) to reset the scale to get it to default when you have not changed it from installation default?

There is a bug. I will fix it.

Edit: Currently, a very few settings are still stored in registry. I will move them to the app setting file. But the registry settings will not get deleted as it has been being used. So if you delete your setting files, the registry settings will take over. Your will not get your default settings unless your delete the registry settings.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 12:51:31 am by IStonia »

• Edge
December 05, 2012, 09:24:50 pm
Are these the scene setting you guys are talking about?:

I'm still confused as to what I should set this.

Does this mean we can actually print out with the grid lines on it? If so, how do we print out?
I've already tried Ctrl+P, and nothing happened.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 05, 2012, 09:40:03 pm
Yes, you just need to set it to 0.1. That the value most suits your settings. It is currently 10 in your screen shot.

The "Print out" I used here actually means "Displaying". I can see them in your screen shot, Floor 10.0000mm 10.0000mm.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 09:42:19 pm by IStonia »

• Edge
December 07, 2012, 12:03:43 am
Hi IStonia,
                  I just did this settings to 0.1 as you can see it was very small:

The black is the inside of the box. I adjusted this setting to 1.
It was better, but still small.
10 seems to be just about right. But I wondered how it would import into Poser.
So I imported it into, Poser 6, Poser 7, and Poser Pro. I had no problems.
It imported very nicely, and seem to scale:

Do you think I'll have problems down the road with this?
It seems to be working fine right now.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 07, 2012, 12:38:11 am
Hi 3dwizzard,

I just did this settings to 0.1 as you can see it was very small:

When you change the "Scene scale" that also automatically changes the "Grid Intervals", so the "Grid intervals" need to be changed to be corrected.

So,... Change the "Scene scale" to 0.1. Go into "Preference -> Grid" and change the Intervals to what they should be. You should then go to [top menu]"View" and select "Reset View". Check how the grid looks then, it should be OK.

I know this can be a bit confusing, but once set, you will not need to change again.

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
December 07, 2012, 08:26:36 am
I know this can be a bit confusing, but once set, you will not need to change again.

What about some standard settings? With measurements where the Grid Interval fits to the Scene Scale? This would reduce the confusion quite a bit :)

I think of a 1x1x1 box here, imported from the common packages and tools. Where you know that they are 1x1x1 meter in let`s say Blender. Or Unity. Or Max. Or Cine. Or ... . And where you simply can choose from a dropdown list to have a equal grid and scene setup then.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 08:30:16 am by Tiles »
Free Gamegraphics, Freeware Games http//www.reinerstilesets.de