News:

Topic: y-up or z-up  (Read 7877 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
December 04, 2012, 12:32:10 pm
Hey, I'm not sure if I'm overlooking something or whether it's even possible but I can't find anything in the docs or on this forum.

Is there a way for changing the world coordinate system to be z-up (similar to 3dsMax or Unreal)?

We've changed recently from y-up and I have to rotate the model before export and import which isn't ideal especially for rigged characters.

Thanks
Senior 3D Artist

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 04, 2012, 08:06:02 pm
There is 'Z-Up' Option for dae export.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 04, 2012, 08:23:36 pm
Is there a way for changing the world coordinate system to be z-up (similar to 3dsMax or Unreal)?

In NVIL, I use the workplane, set it to planer XY with Z up, then "View -> Perpendicular to Workplane". That gives me a world co-ordinate system with Z-up.
To switch back, I just "View-> "Reset camera up-vector"

To add:- I turn the floor-grid off.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 08:30:04 pm by steve »

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
December 05, 2012, 09:39:58 am
Hey guys thanks for the responses.

Istonia:  It's really the world coordinate system I need to change as we're using the Unreal engine at work now and Maya as our main package.  Maya is by default y-up but Unreal is z-up so we've recently changed to use the Unreal system.  So importing any of the assets from Maya are now lying on their side unfortunately.

steve:  Thanks but I was hoping that someone would mention using the workplane workaround.  This is the method that I have been using temporarily until someone could tell me otherwise, or Istonia could implement a change to the Preferences.  It works for the time being but it's not very ideal.
Senior 3D Artist

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 05, 2012, 10:08:25 am
There would be huge issues to make the world coordinate system customizable.

Maybe the best option is to add a z-up option to the obj export/import settings. What do you think?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 05, 2012, 10:22:22 am
It works for the time being but it's not very ideal.

Sorry, I do not see the problem.

I have set the workplane for Z-up, set the view, stored the workplane transform. Save that base scene.

When I want to work in Z-up, I load that scene.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 05, 2012, 11:44:21 am
ghib, see if the new export/import option helps.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
December 05, 2012, 11:51:19 am
Thanks Istonia I'll take a look on my break or when I next get a chance.

steve, I'm just concerned that the workplane won't cover ALL conceivable implications of the coordinate system.  Meaning that with workplane switched on it will essentially override the World Grid globally across the entire app.  It's all very well saying that it works for you but it might not work for everyone. 

I use the workplane all the time but I was just poking to see if it was something Istonia could implement at the base level of Nvil.

I'm going to try the new import/export options next and give feedback.
Senior 3D Artist

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
December 06, 2012, 12:10:37 pm
Istonia: Just replying to say that introducing up axis option on import/export works and is a better option than the workplane workaround.  I'll keep an eye on this though and report if it breaks workflow in any way.
Senior 3D Artist