News:

Topic: Is there a way to multi-delete materials?  (Read 11407 times)

• Edge
November 17, 2012, 01:42:44 am
Is there a way to multi-delete materials?

I was trying to figure out how to do booleans in VW.

When I figured out what I was trying to do,
I looked at the scene materials dialog box. And saw a lot of materials.

I'm taking it that when you undo, it does not undo the material. Or is this some kind of bug?  ???

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 17, 2012, 02:05:23 am

It is currently not possible to select more than one material, so I do not know a way to multi-delete them within NVIL.

Not sure about what you mean with "Undo material", can you give an example?

[Your post does remind me I have a request for the materials. I will make that now before I forget again.]

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
November 17, 2012, 08:39:25 am
Hm, what about selecting the whole geometry and repaint it with one single material?
Free Gamegraphics, Freeware Games http//www.reinerstilesets.de

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
November 17, 2012, 12:22:45 pm

It is possible now. MMB.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 17, 2012, 12:32:22 pm
Hm, what about selecting the whole geometry and repaint it with one single material?
That would replace multi-materials on the object(s), but still does not allow multi-selection/deletion of the materials.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 17, 2012, 01:05:01 pm

It is possible now. MMB.

I am not sure that is what was wanted, as it does mean first selecting each material one by one via the material icons.
I will wait to see feedback from 3dwizzard.

• Edge
November 17, 2012, 03:50:39 pm
I'm sorry, I may have jumped the gun a bit.
When I re-opened the scene. The only materials that remained, were the ones that were being used.
I didn't know VW did this.

Now I'm having a problem with everything combinding.
It only happens when I close, and reopen.
Should I split it into its own mesh before I Chamfer?

It just takes so long to select all those faces after Chamfer.
I can only select in face mode. Then split into its own object. And it's very easy to miss one.

Maybe this will help:

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 17, 2012, 04:02:26 pm
Hi 3dwizzard,

You are working on an .obj file, so that will, when saved(as .obj format) remove unused materials.

Now I'm having a problem with everything combinding
By default, on opening an .obj file, all meshes will be joined/merged. You can change the import options which can split the .obj model up on import/opening. There is also now an option to show the export/import options when opening/saving such a file.  Edit > Preference > General > "Show format options on import/export"

Change(enable) the import option to "Divide into objects by polygon Groups".
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 04:04:01 pm by steve »

• Edge
November 18, 2012, 04:23:46 pm
Hi steve,

I don't know. I updated to the latest version, 2.4 17 November 2012.
I believe I set the import and export options right. And then save it.

But when I open it, it comes in combine:

It shows the import options dialog box, so it is doing what it's supposed to do.
The middle mouse button to select the materials is working." Nice job IStonia!"

The boxes above and below the lid, I don't know where they came from.
I can only think of two possibilities.
1. When I created the lid, I had to use absolute, and with the scale manipulator.
    The lid, is only a quarter inch thick. Maybe that had something to do with it.

2. I did a boolean to create the box. I subtracted B from A.
   The three stacks of boxes, looks like you come out of the other box. But it didn't, it's the same size as the box.

I am leaning more towards the absolute and offset. It seems a little buggy when I go under 1.0000".
I have to fight with it. It always wants to revert back to the old setting.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 18, 2012, 05:20:47 pm
Hi 3dwizzard,

I am not currently seeing a problem with the export/import of .obj files. They are exporting/importing correctly to the settings made. You may be better for now to split the boxes up manually, then try a re-save, but save as (in export options) "Regroup polygons by meshes".
To split the meshes into separate objects (in NVIL), you should be able to select all the polygons on one mesh by going into "sub_object polygon" and double left click on one of the polygons on a mesh, that should select all the polygons on that single mesh and you can "Split" it off as a separate object.

The boxes above and below the lid, I don't know where they came from.
Are they the original boxes you used for the boolean? In the Boolean tool, before you actually select the "Mesh B" for the boolean, have a look at the options, as by default the options to "Copy B" and "Hide B" are enabled. That means when you make the boolean, a copy of "Mesh B" is saved and hidden.(If you then "Save scene" as .obj, the hidden object(s) will be saved, when re-loading the .obj file, the hidden objects will then be seen).

• Edge
November 18, 2012, 11:26:39 pm
Thanks Steve,
                       I think that will work better for me. For now, I'll save all the individual pieces with their own file.
I disabled Copy B and Hide B, in the Boolean options. That got rid of those boxes when opening.

"sub_object polygon"  okay, now I'm lost. I looked for a long time for that option. No luck.
Can you give me a hint where it is?

I've been hacking at this for a few hours now. I'll have a better understanding of it, when I sleep on it. Otherwise I get too frustrated.
It's usually something simple.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 19, 2012, 07:15:59 am
Hi 3dwizzard,

"Sub_object Polygon".
Sorry, I was just referring to going into Sub_object "polygon selection" mode.

• Edge
November 20, 2012, 01:51:43 pm
Okay, thanks.
             I'll have to experiment a little bit more. Probably not until the weekend.
It's getting harder to find time these days.  :(

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 20, 2012, 02:34:04 pm
Hi 3dwizzard,

If you are struggling to find time, then do not fight with the software. It is (IMHO) far better to ask a question, which takes a couple of minutes, rather than struggle for an hour trying to do something, or find the correct tool/function in the software.

I do not know at what stage you are with 3d modeling. Do you need help with 3d modeling basics, or with specific tools/functions within NVIL? I am no expert, but will help when I can.

With 3d modeling there can be different ways of getting the result you want. For example, with creating your box, you decided to use booleans, a lot of 3d modelers would advise against that, and instead use other methods.
For your box model, I am not quite sure as to how the lid on the box is supposed to fit, but I will put together a post showing one way I would make a box with lid.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 20, 2012, 04:24:41 pm
Hi 3dwizzard,

Here is one way to create a box with fitting lid. I decided to make the lid fit over the top of the box, similar to a shoe box.

As we are making a box, I thought to start with a box primitive:-

In "Object mode" select "Box". I have entered the sizes of the box into the options. I do not need the box to be segmented(divided up) so have left them all at 1. After entering the sizes, press "Create".

The box will be created, just press "Enter" to confirm.
Go into "Polygon selection" mode, and select the top polygon of the box:-

Either press "Delete" on the keyboard, or click on "Visual tools > Remove" to delete the selected polygon. That will leave you an hollow box.

To add thickness to the box, we will use "Shell"
Go into "Mesh selection" > Select the box > click on "Shell"

There is a then a popup window, where you can add a thickness. Because (in this example) I want the thickness to move inward, I enter a negative value. I have entered -0.2 [If preferred, rather than entering a value into the popup options, you can move your mouse cursor into the main view-port, left click(hold down) and drag the mouse, that will create the shell/thickness]