News:

Topic: User Toolbars - Snapping - Plane vs Toggle Plane  (Read 9751 times)

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
November 16, 2012, 08:33:21 am
In the User Toolbars i have one button for every snapping method to toggle its functionality. Like the Plane button. Then i have a second set for every snapping method that does exactly the same. Like the Toggle Plane button.

What`s the difference?

Why not just have one toolset instead of the double toolset with exact same functionality? Is this something software internal?
Free Gamegraphics, Freeware Games http//www.reinerstilesets.de

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 16, 2012, 09:11:43 am
I do not follow. You are creating more than one snap function user toolbar?

-----------

My own setup for snapping [user toolbar], is to have 3 different functions on each snap button.

1. LMB: Selects the snap function, disables all others
2. MMB: Toggle snap. enables or disables selected snap function but does not change other snap options.
3: RMB: Toggle snap all on/all off

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
November 16, 2012, 09:53:30 am
No, it`s about the User Toolbar. I´ve given each available tool its own button. But for the snapping options there is a double set of buttons now, with same functionality.

The one set is called "plane", "face", "grid line", etc. . And the second set is called "toggle plane", "toggle face", "toggle grid line" etc. . And as told, they both do the same. When i click at the "plane" button then the "toggle plane" button changes to activated or deactivated too. And vice versa.

You can see them in this shot. The "plane", etc. buttons are with black button background, the "toggle plane", etc. buttons are with blue background.

The point is the availability of the tool. We have a "face" tool that can be connected to a button, and we have a"toggle face" tool that can be connected to a button.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 09:55:20 am by Tiles »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 16, 2012, 10:17:14 am
No, it`s about the User Toolbar. I´ve given each available tool its own button. But for the snapping options there is a double set of buttons now, with same functionality.

Sorry, I do not understand the logic of that. That would be like giving each "Basic stream_line tool" its own hotkey.

With the streamline engine tools, they can consist of more than one basic streamline tool + possible other event actions. That is intended to streamline the commands. So that one hotkey can call several commands which are then chosen via a mouse click. You need to look at the user toolbars in the same way. That is why for the user toolbars button customization, you have the availability of different mouse clicks, to call different "Event actions".

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
November 16, 2012, 11:01:27 am
Well, it`s not about logic or if it makes sense at this point. I just connect what is available and what has functionality through the User Toolbars. This will be the master Usertoolbar that contains all possible buttons. So i better don`t decide at this point which tool makes sense to the user. The user may decide different :)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 11:05:09 am by Tiles »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 16, 2012, 11:12:26 am
Well, it`s not about logic or if it makes sense at this point.
If it is not logical or sensible as to what you are doing, then I see no point to it.

So from your current approach, you will also be adding a separate button for every "Basic streamline tool"   ???

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
November 16, 2012, 11:23:31 am

The one set is called "plane", "face", "grid line", etc. . And the second set is called "toggle plane", "toggle face", "toggle grid line" etc. . And as told, they both do the same. When i click at the "plane" button then the "toggle plane" button changes to activated or deactivated too. And vice versa.

You can see them in this shot. The "plane", etc. buttons are with black button background, the "toggle plane", etc. buttons are with blue background.

The point is the availability of the tool. We have a "face" tool that can be connected to a button, and we have a"toggle face" tool that can be connected to a button.

"Plane": turning 'Plane snapping' on/off, turning off all other snapping options.
"Toggle Plane": turning 'Plane snapping' on/off, other snapping options remain unchanged.

I think it's a better idea to put them into on button but assigned to different mouse buttons as steve does.

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
November 16, 2012, 11:52:02 am
If it is not logical or sensible as to what you are doing, then I see no point to it.

The logic at this point is to connect all available tools with a button.

I´m a bit slower than thought. I am still at stage two with the user toolbars, to connect all available tools and give them proper descriptions. Stage one was to create all available buttons with their icons. To create the work ready toolbars, which is stage three, isn`t started yet. And that`s the point where your logic comes into handy, where you trash buttons and/or place its functionality as mmb or rmb click functionality into other buttons. My fault, should´ve said it clearer :)

So from your current approach, you will also be adding a separate button for every "Basic streamline tool"   ???

No, this danger doesn`t exist because this tools are not available through the User Toolbar buttons.

"Plane": turning 'Plane snapping' on/off, turning off all other snapping options.
"Toggle Plane": turning 'Plane snapping' on/off, other snapping options remain unchanged.

Ah, there it is. Didn`t notice this difference from using them. Gives me a good description too. Thanks :)

I think it's a better idea to put them into on button but assigned to different mouse buttons as steve does.

This is something i will surely do for the work ready toolbars then*. But as told, currently i just have a look to connect all available tools and give them a description. This toolbar will be the master toolbar with all available tools. Hidden, in form of mmb or rmb buttonclicks functionality is not good here. I want to show what is available. This is the base to build your own toolbars from then. So i add everything as Left mouse Button functionality here.

* I think since a pretty while how to visually tell the user if or what other functionality a button has. And ended with coloured triangles as the best idea. A red triangle up right for right click functionality. And a red triangle in the left corner for middle mouse button functionality.

My dilemma here is that i end in a triple buttonset by that. Something that you are surely not happy to include with neither. The current buttonset already occupies over 5 mb. So i will most likely just mark the ones that way where i really have rmb or mmb click functionality later in my work ready toolbars.

And in the end it shold be fairly easy even for rookies to paint a red triangle at a button. Which means it doesn`t really make sense to deliver my buttonset with this red triangles too. Well, maybe a single graphics with this red triangle, and the rest transparent. So that the user can grab and paste it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 11:56:18 am by Tiles »

• Administrator
  • Polygon
November 16, 2012, 09:57:24 pm
there are actually 3 different keys for each snapping not 2, and there is not reason for you to map all 3, there is the self titled snapping tools, which turn snapping on for only taht one snapping type, there is toggle, which turn snapping on or off for a type and allows multiple snapping options on at once, and there is enable temporary which is meant to be bound to keys, and keeps snapping on while the key is being held and turns it off on key release.

your best to ignore the temp one and make 1 set of buttons where lmb = toggle and rmb= set snapping.

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
November 17, 2012, 08:37:45 am
Will do in step 3, thanks :)

As told, currently i just want to connect all available tools and give them proper descriptions. And i do this by connecting all available tools with left click functionality and one by one for told reason. This is my full set where i build the toolbars from then.

The "temporary" buttons are already removed since they don`t have button functionality :)