News:

Topic: [2011-Oct-27) Object/Mesh Pivot Streamline error  (Read 11331 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
October 31, 2011, 03:24:51 pm
Something seems to be wrong with these Streamline tools for manipulating the mesh and object pivots.

Once you have placed and rotated the pivot to the desired location and you then try to rotate the object it will offset.  It doesn't seem random as it seems to be a consistent rotation each time (possibly based on it's rotation from the world coordinates or something)

To reproduce:
  • create cube
  • Activate the Object/Mesh Pivot Streamline tool
  • move & rotate the object's pivot.
  • release the Streamline tool
  • Select Rotate Tool and rotate the object
  • Notice that the object will jump slightly
Senior 3D Artist

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
November 01, 2011, 02:10:04 am
ghib: I followed the steps but couldn't see any obvious jumpping. Can you show it in an animated gif? And what is your pivot position and orientation setting?

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
November 01, 2011, 10:38:22 am
Strange I come in today and I cannot reproduce this. 

Orientation | Object
Pivot Position | Selection.

I performed this on an object which had been duplicated from existing poly selection.  I thought that maybe it was something to do with the Mesh & Object levels conflicting.  If I manage to reproduce it I will try and get the offending file to you with my settings.

p.s.  I think this is another reason that I'm not a huge fan of having this extra 'MESH' sub object level.  It just further confuses things because the Mesh level is hidden, obscuring how an object is split up.  It's tripped me up hundreds of times when using symmetry and the individual shells are split into different meshes.  So I must go into mesh mode to check what is what.  Is there NO way that you can get rid of mesh subobject mode?  as a Pure poly modelling app I feel it would give clarity to the experience of using VW.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 03:19:34 pm by ghib »
Senior 3D Artist

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
November 02, 2011, 11:44:20 am
ghib: mesh level is inside the framework. It can't be removed unless I rewrite the app. I feel very sorry about this.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
November 02, 2011, 12:21:23 pm
to make things easier maybe a command that merges object and meshes in 1 command.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 02:15:22 pm by Passerby »

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
November 03, 2011, 11:19:16 am
Istonia, that is indeed a shame.

I think passerby hit on a good idea because essentially you need to merge objects twice; once at the object level, and once at the Mesh subobject level.  Making a combine command that merges both at the same time would be very welcome.

cheers for your replies guys.
Senior 3D Artist