News:

Topic: Is it possible to bridge a hole between 2 objects?  (Read 1913 times)

• No avatar
  • Vertex
July 31, 2024, 02:44:59 am
Hi there,
Just checking if it is possible to make a join between 2 objects (meshes?)?

Example:
- Create 2 cubes
- Cut a face off of each cube (2 faces that face towards each other)
- Run a bridge or tunnel or some kind of create geometry between holes command

I have tried to use bridge holes edge command but it does not want to take the second edge, even if I shift-select both objects first.

If I first use the Combine Merge meshes Object command, then run the bridge holes edge command I can create a type of tunnel geometry between the holes as desired.

Thing is, I really don't want to have to merge the object meshes and would really rather keep them separated.
I'm not sure if there is another way around this or if something like this could be considered for a future update?

Best regards.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
July 31, 2024, 01:10:33 pm
Do you mean you want to have the bridge mesh as a separate object? So in your sample case, it would result in 3 objects, 2 tubes and a bridge?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 31, 2024, 07:14:17 pm

Thing is, I really don't want to have to merge the object meshes and would really rather keep them separated.

Hi,
Have attached a composite tool for you to try.

To use, select your 2 objects, select faces to bridge, call composite tool.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
August 01, 2024, 12:12:02 am
Do you mean you want to have the bridge mesh as a separate object? So in your sample case, it would result in 3 objects, 2 tubes and a bridge?

I probably didn't think that in-depth about how the objects would be created in the end, sorry about that. I just wanted the end result to be a nice joined up geometry.

So, I went and tried a similar operation on another 3d modelling package (in this case Metasequoia).
What that software seems to do is append the new/joining geometry to the active/selected object, align the edges/vertices so they appear to join. Though when hiding/un-hiding the geometry are separate (from the inactive object).

Hopefully that makes some sense. I could possibly post some video or pictures but the forums attachment sizes are quite small and I'm not sure if it would be appropriate to post other softwares screenshots.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
August 01, 2024, 12:14:32 am

Hi,
Have attached a composite tool for you to try.

To use, select your 2 objects, select faces to bridge, call composite tool.

Thanks Steve, I will keep this in mind. Though I wouldn't mind if this could be part of the core/native bridging tool.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
August 01, 2024, 03:19:54 am
Try this and see if it works. You need to have both objects selected.
https://digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Aug-01-24.rar

• No avatar
  • Vertex
August 01, 2024, 05:57:02 am
This works for the Edge Tool "Bridge/Cap" (Streamline) could it also work with "Bridge Holes" (Command Button)?

Again, many thanks.  :)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon

• No avatar
  • Vertex
August 01, 2024, 11:07:32 pm
This works great, thank you.  :D

• No avatar
  • Vertex
August 04, 2024, 09:29:24 am
On the Steam August 02 version, I think the 'Curved' option is producing some pretty wacky results.
Linear seems to work okay, though I'm not sure if Twists A or Twists B are meant to affect anything, they currently do not while Linear is active.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
August 04, 2024, 10:51:38 am
It looks okay to me on my own test.

Can you send a picture of that to info@digitalfossils.com for me to check? Both linear an curved.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
August 05, 2024, 04:30:27 am
I have sent an email moments ago with a small video clip.

I gave this another test and tried raising the second cube and selecting it first, then joining to the cube on the left. This seems to work.
Leaving the cubes positions the same and just selecting left cube first then right cube it goes wonky again.

Hopefully this helps in narrowing down where the problem might be occurring.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
August 06, 2024, 01:03:50 am
Try this
https://digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Aug-06-24.rar

There are still times it may not work correctly. In this case, you can modify the spline curve to tailor the result.
Check this video.

Bridge Holes
https://youtu.be/M-M0QEkQJLg

• No avatar
  • Vertex
August 06, 2024, 04:01:45 am
This works, thank you!  :D