News:

Topic: Weld  (Read 17360 times)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
October 05, 2012, 08:31:14 am
"I don`t see a reason why you shouldn`t be able to do that with just the edit boxes though. I think Blender has such input boxes that has slider functionality too. A single click and drag slides, a double click enters the edit mode."

I don't want to lose the righ click function. There is no way I can override the text box right click behaviour. Even if I can, I will lose the copy/paste functions.

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
October 05, 2012, 09:51:21 am
Hm. You could still do as you did before: place a little button in front of the corresponding edit boxes. It doesn`t need to contain a letter anymore, so you can make it smaller than before. Because x,y and z are already labeled at the top of the edit box group.

Plus make the edit boxes scalable relative to the panel. That way the user can set it to the width that he needs to display enough digits for his needs.

Another solution i see is to place a tiny slider below or above the edit boxes. But that would mean to loose space again. I would prefer solution one.

You could even free lots of space with the current existing arrangement. Simply make the edit boxes a few pixels smaller in height, and don`t leave a gap between them in the vertical direction. This advice counts for all other labels, edit boxes and buttons in the other toolbar panels too. There`s lots of space that can be set free that way.
Free Gamegraphics, Freeware Games http//www.reinerstilesets.de

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
October 09, 2012, 10:35:59 am
Tiles, you can use the Collapse tool to do target weld as well now.

The UI is done.

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
October 09, 2012, 06:46:24 pm
Thanks for this :)

There seems to be a quirk though. I´ve made a cube, have selected the top face, switched to edges mode, which has selected the edges at the top. A clear edgeloop. Then i tried to use the Collapse tool. And nothing happens.

And i am still unhappy of how Weld and Collapse works in general. It is no one click solution as in trueSpace and Blender, and is split into different modes and tools. It`s still cumbersome to use in comparison.

That`s how blender handles it, as shown in the shot. No extra collapse menu, no extra weld menu. And available from all modes. Edges, vertices and faces. You make a selection, be it a face, a edge or vertices, call the Merge command under the vertices submenu (or press a hotkey), which brings you this menu besides the mouse, then one click more and you are done.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
October 09, 2012, 08:54:49 pm
really dont get what you find so hard, just use the streamline weld, tap with multiple verts selected to collaspe, or hold it while hovering a vert to target weld.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
October 09, 2012, 09:07:44 pm
There seems to be a quirk though. I´ve made a cube, have selected the top face, switched to edges mode, which has selected the edges at the top. A clear edgeloop. Then i tried to use the Collapse tool. And nothing happens.

I follow your steps and the four vertices at the top are welded into one vertex.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 09, 2012, 09:58:04 pm
Hi IStonia,

It depends on which collapse tool is used.

"Geometry > Collapse Loop" will not collapse a (fully selected)closed edge loop, only an open edge loop. It will also collapse partial edge loops belonging to the same loop into separate collapse points.
"Geometry > Common Commands n Tools > Collapse", will collapse a closed(or open) edge loop. It will collapse the full or Partial edgeloop(belonging to the same edge loop) into one average center point.

Not Tools I use, but can see it being somewhat confusing.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 10:00:21 pm by steve »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
October 09, 2012, 10:44:08 pm

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 09, 2012, 11:07:44 pm
Hi IStonia,

In your vid, when you change from Polygon to edge selection(on the box), you bypass the "Geometry > Collapse Loop" which is the tool most will see first and try to use, and I as I mentioned, that tool will not collapse a fully selected closed edge loop.

Is it intentional that the "Geometry > Collapse Loop" tool does not collapse a fully selected closed edge loop?

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
October 09, 2012, 11:20:44 pm
Yes, it is intentional. First, it won't weld to the selection center. Secondly, the result is not wanted in most cases. Third, you can do it with the general Collapse tool.

I will move the 'Common Commands n Tools' menu up to just below 'Create' menu.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 12:11:27 am by IStonia »

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
October 10, 2012, 09:07:31 am
just use the streamline weld

Thanks for the advice. But the streamline weld is where? Is it the one in the Visual Tools in the Vertex Mode? Is it the Weld to Nearest in the menu? The Weld Vertex in the Smarttips? Is it a customized Streamline tool that i have to setup first? Something with an odd name again maybe? It is definitely something that i have overlooked it seems.

See, that`s the problem that i try to point out since several postings. There is no single weld/merge in general like in all other apps. There is streamline weld, there is collapse, there is weld, weld vertex, there is ... . And every submethod works in another mode, under its very special circumstances, and with its very own setup. It`s already so complicated and divided that even iStonia is in trouble with the try to reproduce a quirk with a clear advice. Because there are too much methods and special cases already. That´s the part that makes it so cumbersome, hard to use and time consuming.

That`s like having several independend rotate commands too. All in their special modes, all with their special cases and circumstances that you need to remember and take into account that you can get it to work. Where just one tool in all modes is what is really needed.

It may be a bit exaggerated, but you already need a guide and forum help just to do weld in Nvil. The current weld methods bundle in Nvil is definitely by classes slower to use that the single weld method in Blender for example. With the very same results. Just that the Blender way is more flexible because it works in all modes.

Please don`t try to divide weld into even more tools, don`t add even more special cases to fix your dilemma. The only valid fix for the dilemma is to union it all into one tool that works in all modes. That`s what i have initially suggested and would still suggest here.

Sorry for being a pain at this issue. But i think this one is important.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
October 10, 2012, 09:27:40 am
The streamline, one is there out of the box but I couldn't tell you what key since I changed almost all of the key binds.

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
October 10, 2012, 10:01:43 am
Thanks Passerby :)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
October 10, 2012, 10:42:06 am
Tiles, I think the main difference between strealine tools and visual tools is how they are opened and closed.

For visual tool, you click a button/menu or hit a key to open it. Once finish, you need to click a button/menu or hit a key to close it.

For streamline tool, you press down a key and hold it. Use mouse buttons to perform the actions. Once finish, release the key to close the tool. For example, for target weld, in vertex mode, your press down and hold S(default setting) key, click at a vertex, move your curosr over the second vertex, release S key, done. You can try performing target weld 10 times continuously with this method in Nvil then do the something in Blender and tell me which one is faster. If Blender is faster, then please produce a video so I can learn from it as I don't know how to use Blender and I don't have time to learn.

I think, streamline tools also provide a faster way to switch between tools. But the downside is it needs hotkeys and that's what you don't like.

Back to the welding issue. Yeah, one botton tool to satisfy all the welding needs is a very good idea. How about one botton tool to satisfy all the modeling/animation/rendering needs. lol.

You said Blender's weld tool is very flexible, can you produce a video to show it? I would like to see how it works in all modes and all the functionalities it provides.

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
October 10, 2012, 01:52:52 pm
Back to the welding issue. Yeah, one botton tool to satisfy all the welding needs is a very good idea. How about one botton tool to satisfy all the modeling/animation/rendering needs. lol.

You haven`t understood a single word. And you laugh at me. Not funny :(

You said Blender's weld tool is very flexible, can you produce a video to show it? I would like to see how it works in all modes and all the functionalities it provides.

The better method would be to simply download Blender and try it by yourself. It`s free. And you don`t believe me anyways. The screenshot already shows what welding methods are available. This menu is available from all modeling modes. A video wouldn`t show this much more besides the tools in action.

Honestly i am tired to run against a wall here. Do whatever you want to do. I give up.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 01:56:05 pm by Tiles »