News:

Topic: Frozen reference mesh blocks single-click selections  (Read 1680 times)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 29, 2021, 12:44:23 pm
It seems that frozen reference mesh is blocking single-click selections of retopo geometry, if the geometry component I want to select (e.g. a vertex) resides inside the reference mesh. The first time I've noticed this change is since several versions ago. Is there a switch to throw somewhere in the options that would allow me to fix this behavior?

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
January 29, 2021, 10:12:13 pm
With the "Draw Mesh" tool active and its "Draw" option is On, press and hold "Ctrl" key to activate the "Mesh Tweak" option. Now the UI option is still "Draw" but the active option is "Mesh Tweak", and you can pick vertex/edge/polygon which resides inside the reference object in this particular situation.

This behavior is described in the "Mesh Tweak" tool tips.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 29, 2021, 11:01:53 pm
Hi IStonia,

The problem is not with the Draw Mesh tool. I only use it when I need to create patches of new geometry that would otherwise be difficult or too slow to create using traditional means. Any tweaking of geometry components I always perform either with standard transform manipulators (which guarantee access to separate axes of translation/rotation/scaling) or with a standard Tweak streamline tool (Ctrl key in my config).

However, and I should have probably mentioned it in my first post, when retopologizing hard surface models, I move a lot of components with retopo mode turned off. This is when the problem happens. Any components obscured by frozen reference mesh are unselectable with a single click selection and are invisible to the built-in StreamLine Engine Tools->Tweak, so I need to use area selection instead. This is very cumbersome and, if my memory serves me well, was not how NVil worked several versions ago.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
January 30, 2021, 11:52:38 am
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Feb-01-21.rar

Also check this tool: P_AssignMaterial(*). Assign material with the specified name from material liberary to selected object.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 30, 2021, 05:58:23 pm
P_AssignMaterial works perfectly, thanks.
I didn't notice any improvement with selections in this build though. Frozen object are still blocking it if retopo is off.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
January 30, 2021, 06:48:17 pm
I can't see the problem on my side. Can you show it in a video?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 31, 2021, 11:30:07 pm
Sorry, I didn't have time to record a video yet. I'll try tomorrow.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 01, 2021, 04:18:38 pm
Ok, please check your mail.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
February 02, 2021, 12:44:47 am
Uncheck this option, Edit > Preference > Options 2 > Selection > Include retopo reference objects in selection and snapping occlusion.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 02, 2021, 09:20:48 am
All righty, it works! Thanks.