News:

Topic: Curve Vertices  (Read 4550 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
October 04, 2020, 02:01:57 am
Hi IStonia,

Something like this is also very cool, would love to have this in Nvil:

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
October 04, 2020, 02:49:02 am
Help > Contents > Modeling > Vertex Section > Spline Modify > Auto Align Start Position.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
October 04, 2020, 05:07:14 am
Thanks IStonia, I got it to work :) this is correct right? >>

I rarely use spline and have some questions about it..

1. Is it possible to convert spline? I created the spline above using convert from edges and they are linear, I wanted to convert this spline to Cubic/AB Spline (I am not sure of the difference between those two yet but as long as they are curve instead of straight line)

Since Axis Line is two points, can it be vertex points instead, and have the tool automatically use the first selected vertex and last selected vertex as that two points, and eliminate the need to create the axis line, and perhaps this could be another simplified tool like Spline Modify (Simple).

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
October 04, 2020, 05:30:20 am
You did it right.

1. Is it possible to convert spline? I created the spline above using convert from edges and they are linear, I wanted to convert this spline to Cubic/AB Spline (I am not sure of the difference between those two yet but as long as they are curve instead of straight line)

The splines you created are cubic type. The vertex appearances are different. Also their icons in Scene Explorer are different. Just create a cubic spline and an AB spline and you will be able to spot the difference.

Since Axis Line is two points, can it be vertex points instead, and have the tool automatically use the first selected vertex and last selected vertex as that two points, and eliminate the need to create the axis line, and perhaps this could be another simplified tool like Spline Modify (Simple).

It is too complicated to modify the tool to achieve that. So no plan to do that.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
October 04, 2020, 06:18:48 am
Thanks IStonia, I understand, I will try the existing tool for now.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
October 10, 2020, 01:57:42 am
miica, try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Oct-10-20.rar

* Edge mode > Geometry > Create Splines From Selected Edges > Create Transform Spline. Create transform splines from selected edges. A transform spline is a spline created from a group of connected vertices. If a transform spline is transformed, those vertices, from which the spline is created, will be transformed along with the spline.
  * A new basic streamline tool, Refine Spline. Refine the selected cubic spline to a specified vertices number which evenly spacing along the original spline.

It should be a much better tool for doing that. The edge selection for creating spline does not have to be in a straight line. You can work on multiple splines at the same time.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
October 13, 2020, 02:08:01 am
Many Thanks IStonia! this is really really cool, no need to use the Spline Modify, I haven't tested it as much as I want yet to form some useful feedbacks.. and I do have some questions on the setup, I will get back to this soon

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
October 17, 2020, 07:49:53 am
Hi IStonia, sorry for late reply.. got a bit busy >.<  :'(

I managed to set it up correctly, for reference this is how I set it up..

To use, I first select some edges, press hotkey, spline created, and press hotkey again and move my mouse to adjust the spline vert's number. Operation is really close to Blender's Mira Curve and I can't tell which is better (at least for now, I need to try it out a lot more) :D

I created a video to show you something, I would like to use this tool to tidy up an edge loop and together with retopo. Is it possible to have the spline vert snap to the reference object as I edit them?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gbiab7o1d7er25l/Transform%20Spline%20Test.mp4?dl=0

Another request is, is it possible to use the kind of spline type like in the first post, the Blender's one, it doesn't have any "control handles" (not sure what it's called), so it's quicker to edit. I do think the current one is still good for finer adjustment though.

Thanks!

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
October 17, 2020, 09:46:11 am
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Oct-17-20.rar

... Is it possible to have the spline vert snap to the reference object as I edit them?

Done.

Another request is, is it possible to use the kind of spline type like in the first post, the Blender's one, it doesn't have any "control handles" (not sure what it's called), so it's quicker to edit. I do think the current one is still good for finer adjustment though.

Tap Space key to toggle tangent visibility while the tool is active.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
October 17, 2020, 11:16:23 am
Amazing! Thanks! I am looking forward to use this soon when I do some retopo  8)

Tap Space key to toggle tangent visibility while the tool is active.

I don't mean the visibility of the tangent... but that's ok, I think I will try working with the current one and see first  :)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
October 17, 2020, 12:17:19 pm
I don't mean the visibility of the tangent... but that's ok, I think I will try working with the current one and see first  :)

Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Oct-18-20.rar

Make sure this option is checked, Edit > Options > Spline Options > Spline Transform Options > Auto Naturalize Whole Spline.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
October 17, 2020, 12:34:08 pm
omg Yes! I am actually looking for this... thank you so much IStonia :D :D :D

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
October 19, 2020, 08:19:12 am
miica, try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Oct-19-20.rar

The selected spline and the attached mesh are more visible against the reference object in retopo mode.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
October 22, 2020, 04:23:42 am
Many Thanks IStonia! previously I also noticed the attached mesh are covered by the reference object and not seen very well.. this is going to helps a lot in retopo :)

Edit:
Made a quick demo video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peCojezhNFY
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 06:03:58 am by miica »

• No avatar
  • Vertex
October 31, 2020, 08:33:24 am
I can't find the refine spline composite tool, I updated to the most recent build today too. Any reason why I might not be able to find it?

What are the possibilities of having this work while also in subdivide preview mode?

Having this override view edges on unselected might be ideal if it worked on the object the spline was picked from.