News:

Topic: UV Map multiple objects.  (Read 1965 times)

• No avatar
  • Edge
August 10, 2020, 11:53:33 pm
Hello IStionia,

Let me start that I'm aware that UV's are very sensitive subjects and a lot of stuff is beyond your capability without rewriting huge amount of code. I would like to only (maybe not only depending on limitations) ask you if you could make UV map visual tool to work with multiple selected objects. While I got use to limitations of editing uv's in Nvil and I'm using external editor to do most of the work, I really find its uv toolset very handy for small task like tweaking and adjusting uv shells position. The problem is its really hard to move a uv shell if you're not sure if its going to overlap with uv shell of other object.

If its not possible to implement this feature, as temporary workaround I would suggest to add ability to make a quick uv's screenshot of selected objects and map it to uv editor so at least I could see where to move uv shells without interfering with each other.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
August 11, 2020, 12:17:45 pm
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Aug-11-20.rar

* Texture UV Mapping > View > Show uv of all objects.

• No avatar
  • Edge
August 11, 2020, 01:14:23 pm
Thank you very much IStionia, that's sufficient enough for my needs.
I was wondering, if its not possible to edit multiple object at once, maybe there is way to temporally combine objects for UV editing, and then after done splitting them up back while keeping the names, materials and vertex order?
Other solution could be combining objects to proxy, then edit uv's and after that using a "button" to transfer uv's to original source objects.
If either of this solutions are impossible to implement or just plain hard, don't bother. Both of them seam to be bit hack'y and as I mentioned above your solution is enough for my basic editing needs.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
August 11, 2020, 01:28:06 pm
You can try this two tools.

* Object mode > Geometry > Combine(Merge Meshes).
* Object mode > Common Commands n Tools > Split.

But you have to rename them manually.

• No avatar
  • Edge
August 11, 2020, 01:51:11 pm
I know there is an option to do it manually, but it's just too time consuming when you have many objects to rename every time you did uv editing, and most of the time my work really depends on proper naming of objects, as well as keeping them separate ,so it would be nice to have more non destructive and automated way of doing this.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
August 12, 2020, 08:05:25 am
It is too hard to implement in the ways you mentioned.

But try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Aug-12-20.rar

You can make the inactive uv editable by LMB+RMB-Click on it.

• No avatar
  • Edge
August 12, 2020, 08:47:10 am
Works well enough, Thank you! Really appreciate your work. Two more things though. Could you add option to enable wireframe on inactive objects, and clicking LMB+RMB at the same time feels bit weird, could you change it to LMB double click instead?

Other thing, bit different topic. When I reimport fbx from external application it always create duplicate of object and material, so everytime I reimport I have to clean me scene from previous version of objects, and assign original material. Is there an option when reimporting to match objects and materials by name?(Paste replace doesn't work in my case) If not, could you add one?

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
August 12, 2020, 12:48:12 pm
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Aug-13-20.rar

* View > Show inactive uv seam edges only.
* LMB double click works on inactive uv.
* "Replace By Name" option is added.

• No avatar
  • Edge
August 12, 2020, 01:58:03 pm
Both wireframe visibility and double click to select inactive works as intended.

Replace by name unfortunately works too basic way and doesn't respect scene hierarchy. Material duplicates are still present too. Could you make it to work in a way that it respects folder structure of the scene. Instead putting imported object into import_fbx folder or root, put it inside of the same folder as object that it replaces. Regarding materials it would by nice if Nvil had an option to detect if there is material present in the scene that has the same name that material on imported object/s. If there is material of the same name present then assign that material to imported object, thus ignoring imported material. Hope that make sense.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
August 13, 2020, 11:04:36 am
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Aug-14-20.rar

You need to check the "Ignore materials in file" option.