News:

Topic: making streamline tools  (Read 2023 times)

• No avatar
  • Vertex
May 04, 2020, 07:03:31 pm
Istonia,

I am really interested in learning how to put together some streamline tools but when I look at the ui I get a little dizzy. I'm too old I guess.

Anyway one of my all time favorite 3d modeling tool was in an old program called SoftCad3d it was their Column tool, I keep thinking this would be an easy and useful streamline tool candidate but I just don't know how to get there.

Perhaps you could turn this into a little lesson for us all?

Thanks for your consideration.

Tim

I tried to upload pics of the tool instructions???
The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved.

So I posted them on the Rocke3F forum

• No avatar
  • Vertex
May 04, 2020, 07:17:40 pm
if you saw the post you would see its a lot like the extrude/bevel tool with options to change the edge counts at each step.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
May 04, 2020, 10:01:21 pm
For objects like columns, I recommend Spline Vertex Shortcut Tools -> Lathe. There's a nice info about it in NVil Help (Modeling->Vertex Section->Spline Vertex->Spline Lathe).
You draw a profile curve, use lathe to revolve it around an axis, then model in some details where needed.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
May 04, 2020, 10:42:35 pm
Ruber Duck, thanks for the feedback.

I don't know if you saw the post but the tool enables you to go from different edge counts on every step so you can go from a squares base to a variety of edged counts and back so lathe would not work as a single tool. Check it out.

https://www.rocket3f.com/kunena/requests/1976-making-streamline-tools

Lathe is a great way to do any particular edge count.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
May 05, 2020, 12:39:43 am
There is no way you can make a streamline tool to perform that task you mentioned.

I don't think I will make any tool similar to that. There are infinite possible column shapes.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
May 05, 2020, 01:11:57 am
I understand there's plenty else to do.

Thanks