News:

Topic: Draw Mesh - Line Vertex editing  (Read 2972 times)

• Polygon
May 01, 2020, 12:00:32 pm
I am looking at trying to use draw mesh as a quick way of precision modelling rather than just a retopo tool.

Once you've drawn a line with draw mesh and RMB to finish the line.

Is it then possible to go back and tweak its vertices and change the shape of the line or add and delete vertices ?

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
May 01, 2020, 01:37:29 pm
You can turn on the "Resume" tool. Go to vertex mode. Mouse over the existing spline point, LMB+Drag -> move, RMB -> delete.

• Polygon
May 01, 2020, 11:03:56 pm
Thanks Istonia

I drew a spline
I then clicked on Resume tool, changed to vertex mode and clicked the spline. It showed the vertices but immediately wanted to extend the line. I did not touch the CAPS lock key.
I then RMB clicked to finish the extending and it exits the command.

So there was no opportunity in that process to manipulate the vertices. I'm using Apr30.

• Polygon
May 01, 2020, 11:37:35 pm
I just found that while its trying to extend the line I can manipulate the vertices, pretty cool but the automatic line extension is annoying.

It would be nice to be able to add a vertex as well.

I'm thinking it might be good to have a edit or tweak option in Draw Mesh if this something you wanted to add to Nvil. It could be used for refining your lines/splines

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
May 02, 2020, 12:29:20 am
I just found that while its trying to extend the line I can manipulate the vertices, pretty cool but the automatic line extension is annoying.

You can Shift+RMBClick to finish the spline and ignore the extension point.

It would be nice to be able to add a vertex as well.

Can't you do it already? You can use RMBClick to Delete/Insert points.

I'm thinking it might be good to have a edit or tweak option in Draw Mesh if this something you wanted to add to Nvil. It could be used for refining your lines/splines

The draw mesh tool is already very very complicated. Any new features adding would make that even worse.

• Polygon
May 02, 2020, 03:06:13 am

For me Shift+RMB just exits edit spline vertex.
What I meant is that when editing spline vertex the automatic extension point is attached to the cursor.

Can't you do it already? You can use RMBClick to Delete/Insert points.

That works nicely, thanks.

The draw mesh tool is already very very complicated. Any new features adding would make that even worse.
Fair enough. I tried using the bridge tool, indeed complicated I had to reread it several times.

Thanks for the tips with this, I can now tweak my splines in draw or retopo mode which will stand me in good stead.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
May 02, 2020, 07:27:25 am

For me Shift+RMB just exits edit spline vertex.
What I meant is that when editing spline vertex the automatic extension point is attached to the cursor.

Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-May-02-20.rar

• Polygon
May 02, 2020, 08:04:11 am
From a personal point of view I prefer the APR30 version of drawing splines. One thing that is confusing is that RESUME starts just by LMB click the line, you don't have to hit Caps-Lock+RMB

It would be good if you tweak verts without RESUME automatically starting
You could run resume with CAPS-Lock+RMB as per the instructions ?

If you wanted to keep RESUME automatically starting for other workflow reasons could Cap-Lock+RMB be used to turn it off so that the verts could be tweaked ?

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
May 02, 2020, 08:29:27 am
... One thing that is confusing is that RESUME starts just by LMB click the line, you don't have to hit Caps-Lock+RMB

It would be good if you tweak verts without RESUME automatically starting
You could run resume with CAPS-Lock+RMB as per the instructions ?

If you wanted to keep RESUME automatically starting for other workflow reasons could Cap-Lock+RMB be used to turn it off so that the verts could be tweaked ?

I have no idea what you are talking about. I just feel like I can't think straight.

When you start drawing a new spline in draw mode, you can edit the points during the draw operation.
The purpose of "Resume" tool is to let you put an existing spline/line back into draw mode so you can edit it. "Caps-Lock+RMB" is a hotkey to let you activate the "Resume" tool without going through the UI.

From a personal point of view I prefer the APR30 version of drawing splines.

So, "automatic line extension" is not an issue any more??? Because I've just tried to fix it in the May-02 version.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 08:43:19 am by IStonia »

• Polygon
May 02, 2020, 10:14:22 am
Ok, thanks Istonia for the workflow explanation, I understand how it works now. All good !

"Caps-Lock+RMB" is a hotkey to let you activate the "Resume" tool without going through the UI.
I did not know that, thanks.
I was interpreting it that you click the radio button for Resume and then hit Caps-Lock+RMB to run the tool.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
May 02, 2020, 11:04:00 am

From a personal point of view I prefer the APR30 version of drawing splines.

So, "automatic line extension" is not an issue any more??? Because I've just tried to fix it in the May-02 version.

Kevin, I am still waiting for your reply for this.

• Polygon
May 02, 2020, 11:44:17 am
I think from a workflow point of view, if you enter resume command for it to start off with "automatic line extension" makes sense like Apr30. That makes for a speedy workflow for someone who is familiar with tool.

It would be nice though if there was way to kill that command if you didn't want to resume the line and only wanted to tweak some of its vertices.

Does that answer your question ?

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
May 02, 2020, 12:26:34 pm
I think from a workflow point of view, if you enter resume command for it to start off with "automatic line extension" makes sense like Apr30. That makes for a speedy workflow for someone who is familiar with tool.

It would be nice though if there was way to kill that command if you didn't want to resume the line and only wanted to tweak some of its vertices.

Does that answer your question ?

Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-May-03-20.rar

I won't say anything and see if you can spot the changes.

• Polygon
May 02, 2020, 10:20:58 pm
May 03 is nice to work with.

It doesn't slow down a user who just wants to extend the line
You can tweak the verts without the "automatic extension" wobbling around on screen and then easily go back to the resume line command, if you wanted to.

The changes I've noticed is hyrbrid (or best features) of Apr30 & May 2.

Thanks for that !