News:

Topic: Preserving UVs while using chamfer?  (Read 7831 times)

• Vertex
September 27, 2012, 02:26:49 pm
So I'd like to start by saying "The Chamfer tool in Nvil is the best I've seen... ever!"

I'm absolutely astounded by the calculations that the Nvil chamfer can pull off! I have some very complex edgeflow requiring very little cleanup after I run the chamfer operation. That said, there is one thing that would make it perfect... and that would be to preserve UVs while the chamfer function is performed.

Currently, when you do a chamfer function, Nvil will put all of the newly created UVs into the top right corner of UV space (0,0 I'm guessing), which results in broken UVs. I realize this is a huge mathamagical request, so that's why I'm putting it as a Feature Request, rather than a bug.

Thanks in advance!
-ShaneO
Cheers,
-ShaneO

• Triangle
September 27, 2012, 11:11:05 pm
Oh yeah, I've seen other applications do it. I can't recall how Silo went about it, I would have to install it to see. But Maya does it, too. Just checked. Well, it's not always perfect, but it's a start. For the bevel in Maya you have the 2 UV options "Planar project per face" and "Preserve original boundaries". Both integrate the newly created UVs into the existing layout.  They do cut your UVs though where the bevel takes place. However, the planar projection is often the better solution. The other quickly messes up your layout. I have to see if Silo has a better integration into preexisting UVs.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
October 09, 2012, 10:44:05 am
done.