News:

Topic: Weld with drag control threshold  (Read 4306 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
August 24, 2018, 04:43:03 am
Hi IStonia,
I think Nvil weld tool can have this option, just like the "Select Similar Facing" tool. So the threshold value can be adjusted while we press the hotkey and the welding will happen in real time.

This will be useful in the situation like shown in the picture below. Currently the best tool I find to perform this is Weld to Nearest, but it also welds some unwanted vertices if I don't do a more accurate selection.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 01:09:02 pm by miica »

• Polygon
August 24, 2018, 07:54:11 am
In preferences there is a selection radius tolerance. That may help with reducing the likelihood of selecting unwanted verts that end up getting welded as a result.

You could also try Edit>Options>Autoweld enabled. You can then just drag verts on top of each other and they automatically weld. Toggling this option on and off is probably the quickest way to work with vert weld in Nvil.

In Geometry>Common Commands and tools > Weld there is an option to set a threshold welding tolerance, select all the verts you want to weld and hit the weld button. I think this is the tool your looking for.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 08:06:33 am by kevjon »

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
August 24, 2018, 01:07:02 pm
Thanks kevjon for replying, I do aware of the those options. The autoweld you mentioned do gave me an idea to try out another way of merging the vertices, I was expecting to be able to merge the vertices by scaling them to the mid center but I found that autoweld doesn't work in this case.

still.. even if it works, it's a bit slow, if I have first selected the vertices correctly just like the image above, Weld to Nearest would work nicely. My idea is if we can make a rough selection instead, and let the program weld the vertices based on threshold, and instead of typing the threshold manually (might need to try different values a few times), we can use mouse gesture to set the threshold and adjust it realtime, that would be more streamlined.

• Polygon
August 24, 2018, 09:49:16 pm
My idea is if we can make a rough selection instead, and let the program weld the vertices based on threshold, and instead of typing the threshold manually (might need to try different values a few times), we can use mouse gesture to set the threshold and adjust it realtime, that would be more streamlined.

That would be a nice feature in Nvil

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
August 26, 2018, 10:15:18 am
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Aug-26-18.rar

* Polygon mode > Geometry > Ridge. Flip ridge formed by one or three ridge edge lines. For detail, Help > Contents > Modeling > Polygon Section > Polygon Commands > Ridge.
  * This tool is improved to handle more complex selection patterns, polygon mode > Geometry > Unchamfer. For detail, Help > Contents > Modeling > Polygon Section > Polygon Commands > Unchamfer.
  * A new basic streamline tool, Polygon_Bridge. Press down mouse button to create bridges between polygon selections then drag to adjust segments.
  * A new basic streamline tool, Threshold_Weld. Press down mouse button then drag to adjust weld threshold value. Welding will be performed base on threshold value within subobject selections.
  * Facing options are added to primitive creation tools. The hotkey is Tab.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
August 27, 2018, 07:28:52 am
Much Thanks IStonia, just tested out the Threshold_Weld, it works awesome! really like how well it works.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 07:30:48 am by miica »

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
August 27, 2018, 07:50:50 am
Btw Istonia, what is the Polygon_Bridge tool? I try it out by selecting two faces but nothing happens.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
August 27, 2018, 08:09:33 am
Btw Istonia, what is the Polygon_Bridge tool? I try it out by selecting two faces but nothing happens.

It does the same thing as this tool, Help > Contents > Modeling > Polygon Section > Polygon Commands > Bridge. But it can adjust segments in real time.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
August 27, 2018, 11:43:23 am
That's was nice, I will study those related tools a bit more.