News:

Topic: Bevel to initial state ( unbevel )  (Read 4223 times)

• Spline
    • www.weisheim.com
July 02, 2018, 05:40:48 pm
Hey,

i have seen a plugin for blender who have the main following feature: unbevel edges.
here is the addon as example:

https://gumroad.com/l/MESHmachine

If you have beveled edges, you can get the unbeveled state back. Thats very cool feature, because it happens often that you bevel something, but after want to add a change to main geometry what makes it hard to manage because of already beveled edges.
This feature would also give the ability to recreate lowpoly mesh from the beveled highpoly one.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 10:59:11 pm by Woolfy »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
July 06, 2018, 08:57:35 am
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Jul-06-18.rar

* Polygon mode > Geometry > Unchamfer. Before fire this command, select the quad polygons generated by chamfer operation. The selected polygons must connect to each other in such way that they form a square array in topology.

• Spline
    • www.weisheim.com
July 06, 2018, 07:08:27 pm
Works like a charm! Amazing tool. Thanks a lot!

That would be great for hard surface modeling workflow.
One thing im thinking about is, how to select this kind of chamfers faster on the polygon side to unchamfer them.
On the simple 2 edges chamfer, it would be fast to select polys(by using for example "select island poly". see pic "simple chamfer".

But what would be the best way to select the polys on more complex chamfers? like on the pic. 2?
I can select the middle edge, then grow selection 2 times to get the result like on pic 2, but can i translate this edge selection to poly selection somehow?

« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 07:13:09 pm by Woolfy »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
July 07, 2018, 09:26:46 am
Can you test this version?
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Jul-07-18.rar

The same hotkey can be assign to multiple streamline tools. When the hotkey is tapped, the program will activate those streamline tools in turns. This makes it possible for one hotkey to control multiple streamline tools.

Please let me know if it can be useful.

Works like a charm! Amazing tool. Thanks a lot!

That would be great for hard surface modeling workflow.
One thing im thinking about is, how to select this kind of chamfers faster on the polygon side to unchamfer them.
On the simple 2 edges chamfer, it would be fast to select polys(by using for example "select island poly". see pic "simple chamfer".

But what would be the best way to select the polys on more complex chamfers? like on the pic. 2?
I can select the middle edge, then grow selection 2 times to get the result like on pic 2, but can i translate this edge selection to poly selection somehow?

You can use these tools, edge mode > Selection > Convert Selection > Polygons By/Inside Selected Edges.

But I think this tool is a better choice, polygon mode > Selection > Universal Loop Selection(Range).
This is a video showing how it works
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I9aCs7I1IU&list=PLa8ZmPnRO5hYtPKwRAcC3iFen4lJos8QT&index=4

• Spline
    • www.weisheim.com
July 07, 2018, 10:39:50 pm
Yes! That is great with Universal Loop Selection(Range)

I created a simple composite tool for it. It looks like this: pic 1.
It works already without last autosmooth function ( in composite tool), but i added this, because i like to use autosmooth behavior.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 10:45:48 pm by Woolfy »

• Spline
    • www.weisheim.com
July 07, 2018, 10:40:21 pm
I need to select polys like this. pic2
Then just fire the composite tool with a hotkey. Chamfer is gone! pic 3
ps :I need to test this new composite, on more complex meshes and chamfer cases, maybe it will not work in all situations. However, the tool is great!

Thanks a lot for info Istonia!

« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 11:22:52 pm by Woolfy »

• Spline
    • www.weisheim.com
July 07, 2018, 11:03:02 pm

The same hotkey can be assign to multiple streamline tools. When the hotkey is tapped, the program will activate those streamline tools in turns. This makes it possible for one hotkey to control multiple streamline tools.

I tested this version. It works nice, but i didn't understood, for what it can be useful?
Does it activate one streamline after other? Because normally I would combine everything what needs to be activated one after other in one composite tool,then assign it to one streamline tool. Or did i understood something wrong?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 11:08:34 pm by Woolfy »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
July 08, 2018, 12:04:25 am

I tested this version. It works nice, but i didn't understood, for what it can be useful?
Does it activate one streamline after other? Because normally I would combine everything what needs to be activated one after other in one composite tool,then assign it to one streamline tool. Or did i understood something wrong?

It is not for something you use in composite tools.

Simple example. Normally you have W-Move/E-Rotate/R-Scale. Now you set them all to one hotkey, W-Move/W-Rotate/W-Scale. After this, you can activate your Move/Rotate/Scale tool by tapping W key one or few times until the exact wanted tool is activated.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 01:12:01 am by IStonia »

• Spline
    • www.weisheim.com
July 08, 2018, 09:44:30 pm
It is not for something you use in composite tools.

Simple example. Normally you have W-Move/E-Rotate/R-Scale. Now you set them all to one hotkey, W-Move/W-Rotate/W-Scale. After this, you can activate your Move/Rotate/Scale tool by tapping W key one or few times until the exact wanted tool is activated.

Ah ok now i understand. Yes could be useful. For me personal, i use a lot of combinations for the tools, like alt+w,Ctrl+w, alt+w etc. So i like it more to have direct the tool i need. Even by having more hotkeys.
But i can imagine for some people it could be useful, especially for people who start with Nvil, they can assign more tools to one hotkey for testing workflows etc.. However this option is great..
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 09:46:29 pm by Woolfy »