News:

Topic: How do you setup your Soft Selection?  (Read 2377 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
June 05, 2018, 03:25:24 am
Hi Everyone,

I need some insights from this community on how you guys setup your soft selection?

I currently have a hotkey (Alt+Shift+S) set to toggle the soft selection (Modeling Options > Soft Selection Enabled).

Then I have another hotkey (temporarily set to '2') bind to a streamline tool to adjust the soft selection radius (Selection Tools >> Increase and Decrease Soft Selection).

For the streamline tool, initially I put the two `Increase and Decrease Soft Selection` under On WMB Up and Down, but not fully satisfied with how it works.. I try put them under On LMB and RMB Move, which also happens to be not perfect.

I was hoping to get the same elegant that is in Maya. In Maya, only one hotkey is used to achieve the toggle action and controlling its radius. Tapping 'B' quickly will toggle the soft selection on and off. Holding 'B' down and LMB drag left and right will let us control the radius.

Right now I am not sure if it's possible to do it like in Maya, but I looking for the best alternative.

Btw, I also using the "Link soft selection enabled and soft selection window visible" under Preference > Options 1, this one is a great feature ^^

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
June 05, 2018, 07:53:16 am
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Jun-05-18.rar

* A new basic streamline tool, Increase/Decrease Soft Selection. Drag horizontally to increase or decrease soft selection. While the tool is active, tap Space key to toggle soft selection enabled.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
June 05, 2018, 08:20:20 am
Update of the tooltip

While the tool is active, tap Space key to toggle soft selection enabled, Space+Drag to change soft selection curve.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
June 05, 2018, 11:45:13 am
Yes! Istonia, I think this addition is working perfect! Your respond is also too quick it really caught me by surprise btw, I was waiting to see if other more experienced users got their strategy to share.. but yeah.. thanks!

So far I think this behaviour is as good as Maya, so this is how I set it up:

LMB Tool : Generic Tools >> Increase/Decrease Soft Selection
On Tapped : Modeling Options >> Soft Selection Enabled

(and bind it to ',' btw)

and after some quick test, I found something that maybe can be improved..

1. If the manipulator can be hide temporarily, or alternatively disable the manipulator function while doing the drag operation. The reason is our mouse pointer is many times going to be near the manipulator while modifying the soft selection radius. Right now the manipulator is getting in the way, and before we can mouse drag, we have to pull the mouse pointer away from it first.

2. Space+Drag to change soft selection curve is a big plus, because Maya can't do this :D
but it seems like it clash with tap Space key to toggle soft selection enabled. When I try Space+drag,
the first thing happen is soft selection and the window both turned off..

Also, I am not sure if the tap Space key to toggle soft selection is useful, because when I first try it, it seems you can turn it off with Space key, but then couldn't turn it back on without the help of another key. I thought On Tapped already replace this function better.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
June 05, 2018, 11:11:47 pm
Hi Istonia, just thought of another thing to add..

3. Can the drag operation also automatically turn on soft selection?
because when soft selection is turned off, drag operation still works in the background, but i think when users activate it they want to see the soft selection radius visually and it make sense to turn on soft selection

1. some new thoughts on the previous point No.1
Instead of hiding or disable the manipulator, I think it might also works if the tool works with NMB, if we don't have to click the mouse button, then we can also avoid accidentally moving the manipulator.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 11:26:21 pm by miica »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
June 06, 2018, 12:17:55 am
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Jun-06-18.rar

Also, I am not sure if the tap Space key to toggle soft selection is useful, because when I first try it, it seems you can turn it off with Space key, but then couldn't turn it back on without the help of another key. I thought On Tapped already replace this function better.

You shouldn't need another key to turn it back on. The Space key should be able to turn it on/off as long as mouse button is being depressed.

1. some new thoughts on the previous point No.1
Instead of hiding or disable the manipulator, I think it might also works if the tool works with NMB, if we don't have to click the mouse button, then we can also avoid accidentally moving the manipulator.

If mapped to NMB, you won't have the Space key function. Also NMB action has a mouse click simulation working behind.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
June 06, 2018, 02:24:40 am
Yees!

I think now it works perfect

I have no further complain to this tool for now, working with soft selection is now as smooth as it can be :)

Many thanks for implement this.