News:

Topic: When following tutorial "Set Up A StreamLine Tool" Nvil crashes whole computer  (Read 6522 times)

• No avatar
  • Vertex
January 06, 2018, 06:34:13 pm
Hi
Nvil simply freezes my computer when trying to setup a new Tool. If I choose Customize>Setup Streamline Tool>New Tool>
Then make a new tool and naming it, then choosing "edge loop" and then pressing "set" the screen freezes and goes into what seems like a indefinitely loop. Nothing works. No mouse, no button works. Only a cold reboot is possible.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 06:49:13 pm by Hans »

• No avatar
  • Vertex
January 06, 2018, 07:47:35 pm
Ok it seems that Nvil can crash my computer in many ways. Each time I try to customize the layout there's a risk that my computer crashes. Seems like I can't use it. Rocket 3F has never done this. Everything is stable even though it's a laptop with Intel on board GPU.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 06, 2018, 07:52:03 pm
I'm unable to reproduce the freeze. Maybe the problem is related to Windows 10? (I'm on 7).

Or, if it's a laptop, see if NVil is using the dedicated GPU instead of the one embedded into CPU.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 07:59:43 pm by rubberDuck »

• No avatar
  • Vertex
January 06, 2018, 08:41:34 pm
I'm unable to reproduce the freeze. Maybe the problem is related to Windows 10? (I'm on 7).

Or, if it's a laptop, see if NVil is using the dedicated GPU instead of the one embedded into CPU.

Thanks for checking and answering. Well I must confess that I only have an onboard Intel HD Graphic card on my laptop (I hope you still take me seriously though :o). It's actually possible for me to use 3D-Coat dx-version, Rocket3f, Marmotools Toolbag, Rhino, Sketchup without any problems. But it seems that Nvil simply can't handle the Intel HD Graphic card - or maybe it's the other way around (since you can't reproduce the crash).

Right now I have a dedicated desktop PC with 64GB Ram and Nvidia GTX 1080 GPU card, but I like to model simple stuff and experiment on my laptop because it's much more handy to pickup and model for a while and then switch to other things on the laptop.

I'm saving for a laptop with a dedicated GPU like Nvidia GTX 1050/1060 but at the moment I can't afford it.

Thanks.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 06, 2018, 10:01:40 pm

Thanks for checking and answering. Well I must confess that I only have an onboard Intel HD Graphic card on my laptop (I hope you still take me seriously though :o ). It's actually possible for me to use 3D-Coat dx-version, Rocket3f, Marmotools Toolbag, Rhino, Sketchup without any problems. But it seems that Nvil simply can't handle the Intel HD Graphic card - or maybe it's the other way around (since you can't reproduce the crash).

Right now I have a dedicated desktop PC with 64GB Ram and Nvidia GTX 1080 GPU card, but I like to model simple stuff and experiment on my laptop because it's much more handy to pickup and model for a while and then switch to other things on the laptop.
Strange. If you aren't experiencing any problems running Rocket 3F then you shouldn't be experiencing any when running NVil because R3F is a heavily customized NVil. Maybe your security software interferes with some components of NVil? Or perhaps you have extracted it to a directory that you don't have write permissions to (I did that once and NVil began to freak out)?

I'm sure IStonia (the developer of NVil) will notice this thread and help you ASAP. NVil's support is one of the best I've seen, so no need to worry.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 06, 2018, 10:03:12 pm
But what is the most puzzling is that your whole operating system freezes.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
January 06, 2018, 10:59:17 pm
Strange. If you aren't experiencing any problems running Rocket 3F then you shouldn't be experiencing any when running NVil because R3F is a heavily customized NVil. Maybe your security software interferes with some components of NVil? Or perhaps you have extracted it to a directory that you don't have write permissions to (I did that once and NVil began to freak out)?

I'm sure IStonia (the developer of NVil) will notice this thread and help you ASAP. NVil's support is one of the best I've seen, so no need to worry.
You are right it's really weired. Something regarding the customization in Nvil that isn't exactly like it is in Rocket3f could be the cause maybe.
I will check my security software thanks - haven't got any except windows own security.

Regarding write permission I must have it because it's placed in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Nvil

By the way - I'm running the Steam Version (Hope I'm allowed to use this forum though). So Steam has to run to be able to start Nvil.

Maybe Istonia could have a suggestion.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
January 06, 2018, 11:10:37 pm
But what is the most puzzling is that your whole operating system freezes.
Yes I don't understand that. I have had programs and software crash itself but in windows 7 and windows 10 I have never had a program that froze Windows and required a hard reboot?? :o. That's something that happened in the good old days with XP and below. The only situation where I have had this kind of freeze is if I have experimented with overclocking but that's not the case here.

But I did try to experiment with trial and error to see if I could close other processes or having fewer programs open when running Nvil.
Now I actually succeeded in making a custom tool in Nvil without a freeze.

What I did was 3 things:
Having less Chrome windows open.

Changing the Virtual Memory file to a lower setting from 7GB to 3GB (as recommended by system). That way I got more space on the harddisc. But I was not that low before that it should make the system unstable.

Another thing I did was to close "Process Lasso" a open source system utility process manager that interfers with windows way of prioritizing programs and processes.

The strange thing though is that it is just Nvil that causes this and not any other 3D-software. When the system freezes it's like taking a screenshot that just never dissapears, no response from the mouse, trackpad or keys, no lights in keyboard but the CPU-load seems to be massive. I tried to leave Nvil like this for half an hour with no change. Then I made a hard reboot.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 11:12:14 pm by Hans »

• No avatar
  • Vertex
January 07, 2018, 10:36:15 am
Ok I think I might have found the cause (though it's like finding a needle in a haystack). I think it's something with having Chrome browser open with several tabs/windows open - especially with a lot of multimedia content. For example I have youtube tutorials running to learn Nvil. It seems like Nvil can handle a certain amount of windows/multimedia but at a point it simply crashes when trying to customize or view toolbars etc.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
January 08, 2018, 11:22:24 am
Hi
Nvil simply freezes my computer when trying to setup a new Tool. If I choose Customize>Setup Streamline Tool>New Tool>
Then make a new tool and naming it, then choosing "edge loop" and then pressing "set" the screen freezes and goes into what seems like a indefinitely loop. Nothing works. No mouse, no button works. Only a cold reboot is possible.

Does it happen every time when you click the basic streamline tool or it happens randomly?

• No avatar
  • Vertex
January 08, 2018, 06:51:50 pm
Hi

Does it happen every time when you click the basic streamline tool or it happens randomly?

Hi Istonia

When the problem is there then it happens by doing exactly this. But I also experienced the freezze doing other stuff in other menus. It seems to happen when surfing through the menus that it happens.

But now I seem to have tracked it down to having Google Chrome open with several instances containing videos - for example youtube etc. Could it be a combination of clicking in the menus and having Chrome open with multimedia?

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
January 08, 2018, 08:37:18 pm
I don't know. It seems it is your system related and I have no way to avoid it.