News:

Topic: Create Polygon Streamline tool improvement  (Read 3409 times)

• No avatar
  • Edge
November 10, 2017, 09:24:20 pm
Whne doing retoplogy sometimes is crucial to have precision when creating new polygons, that's when polygon creation tool comes into play. Unfortunatalley every time I need to append new polygon to another one I need to always click 5 times, even going through exsting edges, which is in my opinion to much. It is not super problematic when doing it from time to time, but when you have a lot of tihgt space, or narrow surfaces it adds.

Is there possibility to make create polygon tool to solve this problem, by figuring out by itself which edges are already existing, reducing amount of click when appending new polygon. It would be even better to have option to constraint the tool only to quads,then enable it to start polygon creation by first picking the edge and then only laying two another points to creeat new quad. The same way it works in other retopo apps like topogun, or 3d coat.

Hope it makes sense.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
November 10, 2017, 10:35:13 pm
I think the tool is there already. Help > Contents > Modeling > Edge Section > Retopo > Polygon creation tools > By bridging between existing edges. For first polygon, 3 clicks. For the following polygons, 2 clicks.

• Polygon
November 10, 2017, 10:47:56 pm
Hi Xenoox

Have you tried draw mesh for retopology ?

http://samardac.com/nvil-forum//index.php/topic,4155.0.html

http://samardac.com/nvil-forum//index.php/topic,4393.0.html

In blender the Face tool is pretty awesome which does what you describe where you can simply select existing vert or edges and hit F to create new polygons. It also many other powerful features which are not so obvious. As Istonia says the closest equivalent to it in Nvil is Bridge.

• No avatar
  • Edge
November 10, 2017, 11:22:56 pm
My mistake, I read through the manual, but might have missed this function. Thanks for the help IStonia, this is exactly what I wanted.

@kevjon - I use Draw Mesh frequently and I love it, best implementation so far. What annoys me is that I have to jump off the retopo mode every time i need to use the tool. I tried to find a workaround to invoke Draw Mesh via using composite tool, but couldnt find a solution as of yet. I usually use it with vertex and edge snapping on. It goes like this - go out of retopo tool, turn snapping on, use Draw Mesh, turn snapping off, go back to retopo tool. So, is there a way to use it while using retopo visual tool, and avoid all that unneceserry steps?

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
November 11, 2017, 08:43:47 am
I did some bug fixings in the Retopo tool
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Nov-11-17.rar

My mistake, I read through the manual, but might have missed this function. Thanks for the help IStonia, this is exactly what I wanted.

@kevjon - I use Draw Mesh frequently and I love it, best implementation so far. What annoys me is that I have to jump off the retopo mode every time i need to use the tool. I tried to find a workaround to invoke Draw Mesh via using composite tool, but couldnt find a solution as of yet. I usually use it with vertex and edge snapping on. It goes like this - go out of retopo tool, turn snapping on, use Draw Mesh, turn snapping off, go back to retopo tool. So, is there a way to use it while using retopo visual tool, and avoid all that unneceserry steps?

Try this

1 Create a composite tool, "Turn_On_Vertex_Snapping". IF NOT "Snapping Options >> Toggle Vertex", "Snapping Options >> Toggle Vertex".
  Create a composite tool, "Turn_On_Edge_Snapping". IF NOT "Snapping Options >> Toggle Edge", "Snapping Options >> Toggle Edge".
  Create a Composite tool, "Turn_On_VertexEdge_Snapping", which contains the above two composite tools.

2 Create a composite tool, "Toggle_VertexEdge_Snapping", which contains "Snapping Options >> Toggle Vertex" and "Snapping Options >> Toggle Edge".

3 Customize the "Draw Mesh" streamline tool. Turn on option "Can be activated only when Retopo tool on". Assign "Turn_On_VertexEdge_Snapping" to "On Activated" event. Assign "Toggle_VertexEdge_Snapping" to "On Exit" event.

• No avatar
  • Edge
November 11, 2017, 10:48:47 am
Thanks IStonia! I will definitely try this.

• No avatar
  • Edge
November 13, 2017, 02:20:14 pm
Adding composit tool to "On Activated" slot doesn't seem to work, while composite tool itself works.

I have another request. Could you add to Create Polygon Tool ctrl mode, ability to create triangles, by clickin in the same spot twice (or other solution, that would be easier to implement). As for now I can only create quads. There is also one problem concerinig this tool, sometimes , when appending to existing geometry I'm unable to snap to second vertex, after I snapped to first one

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon

• No avatar
  • Edge
November 14, 2017, 11:45:19 am
Composite tool issue is fixed, snapping too. However there is new issue regarding the triangle creation. When using mouse it is mostly fine, but when using tablet it's almost impossible for me to create quads, creating triangles 90% of a time. It might be due to slight movement of the pen after the first click. The only way to make it work properly, is to click edge, click the first point and then drag with pen tip stll down (button hold) to position second point. Is that intedent?. Maybe better solution would be to use modifier key to constraint to triangles instead of double click.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon

• No avatar
  • Edge
November 14, 2017, 01:06:08 pm
Works greats now. Thanks!