News:

Topic: Create a object screenshot on save for Library  (Read 3715 times)

• Spline
    • www.weisheim.com
August 11, 2017, 05:17:59 pm
Hi,

would it be maybe possible to add a option: to create a screenshot of the viewport or saved object (if save selected) on saving the file. Screenshot should have the same name like the obj or vws and be in the same folder.

It couldbe located in the "File Format Options" as extra option. I have seen the library tool, it creates already screenshots, but i have to save files often in obj+vws in custom project structures.

Would be really great to have this feature for example on creating custom libraries and searching later by looking on the pics and not only on names of the files.To make this feature more user friendly it would be also nice to see jpegs on file open dialog window. Otherwise it shows only vws or obj files and hide other files in a folder...

ps: 3dsmax have the feature to save a screenshot direct in the file icon.( if looking on .max file in explorer in "extra large icons" mode, the icon looks like screenshot of the scene. That would be even more great, if its possible.. (see screenshot)

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 06:42:57 pm by Woolfy »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
August 23, 2017, 12:00:46 pm
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Aug-23-17.rar

Please test these two options
  * Edit > Preference > Options 1 > Save snap shot when save to file/Save BG image in scene file.

• Spline
    • www.weisheim.com
August 23, 2017, 02:19:42 pm
Hi,

for first Thanks a lot !!!!! It helps incredible to create libraries and see whats inside the file especially if there are a lot of them.

* Edit > Preference > Options 1 > Save snap shot when save to file

Works perfect! Is it possible to customize the size of the screenshot nvil makes?

* Edit > Preference > Options 1 > Save BG image in scene file.

If i understood right, it should save images that i imported as reference (Object Shortcut Tools >> BG Image) inside vws file? I this case it stores the BG Image inside vws file even if i turn the checkbox OFF.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
August 23, 2017, 02:41:48 pm
Hi,

for first Thanks a lot !!!!! It helps incredible to create libraries and see whats inside the file especially if there are a lot of them.

Works perfect! Is it possible to customize the size of the screenshot nvil makes?

What is the size you want?

If i understood right, it should save images that i imported as reference (Object Shortcut Tools >> BG Image) inside vws file? I this case it stores the BG Image inside vws file even if i turn the checkbox OFF.

You understand it right. I have reupload the file. See if the bug fixed.
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Aug-23-17.rar

• Spline
    • www.weisheim.com
August 23, 2017, 03:08:12 pm

The picture could be a little bigger for my taste. So like 1024x1024. I dont know it its then much slower on saving, if it is 512x512 should be enough..

I tested it again, but again if i turn checkbox "off" it still saves BG image inside vws file.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
August 23, 2017, 04:24:42 pm
I tested it again, but again if i turn checkbox "off" it still saves BG image inside vws file.

It works fine on me. Can you redownload and test again?

• Spline
    • www.weisheim.com
August 23, 2017, 07:27:35 pm
Hi,

Now i tested it on my home pc instead for work pc .The same issue.. I just write down what i did so maybe there is misunderstanding in case of my bad english.

- Installed new version.
- Turned checkbox "off"----> on  "Edit > Preference > Options 1 > Save BG image in scene file"
- Go in side view. For example Left/Right
- Load image via BG Image (see screenshot 1). In my case i used Composite tool that i copied from Rocket 3f in the past.
- Save file as vws.
- Close Nvil
- Open Nvil again
- Load vws. file
- Go in Left/Right view
- voila ... the picture is still there..
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 07:31:12 pm by Woolfy »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
August 23, 2017, 11:14:11 pm
Your understanding is not right.

Imagine you create your scene file at home. when you save you file with that option off, the scene file only keeps the path of the BG image file. Then you bring you scene file to work and open it there. Now you won't have the BG image because the BG image file is not in that hard drive. With the option on, the whole image file is copied into scene file.

• Spline
    • www.weisheim.com
August 24, 2017, 06:11:12 am
Ahh ok now i got it. I tested it, it works right. :)

Thanks a lot :)

• Spline
    • www.weisheim.com
August 24, 2017, 06:45:56 am
I noticed yesterday that the new build 23 Aug crashes on my pc´s.

First i was thinking it relies on my file. I tested it with another file the same issue. After couple minutes work it starts to freezing ( feels like Nvil do something in background. Sometimes it crashes, sometimes i can work again, but after couple steps freezing start again. The same on my home and work pc´s.

I also tried to go back to 22 Aug build. It works fine with the same file...No crashes..

Dont know what happens.  :'(
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 06:50:26 am by Woolfy »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
September 05, 2017, 08:58:24 am
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Sep-05-17.rar

* Edit > Preference > Options 1 > Save snap shot when save to file/Save BG image in scene file. General > Save file snap shot size.

• Spline
    • www.weisheim.com
September 05, 2017, 11:53:49 am
Yes the features works amazing!!!
Special thanks to custom size for icons.

If any crashes happens later, i will post it.