News:

Topic: Crashes  (Read 1643 times)

• Spline
    • www.weisheim.com
August 29, 2017, 12:28:52 pm
Hi ,

i notified a lot of crashes on Nvil 22.Aug Version. I model some of hardsurface stuff in the moment. Use couple "instances" in my scene and it gets very instable with time. Nvil just crashes randomly(not predictable) after 5-10 min and i loose a lot of work.

The scene itself is not very heavy(150 k tris) in terms of polygon, but a lot of objects.

1.I just wanted to ask what could be the reasons?
2.Clean scene?
3.Should i avoid instances because they are heavy?
4.Should i avoid autosmooth on exit in Streamline Tools?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 12:34:53 pm by Woolfy »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 29, 2017, 12:43:26 pm
Hi Woolfy,

The Aug-22 build was pulled(no longer available). You would be wise to drop back to at least Aug-16 build (NOTE:- that build is still classed as beta).

http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Aug-16-17.rar

If you are concerned about beta builds, use last general release Jun-16

http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Jun-16-17.rar

• Spline
    • www.weisheim.com
August 29, 2017, 12:47:48 pm
Ahh ok thanks a lot for info!! I will switch back of course.. And will try it with this scene :)

One question what happens if i use for example some new tools/streamline tools, that are implemented in newer beta, then install the older beta and use same preference file. Does it makes problems?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 12:50:11 pm by Woolfy »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 29, 2017, 12:55:14 pm
Not that I have seen, the tools simply do not function. For example:- if you have a composite tool that used a new tool/function, but is now missing, the composite tool will simply not work as expected, it will not cause a crash.

Make good use of the incremental save, and save often while using the beta builds. It avoids hair pulling sessions  ;D

• Spline
    • www.weisheim.com
August 29, 2017, 01:29:16 pm
Yes that was the issue with crashes. Since i switched to the older version there are no more crashes!!!!
Thanks for help!

Thats amazing how stable Nvil actually is (beta not included). Remember the days of using Silo where it was a daily pain..
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 01:35:38 pm by Woolfy »