News:

Topic: Boolean object badly imported into nvil....  (Read 1921 times)

• No avatar
  • Vertex
August 27, 2017, 01:52:51 pm
Hi

So, when i import an object that has been cut out with boolean operations into nvil the geometry imports bad with missing polygons and such.

As an example here is a geometry that has been cut out with boolean operation in Blender.

And here is the imported geometry, through OBJ format, into Nvil. Most of the holes are block out.

I can check the option of "Triangulate Faces" in blender for export the OBJ and it will then load fine in Nvil, but the end result is far more polygons.

The object does export well out of blender without the "Triangulate Faces" option because i don`t have problems in other apps as seen here.

Is there any way to load this kind of geometry resulting of a boolean operation into nvil?

Thanks

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 27, 2017, 09:14:49 pm
Hi yolao,

Blender (+ some other applications) perform an internal optimization for display. In Nvil it does not(it would be a lot of work to implement).
If you really need to import such an object into Nvil, either:-

After import, select all polygons, and use "Optimize". That will resolve the issue you see, but it will also add a lot of extra edges that may not be what/where you want.

You could manually optimize yourself and add cuts/edges.

or, what I would do, is to create such a model in Nvil, which would only take a few minutes, and would have better topology.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
August 28, 2017, 02:37:00 am
Thanks Steve.

As i said i could also check "Triangulate Faces" in blender and it will export the object fine into nvil but with far more polygons as i show in one of the screen shots. Sometimes i work with booleans for hard surface objects and it that case i definitively prefer blender booleans.

Anyways, i tried the "Optimize" option and it give less amount of polygons than export from blender with "Triangulate Faces" which is good.

Thanks again.
Best Regards