News:

Topic: Soft Selection Improvements  (Read 3102 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
July 28, 2017, 10:21:25 am
Hi Istonia.

The current Soft Selection tool is very useful.

But many times i find it a little bit limited.

I looking for a way to do something like this.
Please watch this video from minute 07:50 to 08:30.
In particular look at 08:10.

https://youtu.be/yi87Dap_WOc

It should be possible to have this behaviors implemented also in NVIL/R3F ?

I don't know but for what I've tried so far, Soft Selection it's rather limited and I was not able to achieve that behavior.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Marco (mkdm)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 28, 2017, 02:40:15 pm
Use the "soft selection" popup window (View >> Windows >> Soft selection Window) to adjust falloff curve. (use the buttons to select presets, or adjust manually in curve shape window).

• No avatar
  • Spline
July 29, 2017, 11:30:30 pm
Use the "soft selection" popup window (View >> Windows >> Soft selection Window) to adjust falloff curve. (use the buttons to select presets, or adjust manually in curve shape window).

Hi Steve.

Thanks for suggestion.
Anyway, I already knew the falloff curve but it's very difficult to manage it in order to achieve the same
results like Blender.
I think that the "falloff curve"'s UI is too weird and too small and it's not easy to understand how it works.

It could be much more easy and useful if R3F/NVIL can provide a list of presets to apply different
behavior to the soft selection.

I hope Istonia will implement this feature.

Bye.

Marco (mkdm)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 30, 2017, 12:12:24 am
It could be much more easy and useful if R3F/NVIL can provide a list of presets to apply different
There are 14 preset curves, use the +/- button.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
July 30, 2017, 08:12:52 am

Hi Steve.

Thanks for suggestion.
Anyway, I already knew the falloff curve but it's very difficult to manage it in order to achieve the same
results like Blender.
I think that the "falloff curve"'s UI is too weird and too small and it's not easy to understand how it works.

I hope Istonia will implement this feature.

Bye.

Marco (mkdm)

The vertical value of the curve indicates the soft selection weight. The curve provides the possibility for you to create your own effect if none of the presets are what you want.

I don't see it is more difficult than Blender if you use the presets. If I create a list, I just don't know how to name them. If I just give it a name anyway, people will find it hard to understand what it means.

• No avatar
  • Spline
July 30, 2017, 04:48:50 pm
Hi Istonia.

Thanks for the info.

But the main problem I'm experiencing with Soft selection it that its setup windows with the curve
is too small in order to easily manage it.
I mean that often to a little amount of dragging of its control point, corresponds a great change of the curve.

If you could provide a much bigger and comfortable UI for the soft selection setup, things could be much easier.

Another issue that I don't know to solve is the case I show you with this video :

http://take.ms/gq236

This is the NVIL's file : http://take.ms/iEDVG

And this is also the screenshot :

As you can see I've two cylinder.
One without cap and one with top cap.

If I want to, for example, bend or made other modification, only on the top part of the cylinder,
based on soft selection, with the first cylinder this is not possible, because I must select one vertex
that is placed not in the center of the cylinder but is on top side.

When instead I try to do the same thing with the second cylinder, I have no problem because
I can select the vertex that is on the top cap and in this way soft selection if performed weel
following the surface of the cylinder.

I don't know if I made myself clear, but if you watch the video all should be clear enough.

I think that the Soft Selection should provide the way to select some "hidden" bounding box center of the
current selection, in order to apply the soft selection equally over the surface.

Please, let me know what do you think about this request.

Thanks.

Marco (mkdm)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
July 31, 2017, 12:31:01 pm
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Aug-01-17.rar

The image is bigger.

You can create some helper geometry. For example, disable soft selection, use the related streamline tool to create an isolated vertex, move the vertex to where you want the soft selection to start, then enable soft selection and select that isolated vertex.

• No avatar
  • Spline
July 31, 2017, 01:47:21 pm
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Aug-01-17.rar

The image is bigger.

You can create some helper geometry. For example, disable soft selection, use the related streamline tool to create an isolated vertex, move the vertex to where you want the soft selection to start, then enable soft selection and select that isolated vertex.

Thank you very much Istonia.

Now is a little bit better :)
Could you please add the chance to save user presets of soft selection curve in order to use them ?

Just one final question (for the moment).
I have tried to create an isolated vertex with the relative tool but without result.
Which are the necessary step to perform ?
Disable soft selection...OK, but what I have to do ? Select the while object ? select one edge or vertex ?
Click with LMB or RMB ?....

P.S.
I've experienced that I can also select one edge loop and use the soft selection to evenly distribute the selection over the surface. For example if I have a cylinder without caps and I select one of its two final edge loops, I'm able to adjust the soft selection to evenly distribute its "strength" over the cylinder's surface.

I stay tuned. Thanks again.

Marco (mkdm)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
August 01, 2017, 09:47:54 am
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Aug-02-17.rar

You can save your own setting.

I don't know why you can't build soft selection from isolated vertex. Can you show it in a video?

• No avatar
  • Spline
August 01, 2017, 10:02:26 am
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Aug-02-17.rar

You can save your own setting.

I don't know why you can't build soft selection from isolated vertex. Can you show it in a video?

Hi Istonia. Thanks. I'm going to test this new version.

Regarding your question, the matter is that I simply didn't understand how to add isolated vertices to a given position.

Could you please tell me how to do it ?

Thanks.

Marco (mkdm)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
August 01, 2017, 10:25:11 am
Once you select it, just move it in the same way as you use to move other geometries.

• No avatar
  • Spline
August 02, 2017, 01:33:54 pm
Once you select it, just move it in the same way as you use to move other geometries.

Ok Istonia.

But, I'm sorry...I never used that tools before and I don't know how it works.
For what I know, I have created the isolated vertex but if I select it and then activate the Soft Selection
nothing happens.

What I have to do with that Isolated vertex ?

I show you what I have done in this video : http://take.ms/qgekC

As you can see I have a cylinder and my aim is to use the Soft Selection starting from the center
of the topmost edge loop of the cylinder.

In the first part of the video I select the edge loop and all works fine, but in the second part
I try to use an isolated vertex that I have created.

But as you can see if I select the isolated vertex nothing happens with Soft selection.

What am I doing wrong ?

I stay tuned.

Thanks.

Marco (mkdm)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 02, 2017, 02:07:27 pm
But as you can see if I select the isolated vertex nothing happens with Soft selection.

What am I doing wrong ?

In Soft selection options, change to "Spherical" selection.

• No avatar
  • Spline
August 02, 2017, 02:20:29 pm

What am I doing wrong ?

In Soft selection options, change to "Spherical" selection.

Thanks a lot Steve.

Perfect!! It seems to works as I expect.

Asap I'm going to do some additional test to gain confidence with that tool.

Have a nice day.

Marco (mkdm)