News:

Topic: New Tool Test "Draw Mesh"  (Read 35950 times)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 13, 2017, 06:50:01 pm
Ho ho, it works. :)

But my main problem is that I can't get used to workflow in which you need to plan ahead the position of poles first (= begin drawing from a spline that is connected to a pole), and then draw the rest of the edeges. For many years I've been doing the the exact opposite. Place main loops first, then think about where would the best position of poles be. :)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 13, 2017, 07:21:08 pm
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5_r9d5SdkIvTFdRNEp6bmhjRVk
Perhaps a post operation of vertex welding could be automated with a composite tool? But is it possible to apply global distance welding (within the current object) only to vertices of a mesh that was generated by the most recent Draw Mesh call? Otherwise, if there is already other geometry present in the current object, it could weld its vertices too, and this could easily turn into a disaster in production environment because there's a high chance the unwanted welding wouldn't be immediately noticed.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 07:22:43 pm by rubberDuck »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
July 14, 2017, 12:47:55 pm
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Jul-16-17.rar

* To break a line, press RMB at the line then tap Space key.
* Edit > Preference > Draw Mesh auto weld threshold. It can be used to weld the generated vertices within new mesh and to the existing mesh.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 14, 2017, 04:20:19 pm
Please rethink snapping option.

For splines:- we have "Spline Snap" that snaps along length of spline, "Vertex snap" snaps to endpoints of spline.
With "Draw mesh", "Spline snap" is snapping to endpoints of [Draw mesh]Spline with no snapping to spline length.

It may appear small matter, but it is another inconsistancy.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 14, 2017, 07:29:31 pm
* Edit > Preference > Draw Mesh auto weld threshold. It can be used to weld the generated vertices within new mesh and to the existing mesh.
Thanks, welding works like a charm. I can't figure out how to connect the drawn mesh with the existing one though. I'm using vertex snapping and draw lines from existing vertices, but the mesh won't generate.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
July 15, 2017, 07:50:36 am
Thanks, welding works like a charm. I can't figure out how to connect the drawn mesh with the existing one though. I'm using vertex snapping and draw lines from existing vertices, but the mesh won't generate.

Once the mesh is generated, the new vertices will be checked against the existing vertices. If close within auto weld threshold, weld.

Please rethink snapping option.

For splines:- we have "Spline Snap" that snaps along length of spline, "Vertex snap" snaps to endpoints of spline.
With "Draw mesh", "Spline snap" is snapping to endpoints of [Draw mesh]Spline with no snapping to spline length.

It may appear small matter, but it is another inconsistancy.

What I considered is that the reference object vertices may do harm to the snapping in vertex mode. But I will make it also available in vertex mode so you can have a choice.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 15, 2017, 11:13:06 am

Once the mesh is generated, the new vertices will be checked against the existing vertices. If close within auto weld threshold, weld.
Ah, I see now. We need to draw lines over existing edges we are connecting to. This feels like a superfluous step. Do you think you could change it so it would work in cases similar to the following (see attachment)?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 11:19:34 am by rubberDuck »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 15, 2017, 04:44:05 pm
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Jul-17-17.rar
I was trying to do the same thing that I did on the gif. NVil threw an exception and then crashed:
Code: [Select]
************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at DigitalFossil.AnimationDesign.ModelDesigner.Strln_DrawRetopo.CreateMesh(ArrayList polyHolders, ArrayList finalPts, Single scale)
   at DigitalFossil.AnimationDesign.ModelDesigner.Strln_DrawRetopo.CreateGeometry(CharacterHolder hintObj)
   at DigitalFossil.AnimationDesign.ModelDesigner.Strln_DrawRetopo.Exit()
   at DigitalFossil.AnimationDesign.ModelDesigner.StreamLineEngine.ActivateToolCore(StreamLineTool strlTool, Boolean enviromentCheckRequired, Boolean activatingByMouseButton)
   at DigitalFossil.AnimationDesign.ModelDesigner.StreamLineEngine.set_activatedStrlTool(StreamLineTool value)
   at DigitalFossil.AnimationDesign.ModelDesigner.StreamLineEngine.OnAppFormKeyUp(Object sender, KeyEventArgs e)
   at DigitalFossil.AnimationDesign.ModelDesigner.OnAppFormKeyUp(Object sender, KeyEventArgs e)
   at DigitalFossil.AnimationDesign.AnimationDesignGraphicWindow.OnAppFormKeyUp(Object sender, KeyEventArgs e)
   at DigitalFossil.AnimationDesign.AnimationDesignForm.OnFormKeyUp(Object sender, KeyEventArgs e)
   at DigitalFossil.KeyboardControler.Form_KeyUp(Object sender, KeyEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.KeyEventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, KeyEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnKeyUp(KeyEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyEventArgs(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ProcessKeyPreview(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmKeyChar(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
July 15, 2017, 05:01:51 pm
Any steps that can recreate the bug?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 15, 2017, 06:15:49 pm

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator