News:

Topic: [Fixed] Duplicate/Split Mesh Object Error  (Read 13088 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
September 29, 2011, 09:07:23 pm
There seems to be quite a serious bug with Splitting or Duplicating polys into a new Mesh or Object parts.  I have noticed it a few times and the result is that you cannot combine either Objects or Meshes and, more seriously, cannot save out an obj or dae file to get the mesh into another application. 

It's not 100% reproducible unfortunately, which is why I haven't bugged it until now but it happened recently on a model I have been working on and lost a lot of work.

The bug about not being able to export a corrupted object to obj or dae may or may not be related to the Splitting/Duplicating/Combine bug.  I just noticed that the two bugs coincided with each other.

I will post more clues if and when I encounter them.

Cheers

p.s. I have to be honest here and say that I'm still not a fan of the extra subobject addition of 'Mesh' within an object structure.  I don't feel that it is necessary and just serves to complicate things. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 09:20:37 am by ghib »
Senior 3D Artist

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
September 30, 2011, 02:09:00 am
It is possible to save it as vws?

The mesh part in object structure is part of the fundamental. It is not possible to remove it.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
September 30, 2011, 07:18:16 am
Istonia, it happened as I was blocking out a base mesh for a sculpt at work.  I think I saved out the vws so I could send to you later.

ok I understand if you can't get rid of the Mesh subobject.
Senior 3D Artist

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
September 30, 2011, 01:56:24 pm
Got the shirt. Yeah, there is bugs in material handling in exporting.
If you assign material to all geometries, it should be fine.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
September 30, 2011, 03:48:09 pm
YES!  This fixes both problems.  This shouldn't happen at all as I would never have figured that out.
One way round this should be to FORCE a standard Default Scene Material onto an object if all other materials have been deleted.  This Default Material should always be there (behind the scenes and hidden from the user until this issue arises) or...

The Default Material that currently can be set by the user could be used instead.
Senior 3D Artist

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
October 01, 2011, 02:42:08 am
I don't use the user default material for not materialled polygons. It requires quite a bit recoding. I don't think it is a big deal, so I stop here.