News:

Topic: Quadrify Ngons?  (Read 13644 times)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 04, 2012, 02:13:44 pm
But tris and quads as shown in the shot is possible. The shot is from trueSpace. I`ve filled the Ngon with quads and tris with the quadrify tool there.

OK, I will have a look.

I was one of the unfortunates who purchased the latest Truespace just before they sold the technology to MS (Christmas sale), I purchased the VRay plugin as well lol

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 04, 2012, 02:25:47 pm
Hm, cannot get this one to work. I haven`t found the makequad command in any menu yet. But i`ve hotkeyed it. Unfortunately i cannot hold down my hotkey, click with the mouse, and also reach the plus button. I would need a third hand.

What i did was to activate the makequad tool in the Smart tips with selected Ngon. When i click at the Ngon it turns into the quad geometry. But even here it doesn`t help to press + or - to change the mode. It always creates the same geometry, adding vertices at the cutting points.

Set up a Streamline tool.
In the Streamline Customize window, the "Basic Streamline Tool" should be set in one of the top 6 entries. Place the "Make Quad" in the "NMB Tool"(No Mouse button). When you then press the shortcut key. the "Make quad" will create/rotate the geometry while the mouse is moving.
The +/- keys are not the ones on the num_pad, but along the top. You may need to remap them if you use a different keyboard layout.

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
September 04, 2012, 06:39:06 pm
The +/- keys are not the ones on the num_pad, but along the top.

Thanks Steve, this should lead me into the right direction. German keyboard layout ... :)
Free Gamegraphics, Freeware Games http//www.reinerstilesets.de

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
September 04, 2012, 08:14:27 pm
Tiles, I don't think the result of quadrify in the pic is close to what you actually want. It is just a mess.

I can make a tool that can create quads with better result. But it will only work in grid style quad mesh like the one in the pic.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 04, 2012, 11:07:10 pm
I don't think the result of quadrify in the pic is close to what you actually want. It is just a mess.

I would not describe it as a mess, but would not (since naming appears to be so important at times) call the tool that created it a "Quadify" tool, given the results are not all quads.

There is a tool in Wings3d "Tesselate-> Quadrangulate", which although a strange name, does better describe a tessellation tool giving a result of a mixture of quads+tri`s.

This is the result on (similar shape) n-gon with that wing3d tool:-

Now for a mess, unfortunately the results from triangulating that same n-gon in Nvil will currently result in overlapping polygons.

Although I do not normally find myself in such a situation with such an n-gon, any improvement on the result in Nvil would be welcomed (and maybe you could add such improvement to the underlying triangulation used for Nvil display)

« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 11:09:26 pm by steve »

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
September 05, 2012, 07:57:01 am
I would not describe it as a mess, but would not (since naming appears to be so important at times) call the tool that created it a "Quadify" tool, given the results are not all quads.

The main purpose of this tool is simply to eliminate any NGons at a mesh. And is exactly what i want. It turns a NGon mesh into a Quad and Tris Mesh by selecting all faces and hitting the "quadrify" button. So quadrify isn`t this bad as a name. Quadrangulate isn`t this bad neither. You can also call it Split NGon. or divide NGon into quads and tris. I`m green with everything that describes the function of the tool in a proper way.

The result is also in Wings 3D as messy as the underlying triangulation. Seems that Wings does a better job with the optimization here. And also in Nvil, as shown by Steve :)

The problem with grid style quad mesh is that it adds extra geometry. But that`s usually why i introduce big NGons at all. To get rid of the extra geometry, to eliminate not necessary vertices. To make the mesh smaller :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 08:14:00 am by Tiles »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 05, 2012, 08:15:41 am
Hi Tiles,

I am just curious.
When TrueSpace re-builds the n-gons with quads/tri`s, does it allow non-planer quads to be created? or does it triangulate to remove those?
(I was going to have a look at TS to check, but it is on a backup DVD somewhere I cannot find at the moment)

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
September 05, 2012, 08:32:41 am
It does. It uses the underlying triangulated geometry. And when this geometry is non planar, then it creates of course non planar quads.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 10:53:05 am by Tiles »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
September 08, 2012, 11:00:31 am
Done.