News:

Topic: Quadrify Ngons?  (Read 11194 times)

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
September 02, 2012, 07:53:49 am
Is there a tool or method to quadrify (divide into quads) NGons? Triangulate is not always what i want. And manually adding the missing edges is a bit cumbersome :)
Free Gamegraphics, Freeware Games http//www.reinerstilesets.de

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 02, 2012, 01:40:26 pm
Hi Tiles,

Basic streamline tool "Make Quad". You will need to set up a streamline tool for that.
The "Make Quad" is under the streamline "Polygon Tools"

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
September 02, 2012, 04:46:24 pm
Thanks Steve, will give it a go :)

EDIT, nope, doesn`t work. I´ve created a new streamline tool, habe setup a hotkey, On Activated / Polygon Shortcut Tools >> Make Quad Concave. Then i selected a NGon, have hit my hotkey, and the Ngon stays a NGon. Hm.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 05:17:21 pm by Tiles »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
September 02, 2012, 08:45:45 pm
Tiles, Do you really what 'Make Quad Concave' does?

There two tools you can use

- Geometry > Common Tools n Commands > Quad Cap. You need to delete the ngon first. And some selections are required for defining the quad formation.

- StreamLine Basic Tools > Polygon Tools > Make Quad. This tool is more flexible. It works on polygon selections. You can change the quad formation by some key operations while the tool is still live. Note: You don't have '+'/'-" key on you german keyboard. But you can check with the original keychart layout to find out which keys they are in your keyboard. They are the two keys next to the '0' key to the right.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 08:52:25 pm by IStonia »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 02, 2012, 08:50:00 pm
>> Make Quad Concave.

I stated, use "Make Quad", not "Make Quad concave", that is a different tool.

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
September 03, 2012, 08:02:39 am
Ouch :D

My mistake was that i didn`t find a make quad for the event actions. So i thought that "Make Quad concave" was meant. Got it working now. Thanks for the help :)

Hm, this make quad is a bit different from what i wanted to do. It crosses the edges and adds vertices. Not that this result is bad. But i want to divide the current NGon into quads only, not adding more geometry. Like i would divide it into tris. Just with quads. Is there also a solution?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 03, 2012, 08:10:26 am
But i want to divide the current NGon into quads only, not adding more geometry. Like i would divide it into tris. Just with quads. Is there also a solution?

Not sure what you mean. Have you an example?

• Administrator
  • Polygon
September 03, 2012, 11:40:43 am
Could just dot it by hand, with brodge, cap and the connect tools. Since the app will never know exactly what you want.

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
September 03, 2012, 01:10:25 pm
Model by hand is not always an option because with for example a 20k terrain it is very cumbersome ;)

I mean simply quadrify the ngon, like you would triangulate the ngon. Just with quad results instead tri results :)

• Administrator
  • Polygon
September 03, 2012, 03:15:59 pm
ah i was thinking of it as in props and subd work, where a quaddrify command would never get the edge flow the user wanted, but in the case of terrian i see how usefull it would be.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 03, 2012, 08:54:45 pm
Hi Tiles,

That n-gon is quite complex. I see it is currently filled with quads and tri`s. Is there a programme that can fill that [n-gon] with just quads in a way you have described/want?
I think there can be issues with over_lapping polygon creation.

-------------------------------------

For some n-gons, did you notice the options within the "make-Quad" tool?

Quick example:-
(see pic)
Far left: Original tri face
middle: Default "Make_Quad"
Right: While "make_Quad" active, press "+/-" key to change construct.

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
September 04, 2012, 07:25:28 am
Is there a programme that can fill that [n-gon] with just quads in a way you have described/want?

Nope, because with uneven vertices count you will always end in a tri. But tris and quads as shown in the shot is possible. The shot is from trueSpace. I`ve filled the Ngon with quads and tris with the quadrify tool there.

The algorythm can of course not decide what special geometry you want. All it does is to start at one point, and fill in quads from there. Better said, it uses the underlying triangulation, and leaves away every second edge. Means you may need to fix your geometry here and there afterwards.

It`s nevertheless a very neat time saver that i don`t want to miss anymore :)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 08:02:20 am by Tiles »

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
September 04, 2012, 08:10:16 am
Code: [Select]
For some n-gons, did you notice the options within the "make-Quad" tool?

Quick example:-
(see pic)
Far left: Original tri face
middle: Default "Make_Quad"
Right: While "make_Quad" active, press "+/-" key to change construct.

Hm, cannot get this one to work. I haven`t found the makequad command in any menu yet. But i`ve hotkeyed it. Unfortunately i cannot hold down my hotkey, click with the mouse, and also reach the plus button. I would need a third hand.

What i did was to activate the makequad tool in the Smart tips with selected Ngon. When i click at the Ngon it turns into the quad geometry. But even here it doesn`t help to press + or - to change the mode. It always creates the same geometry, adding vertices at the cutting points.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
September 04, 2012, 10:25:28 am
Is there a programme that can fill that [n-gon] with just quads in a way you have described/want?

Nope, because with uneven vertices count you will always end in a tri. But tris and quads as shown in the shot is possible. The shot is from trueSpace. I`ve filled the Ngon with quads and tris with the quadrify tool there.

The algorythm can of course not decide what special geometry you want. All it does is to start at one point, and fill in quads from there. Better said, it uses the underlying triangulation, and leaves away every second edge. Means you may need to fix your geometry here and there afterwards.

It`s nevertheless a very neat time saver that i don`t want to miss anymore :)

Can you make a video to show me how truepace does it?

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
September 04, 2012, 01:04:39 pm
There isn`t really something to show that`s worth to record the process. I select all faces, or just the Ngon, and simply hit the quadrify button.