News:

Topic: Regarding hard frigging edges...  (Read 3113 times)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 17, 2017, 02:36:57 am
Okay, I'm a little bit frustrated here now. But his has been bothering me for a loooong time now. And today happened the day I simply exploded with rage. :(

Can everything related to this newage "organic" and "non-organic" stuff be disabled in NVil with some magic button?

Data-wise, vertex normals are either hard or soft, meaning - vertex normals are either split or not. There's also the matter of custom vertex normals but it goes beyond this topic as it's inefficient to define custom normals in NVil for the time being.

How on Earth can I get rid of the hard edges being displayed in my viewport? I have them coloured in red (Pure red in "Hard Edges" setting in the preferences). When I load an obj in NVil 99.9% of the time it appears with all hard edges (everything is friggin' red), which would suggest that I have split vertex normals all over the place. Well, I don't.
So to fix this I resort to Harden/Soften edges from the Geometry tree. Does it help? No.

Edges remain red, which means their normals are split (but they aren't!). WTF?

Okay, how about marking every single object in my scene as hmm... "organic" one... Then apply soften edges. Does it work?

It doesn't. Every edge is still marked in red...

To be honest, and to my huge disappointment, the lack of control over my mesh pushes me off from NVil in favour of other 3D modelling applications.
Somehow this aspect of working in NVil became broken since the introduction of this "organic and non-organic" stuff, because it's since the introduction of these... things... I began to have problems in my workflow.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
March 17, 2017, 03:09:11 am
Search "Organic" in Tool Search Window and you will see these tools.

* Set Object Organic Flag.
* Clear Object Organic Flag.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 17, 2017, 03:55:53 am
Search "Organic" in Tool Search Window and you will see these tools.

* Set Object Organic Flag.
* Clear Object Organic Flag.
Tried that already + setting all edges to smooth. Edges remain red in the viewport (as set in Preferences->Color->Hard Edge).

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
March 17, 2017, 04:28:41 am
Can you send me your config files and a sample scene file?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 17, 2017, 04:29:09 am
Hi rubberDuck,

I am not seeing a problem with the mesh I import.
Do you have an example file? (which application is saving the files you import?)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 18, 2017, 03:16:22 am
Okay, I'm an idiot. The reason behind "hard" edges on all of my models that I was opening in NVil yesterday is... embarrassing.
A week ago I was doing some tweaks to UI and colours, and I must have set wireframe to the same colour as hard edges. So every single geo looked like covered with non-removable hard edges. ::)
Remembering some of the problems I had a while ago with hard edges in NVil, I thought the issue came back and automatically my frustration level rose significantly.

So evidently a massive user fail. Sorry about that.  :-[

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
March 18, 2017, 03:38:16 am
What a relief!!!

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 18, 2017, 05:42:07 pm
What a relief!!!
Yeah. An ultimate example of user error.  :P