News:

Topic: UV workflow update?  (Read 2957 times)

• No avatar
  • Triangle
    • Portfolio
February 04, 2017, 11:30:09 am

Any chance of spending some time on this?

If you have the time for it, I could come up with some optimized work flows.

• Triangle
February 06, 2017, 08:48:56 pm
It would be so good, if UV unwrapping in Nvil was anything like modeling with it. Maybe this Rocket 3F yields some income, so Kun can finally redo the UV workflow. Well, I'd find it better if NVil had generated enough income for that.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 07, 2017, 01:23:35 pm
It would be so good, if UV unwrapping in Nvil was anything like modeling with it
Well, we have been waiting a few years, maybe have to wait a few more lol.

Maybe this Rocket 3F yields some income,..........
I find that release a little strange. A version of Nvil with a UI based on a single users workflow, and that workflow based on using other modeling applications. IMHO, it would of been better to of released it as a UI for Nvil. It would of saved IStonia a lot of work re-doing all those tools/functions that are already done, and maybe he could of done the UV mapping instead :(

• No avatar
  • Triangle
    • Portfolio
February 07, 2017, 10:09:37 pm
UVs are almost there.  Not a lot is needed for a good UV tools, most of the work just needs great selection methods  which Nvil already has.

I know Kun is surely exhausted on the project, so I wont complain either way.

• Polygon
February 08, 2017, 07:38:16 am
I don't really find the lack of good uv tools a big problem in Nvil, reason is that I have to export the nvil model to blender to render with cycles so I just use blenders uv tools.

• No avatar
  • Triangle
    • Portfolio
February 08, 2017, 08:21:46 am
Thats the current solution.

Having UV tools done inside Nvil would allow us to finish a complete asset before sending it down the pipeline though.  I mention this because I want to smooth geometry AFTER I do the UVs because I want to use the crease tools inside Nvil.

This situation could also be fixed with FBX support which supports creases.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 08, 2017, 11:20:40 am
UVs are almost there.

UVmapping upgrade was requested 4 years ago, IStonia replied at that time:-
"It is a huge task. I need to do big coding changes to the program then buid up the uv features from scratch."

• Spline
    • www.weisheim.com
March 21, 2017, 03:27:17 am
Would be great to have powerful one, otherwise u need another 3d aplication before backing( in my case realtime assets). Every pakage has its advantage in one descipline. Silo is fast in seams marking, zbrush for base unfold, last 3dsmax version is good in packing...Right now i cant completely replace silo , still need it to make base uv.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 03:31:18 am by Woolfy »

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 21, 2017, 09:18:10 am
Would be great to have powerful one, otherwise u need another 3d aplication before backing( in my case realtime assets). Every pakage has its advantage in one descipline. Silo is fast in seams marking, zbrush for base unfold, last 3dsmax version is good in packing...Right now i cant completely replace silo , still need it to make base uv.

Hi Woolfy.

@You : "Would be great to have powerful one, otherwise u need another 3d aplication before backing"

I can say that after trying many trial versions of pro tools under 2000US$ I definitively chose the
EXCELLENT 3DCoat for UVing/Texturing/Retopo/Baking.

You can't find nothing better for about 380US$.
And there's also an Amateur version for 90US$!!! (with all the features of Pro version)

I think that NVIL is excellent in modelling and this is more than enough for me :)

Have a nice day.

- Marco (mkdm)

• No avatar
  • Vertex
    • Kenmojr's Weblog
March 21, 2017, 10:54:52 am
UV mapping and texturing is a most enjoyable experience in 3DCoat....

• Spline
    • www.weisheim.com
March 21, 2017, 04:52:39 pm
Hi Marco.

Yes, Nvil is a greate tool for modeling. After years using silo i was just surprised how good this tool works. Its modeling like a poet. It has already a huge advantage over silo, only uv is still missing but its ok i can live without it.
For me its most important that this tool works pretty stable. UVs are just a dream  :D

Regards