News:

Topic: Improve "Random" tools  (Read 2515 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
December 21, 2016, 10:50:24 am
Hi Istonia.

In order to improve the "Random" modifiers, I want to ask you to add to NVIL these two additional behaviors :

1) Improve the actual "Random Selection" command with this behavior :
An option to limit the "Random Selection" to acting only on the current selected elements.

In this way it will be very easy and fast to modify only a particular area of the object,
without the need to manually deselect unwanted elements.
This last operation it's furthermore very tedious and slow on complex model.

For example let's say that we have a spider, and I want to do a random selection of the
vertices of only two legs of the spider.
With this feature, it will be sufficient to manually select the vertices of the two legs,
and then run the "Random Selection" command with RMB to perform a random selection starting only
on the already selected vertices.

2) Add an option to specify the MOVE AMOUNT to the "Random Move Vertex" command.
IMHO the current amount of movement it's TOO small.
You could use a slider or something else. I don't know.

That's all.

Have a nice day.

- Marco (mkdm)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 24, 2016, 08:15:25 pm
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Dec-24-16.rar

* "Random Selection" tool is improved. If there was selection, the selection will be marked as random selectable, otherwise all objects/subobjects will be marked as random selectable. Random select will happen on random selectable object/subobject only. "Random Selection_Down/Up" works on random selectable object/subobject only, so "Random Selection" must be performed before. In vertex mode, if soft selection is not enabled, random vertex soft selection will be generated.

• No avatar
  • Spline
December 25, 2016, 04:29:15 pm
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Dec-24-16.rar

* "Random Selection" tool is improved. If there was selection, the selection will be marked as random selectable, otherwise all objects/subobjects will be marked as random selectable. Random select will happen on random selectable object/subobject only. "Random Selection_Down/Up" works on random selectable object/subobject only, so "Random Selection" must be performed before. In vertex mode, if soft selection is not enabled, random vertex soft selection will be generated.

Hi Istonia and thanks a lot for this new update!

Work like a charm!!!

All is perfect now, except now one small thing :
You wrote : "In vertex mode, if soft selection is not enabled, random vertex soft selection will be generated."

It would be possible to have this behavior disabled by default and enabled only with an option
(by a shortcut or (better) with a UI flag placed somewhere or with an option) ?

I ask this because now the random selection is wonderful, but if for example, I want to move ALL the random
selected vertices by an equal amount, the soft selection won't let me to do so.

P.S.
I sincerely appreciate all your work for all your updates of this past year and
if you will decide to request us an (honest) payment for the next major updates,
I will be very glad to pay for it.

Thanks for your professionalism and best wishes for all your life.

- Marco (mkdm)

« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 04:43:41 pm by mkdm »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 27, 2016, 12:59:55 pm
All is perfect now, except now one small thing :
You wrote : "In vertex mode, if soft selection is not enabled, random vertex soft selection will be generated."

It would be possible to have this behavior disabled by default and enabled only with an option
(by a shortcut or (better) with a UI flag placed somewhere or with an option) ?

I ask this because now the random selection is wonderful, but if for example, I want to move ALL the random
selected vertices by an equal amount, the soft selection won't let me to do so.

You can set the soft selection Falloff value to 0.
One extra option will make the UI more complicated.

• No avatar
  • Spline
December 27, 2016, 02:57:40 pm
Hi Istonia!

> You wrote : "You can set the soft selection Falloff value to 0.
One extra option will make the UI more complicated."

It worked!! Thanks a lot. Now random workflow is perfect for me!

Best.

- Marco (mkdm)