News:

Topic: Transform List  (Read 9893 times)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 28, 2012, 05:21:26 pm
Hi IStonia,

Would it be possible to add "Scale" (X/Y/Z/All) to the "Transform list"

Regards,

-Steve

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
August 28, 2012, 10:22:48 pm
What is the purpose of the scaling for?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 28, 2012, 10:31:49 pm
Hi IStonia,

Simple example.

I build an house with various sized window cutouts. Save window cutouts in transform list.
I can then import a window frame and align/scale window frame to any window cutout.

Regards,

-Steve

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
August 31, 2012, 11:39:39 am
done. But not exactly what you asked for. I think using transform list to do a task like this is no good way. For example, if it is a buiding with dozens of windows. So instead I create the 'Replace Objects' tool. It should be a better solution. It handles scale, instance and grouping issues.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 31, 2012, 05:01:21 pm
Hello IStonia,

I think using transform list to do a task like this is no good way.
Why? It is a "Transform" list, which currently only transforms location/rotation. Scaling is also a transform.
For example, if it is a buiding with dozens of windows.
I do not see that as a reason for it not to be added.

So instead I create the 'Replace Objects' tool. It should be a better solution.
Not really. There is a need (if it it for windows)to create new objects for the cutouts, then find and manage them in the scene explorer, rather than having a separate list (within the transform list).

It handles scale, instance and grouping issues.
There is no scaling made when using the "Replace objects" or "Replace objects by instance". It is just a location/orientation "Transform". Or is there another hidden option for scaling?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 02, 2012, 02:38:53 pm
So as the "Replace object" does not scale the object, I will request again that "Scale" is added to the transform list.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
September 02, 2012, 08:06:10 pm
Try this

1. Create a sphere and two cylinders.
2. Select one of the cylinders only.
3. In the 'Scene Explorer > Object List'. Set the x scale value to 0.5.
4. Select the two cylinders.
5. Move cursor over the shpere and execute the 'Replace Objects' command.

As you can see, an object contains position/rotation/scale informations and they are used in the 'Replace Objects' command.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 02, 2012, 08:12:25 pm
OK, so you are referring to scale value, so my mistake in my request. What I wanted, was for the object to change size to the transform it is moving to.

So say I have a window cutout of 10 x 10 x 10, and import a window 5 x 4 x 3, I can align the window to the cutout and have it re-size to the cutout.

I did not think a confusion on scale/size would be made, considering everything is at a scale of 1 when created.(such as different sized window cutouts are all going to be at a scale of 1)

Maybe I should of stated, scale to fit.

Thought I would highlight my original request, as I thought it did show I wanted a scale to fit.

I build an house with various sized window cutouts. Save window cutouts in transform list.
I can then import a window frame and align/scale window frame to any window cutout.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 08:19:36 pm by steve »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
September 02, 2012, 09:11:33 pm
So what you really want is to embed size to the tranform list item?

What if I create another 'Replace Objects(Fit to Size)'? For every window cut-out, you create a plane or box and tranform/scale it to fit the cut-out to serve as a place holder. Then you import a window mesh, select those place holders, execute this command. And later on you may need to change the window mesh to a different one...

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 02, 2012, 09:39:43 pm
How is the place-holder scaled to fit? Sounds like a need to scale the place-holder manually. I may as well simply scale the window and leave out the steps of creating place-holders first.

Never-mind. Forget about it.

I though the addition of scale/size to the Transform list would of been logical (and helpful), but keep adding new tools just makes the program more complex, with various tools doing almost the same thing.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
September 02, 2012, 09:53:23 pm
If you try to input scale/size values into transform list item, it will be more difficult and error prone.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 02, 2012, 10:08:55 pm
I do not understand that reasoning.

When you create a "Transform" item that is entered into the list, the location/orientation of current selection is stored. Why would also (at the same time) storing the x/y/z dimensions of current selection then cause errors?

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
September 02, 2012, 10:21:20 pm
I don't know what is the situation when you create the transform item. What is a cut-out? Is it a hole?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 02, 2012, 10:41:51 pm
If it is an hole or not is not relevant.

The Transform is based on current selection, so the sizes stored would be from that current selection. So in the case of a window cutout, I would be selecting the surrounding polygons of the cutout. Or, it could be an object selected, again its x/y/z sizes are stored (if for example I wanted to change a window for another)
With the current Transform list, it does not matter what is selected (polygons surrounding an hole, or an object etc), only the current location/orientation of current selection. You would be adding 3 dimensions to the list(x/y/z sizes) of that same current selection.

When then aligning an item to that transform, an option to change its x/y/z size, based on stored sizes.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 10:49:37 pm by steve »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
September 08, 2012, 10:23:11 am
Done.