News:

Topic: Mesh goes walkabout - Serious BUG.  (Read 2924 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
October 27, 2016, 02:16:44 pm
Hi, I've been experiencing a major bug in Nvil which has existed for quite a long time now.  It's hard to explain but I'll try my best.

Quite often while modelling fast and making lots of duplicated geometry parts and meshes floating around the scene I will occasionally go to move an object and it will relocate to a completely different part of the scene.  The position can sometimes be fixed by deselecting, re-selecting then trying to move the model which will snap back to it's intended position.

This seems like very weird behaviour and I have no idea what causes it.  Perhaps something to do with the pivot, or the underlying Bone, or a bug in the manipulator or something else.

I have worked around this bug for a long time by either saving often or just redoing the work but I just had an embarrassing episode where I was having a review with my art director and it happened on about 3 different occasions.  By this point he just said, why aren't you using a decent program like Maya (half jokingly)

I'd say at this point I'd like to escalate this bug to the Serious category.

Thank you kindly.

p.s. I think the reason I haven't posted about this bug before is because I've become accustomed to working around it but it's at a point now where I use Nvil for all my modelling tasks and it's become quite a hindrance.
Senior 3D Artist

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
October 27, 2016, 06:19:22 pm
Can you recreate the bug? How have you worked around it?

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
October 28, 2016, 08:21:37 am
The bug is hard to reproduce but I have a feeling it is related somehow to Undo. 

I wrote about how I workaround it here,
The position can sometimes be fixed by deselecting, re-selecting then trying to move the model which will snap back to it's intended position./quote]

If I get any time over the weekend I will try to pin down what causes it and post any findings.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 08:27:10 am by ghib »
Senior 3D Artist

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 28, 2016, 12:23:19 pm
Hi ghib,

Are you refering to where the mesh moves a long distance while translating.

I thought it was a bug I had reported, but cannot currently find the bug report.

IStonia,

Easiest way to reproduce:-
Default new scene. Create default Box. Change to mesh mode, select box mesh. Enable grid snapping. Move Box (with manipulator or any of move functions). If you move cursor too quickly, box will move thousands of units.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
October 28, 2016, 08:01:02 pm
Hey Steve, I'm not sure about that one but the two may be linked.

The behaviour I'm seeing seems more like it thinks the Object/mesh pivot actually belongs elsewhere on a different plane and doesn't just move along the axis handle you're manipulating.
 Switching manipulator orientation/position, or deselecting then reselecting and moving the geo again can 'sometimes' snap the model back to it's intended and original position.  Very odd behaviour and not always consistently occurring.

Istonia might need to look at the accuracy of his code for movement of geo/meshes closely.
Senior 3D Artist