News:

Topic: Rocket 3F  (Read 17713 times)

• No avatar
  • Triangle
    • Portfolio
March 23, 2017, 09:44:11 am
kenmo, you could actually customize the UI of Nvil to match Rocket3f. All the functionality is there, it just requires time to do.

I already have an established workflow which is why I do not use Rocket3f,  but then it was never intended for a user like myself.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
    • Kenmojr's Weblog
March 23, 2017, 02:47:33 pm
IMHO that is the biggest turn off for Nvil. Most people customize the UI after they are quite comfortable with the toolset. Nvil works in the reverse. You customize the toolset before you are comfortable in Nvil.

IMHO this is quite stupid and one of the biggest turnoffs with Nvil. The UI of Wings3D, Hexagon3D, Silo3D are so intuitive a newbie in 3D modeling is quite comfortable. In the past I tried Truepace, Blender and ZBrush and hated them very much because of the confusing interface. Nvil's UI is not much better.

Once you get used to it 3DCoat's UI is quite easy. I've tried Nvil and I have no idea of what tools are and where they are located. So I have no idea (and no interest) in customizing the UI.

Rocket 3F has a great UI. But because I'm not well versed in Nvil, I really don't know (other than UI) how they are different.

In Hexagon3D 2.5 I use the "extract" command quite a bit to extract a face. In Rocket 3F I can't seem to locate and I have no idea if it's in Nvil.

The UI of Nvil looks like it was designed by someone on LSD or drunk. The UI of Rocket 3F appears to be designed by a competent 3D modeller with the end user's experience in consideration....

Is there a comparision chart of what tools are available and not available in Rocket 3F vs Nvil?

Sorry if I seem cranky but as someone who works daily in computer network support for 30+ years), in my spare time I just want to create digital art and not pull my hair. I do enough of that fighting with Windows Server during the day....

Cheers

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
March 23, 2017, 09:25:58 pm
Well, I am not on LSD nor drunk. People can think and move in different ways. There has been so many Nvil users can figure it out how to use it themselves with little help. Even some of them are not very good in English.

I just give you some tips here and hope it will help.

--Most of the tools and options are located in
View > Customize > Tools.
Your can also access this tool by pressing down "End" key then open the top menu and click a tool.

--Those options that are not changed often are in
View > Customize > Preference.

--To customize steamline tools
View > Customize > StreamLine Tools.

--To Customize radial menus
View > Customize > Radial menus.

--To search for a tool
View > Window > Tool Search Window.
Input the key word like "Extrude" and you will get a list of related tools. Hover cursor over a tool and the tool's description will appear on top of the window. You can left click to fire the tool. You can also right click the tool to bring up a context menu which provides options you can do on this tool.

--A few tools can only be accessed in top menus. like this one
View > Top Menu Visible Hotkey

• No avatar
  • Triangle
    • Portfolio
March 23, 2017, 09:27:04 pm
Rocket is impossible to customize any settings, hotkey or streamline tools.  Preferances are hidden, and creating custom tools is hidden.

The fastest way to learn Nvil is to make tool search visible, it works in realtime and you can pin any button in the search.

Streamline tools, always have a popup explaining what mouse button does what.

So if you want to extrude, just search window.  Same goes for bevel, chamfer, etc etc. Eventually you make hotkeys or custom windows.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
    • Kenmojr's Weblog
March 24, 2017, 02:54:53 am
I'll ask a second time...

"Is there a comparision chart of what tools are available and not available in Rocket 3F vs Nvil?"

If I'm going to pay close to $100 Canadian for NVil and I must customize the UI because I find the stock UI confusing, a better option would be to use Blender3D. The UI is a mess but a least there are lots of tutorials available. And I'm not paying $100 to fight with an UI I dislike.

And I am NOT interested in customizing an UI. I simply want one that is simple and easy to use. Nvil's is not. It's a mess. Rocket 3F is very easy to use.

So is there a comparision chart of what tools are available and not available in Rocket 3F vs Nvil? I think this is an honest question and deserves to be answered.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
March 24, 2017, 03:00:51 am
There is no such chart.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
    • Kenmojr's Weblog
March 24, 2017, 03:08:07 am
That should be a prerequisite to assist people in purchasing the right tool. Also an upgrade price from Rocket 3F to NVil should be mandatory if Rocket 3F is missing features or tools of NVil.

Until a comparison chart is available what are the differences between the two and please no catchy marketing response that Rocket 3F is aimed at artists and Nvil is for pro 3D modelers. What are the differences?

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
March 24, 2017, 03:37:12 am
Don't think you are talking to a big company with rich human resources. I am the only developer here and I work on this project in my spare time. There are hundreds of tools and options. I don't think it is practical to create a difference chart between the two versions.

Rocket 3F is a special version of Nvil. It is customized in a way that the customizer thinks it is the best organizing base on his modeling knowledge and experience. Basically Rocket is not customizable. So it is only suitable for people who find it easy to adapt to its fixed workflow.

• No avatar
  • Triangle
    • Portfolio
March 24, 2017, 08:48:57 am
Try my customized theme:

http://samardac.com/nvil-forum/index.php/topic,2236.msg7072.html#msg7072

For $100 you are getting a competitive modeling app that despite the ui,  has a faster workflow then apps that cost you hundreds,  per month to rent.

Istonia has faithfully kept Nvil updated over the years, to make sure it has not become dated. Getting monthly updates actually makes the app quite cutting edge.

Nvil has a small user base, so tutorials are lacking, but a lot of the success of the app is base on this community.

First step to learning Nvil is using the Tool Search, and hotkeys and not depend on the drop down menues.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
    • Kenmojr's Weblog
March 24, 2017, 11:16:16 am
So both have the same features and tool sets? The only difference is Rocket 3F has non customizable UI?

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
March 24, 2017, 11:31:56 am
I can't say yes or no. In Rocket 3F, some features are not exposed to users. The purpose is to make its UI simple but good enough. The amount of tools in NVil is huge. Some tools are for special needs, for example the manual normal tools and vertex color tools, some people may never have the need to use them.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
    • Kenmojr's Weblog
March 24, 2017, 11:34:33 am
Can't say yes or no? But you are the developer of both. If you don't know, than who does?

Not trying to be rude, just confused...And I don't understand your vague responses.

I also realize this is a small venture not unlike Darrell Anderson's Groboto3D which recently halted due to his bout with cancer.

IMHO you are doing a great diservice to Nvil by not spending a bit of time on polishing the UI. The tutorials I was looking for would be more specific to the Nvil (navigating, tools, tips, ect) than modeling. Once confortable with the tools I suspect tutorials for Wings3D, Hexagon, Silo would be useful to a Nvil user.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
March 24, 2017, 11:48:21 am
Behind the UI, yes they have the same toolsets. But Rocket 3F hides some tools so user can not access them through its UI. That's why I can't say yes.

Nvil's default navigation is the same as Silo. Alt + LMB = Rotate, Alt + MMB = Pan, Alt + RMB = Zoom. I have shown you where and how you can find tools in my previous posts.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
    • Kenmojr's Weblog
March 24, 2017, 02:35:36 pm
Sorry but I won't belabor this point any longer as I'm sure both of us have better things to attend to. However I am quite confused why you will not give a reply to an honest question. I'm sure I'm not the only potential "customer" who would like to know what the differences are between your two products...

Cheers

Ken

• No avatar
  • Vertex
    • Kenmojr's Weblog
March 29, 2017, 02:31:00 am
Is the Rocket3F website down? I have not been able to reach all day....