News:

Topic: Basic hierarchy in object list  (Read 29886 times)

• Administrator
  • Polygon
    • http://samardac.com/
October 04, 2015, 11:03:46 am
Shift/Ctrl+LMB click is used for individual node selection. The two operations can not be mixed. So can't use LMB for range selection

Istonia, why not make it work like standart operations with files and trees works in windows, i mean if you use shift you can select range, if you use ctrl you can selec/deselect multiple oneby one. If we will have standart behaviour it will be much easer get into it. You can check how standart windows behaviour works by open windows explorer and try to select or deselect files using shift/ctrl.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 11:05:41 am by samardac »
Portfolio: www.samardac.com

• Administrator
  • Polygon
October 04, 2015, 06:13:36 pm
I meant make selection in tree like in windows standard selection operations LMB+Shift and CTRL. Try In windows explorer.

• Polygon
October 05, 2015, 11:04:29 am
I meant make selection in tree like in windows standard selection operations LMB+Shift and CTRL. Try In windows explorer.

Yep, making it work like the majority of windows programs would be the easiest to learn and remember.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
October 05, 2015, 11:31:36 am

Does it have range deselect?

• Administrator
  • Polygon
October 05, 2015, 12:20:39 pm
IStonia,
Yes, you can just LMB click on any object and it will deselect full range. Or you can use Shift/Ctrl to modify range selection.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
October 05, 2015, 12:33:07 pm

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
October 05, 2015, 05:55:02 pm
IStonia,
Yes, you can just LMB click on any object and it will deselect full range. Or you can use Shift/Ctrl to modify range selection.

How can I select A-Z then deselect D-M?

• Administrator
  • Polygon
October 05, 2015, 07:05:46 pm
select A-Z:
1. LMB, Click A
2. SHIFT + LMB, Click Z

deselect D-M
1. CTRL + LMB, Click D
2. CTRL + SHIFT + LMB, Click M

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 05, 2015, 10:24:28 pm
Thanks, got everything.

The range selecting works fine for me. Have you used RMB click?
Can you make it to works with LMB?

Why we need that check boxes? Looks like we can work without them, selected objects change their color so may be you can remove them?
Yeah, I agree. LMB would be more intuitive IMHO. That's how it works in Maya. You LMB drag to select a range and CTRL+LMB (If I remember correctly) to select additional range. You use MMB to drag selection to a parent or to put it on a different position in the hierarchy (when sorting is turned off).

Shift/Ctrl+LMB click is used for individual node selection. The two operations can not be mixed. So can't use LMB for range selection.
Can you make LMB+drag for range selection, SHIFT+LMB+drag for selection of additional ranges and CTRL+LMB drag for deselecting ranges? There's no reason for distinguishing between range and single element selections and creating separate shortcuts for them because single element selection is basically range selection from element k to element k.

Does it have range deselect?
IStonia,
You can't have multiple range selections in Windows Explorer unless you want to experience a CTRL+LMB clickfest or divide selection into multiple actions. Okay, I don't know what changes to Explorer were introduced in Windows 8.x and 10, but in 7 it is simply not possible. That's why the current selection system in NVil's hierarchy editor is superior (and Maya's Outliner selection system in general).

And speaking of range selection of multiple elements, I have noticed that when you drag your mouse down towards the bottom of the hierarchy window it does not automatically scroll down allowing you to select more items. And believe me, it really needs to scroll down automatically to allow for selection of more objects without forcing the user to release the mouse button and manually scroll the window. Otherwise this form of selection wouldn't make any sense and we can go back to Windows Explorer's type of selection. :)

Also, there's a very simple tweak you might do to the hierarchy window that would enhance the user experience. Currently when you drag the mouse to make the range selection, each object selected in the hierarchy tree immediately gets selected in the viewport. This is unnecessary as it slows down the selection process and sometimes makes the range selection to miss some more complex objects if it's performed too quickly. My advice is to not select items in the viewport until the mouse button is released. And once it is released, check the tree for selected objects and feed them to a function managing the actual selection of objects in the viewport.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
October 06, 2015, 06:20:43 am
I think we have to choose windows stndart selection method because it is universal standart that practically everybody knows who more, who less.

Also have idea to use rectangle selection for range selection/deselection. So you will use shift/ctrl and rectangle selection for ranges selection/deselection modifying. May be it will be more intuitive.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 06:22:59 am by samardac »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
October 06, 2015, 10:21:52 am
Try this and see if it works in the same way as window explorer.
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Oct-06-15.rar

For subobject groups, Shift and Ctrl+Shif work the same. Because subobject groups may overlap each other. In this case, the different orders of include and exclude operations will have different results, thus unpredictable.

Nothing appears on a separate Scene Hierarchy window. But at the same time nothing ever appeared on a separate Object List window too. At least on my config.

you missed these options
Edit > Preference > Options > Keep scene hierarchy in scene explorer...

• Administrator
  • Polygon
October 06, 2015, 12:44:36 pm
Looks like selection works good, but I have some questions.
Color of selection range is dark green, but I think it must be standard blue, we have this color when we select one object in tree, it has  blue background.

And I still have check boxes.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 06, 2015, 08:48:27 pm
you missed these options
Edit > Preference > Options > Keep scene hierarchy in scene explorer...
Perfect. That did the trick. Thanks.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 06, 2015, 08:53:54 pm
Looks like selection works good, but I have some questions.
Color of selection range is dark green, but I think it must be standard blue, we have this color when we select one object in tree, it has  blue background.

And I still have check boxes.
I have green selection colour and checkboxes too.

• Polygon
October 07, 2015, 07:25:21 am
Istonia

Works really well. Only minor thing I have noticed is the SHIFT + LMB Select doesn't select objects that are child objects of other objects. You have to use CTL+LMB Select to select the child.

However "Heirarchic transform enabled" still work nicely with parent only selected. That is a great feature by the way.

I am also getting checkboxes again and green object highlighting.