News:

Topic: Basic hierarchy in object list  (Read 29823 times)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
September 30, 2015, 08:07:33 am
Try this. You should be able to unfreeze in Scene Explorer.
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Sep-30-15.rar

Can you show me the construction list of that composite tool?

• Polygon
September 30, 2015, 09:12:28 am
Seems to be working really well now, thanks !

Here is unfreeze_all_objects. It is probably a composite tool that Andrei created.

What tool should I use for unfreeze all objects, there doesn't appear to be one in Nvil ?

« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 09:16:07 am by kevjon »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
September 30, 2015, 10:02:48 am
The Unfreeze/Freeze tool in the composite tool is used to work on meshes on an object. It is on mesh level, not object level. Mesh freeze and object freeze are different things.

To Unfreeze all objects, right click the Hierarchy top node in Scene Explorer and use the menu. There is no object Freeze/Unfreeze command implemented.

• Polygon
September 30, 2015, 11:29:56 am
Ok, thanks.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 30, 2015, 12:15:43 pm
The hierarchy node sorting follows the sorting pattern set in Object List.

1. Option "Edit > Preference > Options > Synchronize Object/Hierarchy-Node Selection" is added. The control hosting the Object List does not have the ability to deal with hierarchy stuff.

5. Option "Hierarchic transform enabled" is added. It is used to transform the whole hierarchy starting from the selected node with the pivot provided by the selected node which could be either group or object pivot. This option should be unchecked if not used because it disables the transform options. There is a related option "Edit > Options > Group Pivot Goes with Objects". To transform group pivot separately, use the "Group Pivot" streamline tool.
Oh yes, this is so much better! :) Thank you!

• Administrator
  • Polygon
    • http://samardac.com/
September 30, 2015, 04:56:11 pm
IStonia, may be you will add Scene hierarchy to new window? Now it is fully independent feature, it can have very large tree and if you need some groups you have to always go to the end. So will be nice to have one window for groups one for hierarchy. Now looks like Object list will be not used anymore.

Also now you have to select one by one objects in tree so will be good to press shift than first and last object to select everything betwen them.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 04:58:04 pm by samardac »
Portfolio: www.samardac.com

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 30, 2015, 09:01:22 pm
Also now you have to select one by one objects in tree so will be good to press shift than first and last object to select everything betwen them.
You can select multiple objects by holding SHIFT and LMB-mouse dragging. To deselect, hold CTRL and LMB-drag.

• No avatar
  • Spline
October 02, 2015, 03:30:10 pm
Could someone please help me understand the new hierarchy interface?
I'm not used to creating big scenes with meshes, therefore I also don't have very detailed background on how Maya and the like handle object hierarchies. But I do knnow what parenting is. What I now see in the Scene Explorer lets me make a cube the child of another one – in the Outliner –  but I don't see anything I would expect happening in the viewport. I'd expect the child to follow the parent as soon as it is moved, but that isn't the case and maybe even not intended. Could someone please share a simple sample scene to let me (and probably others) understand the concept? Thanks!

• No avatar
  • Triangle
    • Portfolio
October 03, 2015, 09:52:15 am
question:

how can we move the pivot of the parent? 

request:

when selecting the parent in viewport,  child is included in selection.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 10:01:03 am by Mason »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
October 03, 2015, 02:19:15 pm
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Oct-03-15.rar

* Hierarchy is moved to its own tree view. It can be moved to its own window, Edit > Preference > Options > Keep scene hierarchy in scene explorer. View > Windows > Scene Hierarchy Window. I didn't check every thing. It might be buggy.

* To select/deselect range, Shift/Ctrl+RMB to click the two nodes.

question:

how can we move the pivot of the parent? 

Do you mean the group pivot?
There are two methods
1. Use the "Group Pivot" streamline tool as I have stated in my previous post.
2. Move its children to other place. Select the group node in object mode. Make sure  "Hierarchic transform enabled" is on. Now you can transform the group pivot in viewport. Once done, move its children back.

request:

when selecting the parent in viewport,  child is included in selection.

There are times you don't want to include children in selection.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 02:21:49 pm by IStonia »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 03, 2015, 04:51:37 pm
Nothing appears on a separate Scene Hierarchy window. But at the same time nothing ever appeared on a separate Object List window too. At least on my config.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
October 03, 2015, 05:27:04 pm
rubberDuck, everything is working good here.
Thanks IStonia this tree is awesome!
How does it works - Constrai operation within one level only?

How does it works? I can not select Range.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 05:30:43 pm by samardac »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
October 03, 2015, 08:20:57 pm
rubberDuck, everything is working good here.
Thanks IStonia this tree is awesome!
How does it works - Constrai operation within one level only?

How does it works? I can not select Range.

The constraint depends on the selected node. If it is a group node, it works on its direct children only. If it is a object node. It works only on the object. You can test this with MMB to toggle object hidden.

The range selecting works fine for me. Have you used RMB click? You need to have the two nodes have the same parent node.

Nothing appears on a separate Scene Hierarchy window. But at the same time nothing ever appeared on a separate Object List window too. At least on my config.

Can you send me your config?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 08:31:15 pm by IStonia »

• Administrator
  • Polygon
October 04, 2015, 06:13:53 am
Thanks, got everything.

The range selecting works fine for me. Have you used RMB click?
Can you make it to works with LMB?

Why we need that check boxes? Looks like we can work without them, selected objects change their color so may be you can remove them?

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
October 04, 2015, 10:26:54 am
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Oct-04-15.rar

Check boxes in tree view are removed. Node checked state is now represented by its back color.

Thanks, got everything.

The range selecting works fine for me. Have you used RMB click?
Can you make it to works with LMB?

Why we need that check boxes? Looks like we can work without them, selected objects change their color so may be you can remove them?

Shift/Ctrl+LMB click is used for individual node selection. The two operations can not be mixed. So can't use LMB for range selection.

For hidden/freeze objects, their icon do not change when checked.