News:

Topic: Fix unwanted hard edges.  (Read 5035 times)

• Administrator
  • Polygon
    • http://samardac.com/
August 31, 2015, 06:30:12 am
Hi Istonia,
Now there is some tools like boolean or some times extrude and some others that creates unwanted hard edges when you work. To fix it after that edges appears I use Auto-smooth to eliminate them when working with Hard Edge Flag objects and Set Object Organic Flag when working with Organic objects.
My request is can you make tool that will works on both objects eliminating that unwanted hard edges?
On hard edges object it will perform Auto-Smooth on Organic objects it will Smooth-all.
If you select both it will treat them both.

Portfolio: www.samardac.com

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 31, 2015, 07:22:04 am
Rather than requesting a new tool, create a composite tool that will do what you want.

Simple example attached:-
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 07:25:32 am by steve »

• Administrator
  • Polygon
August 31, 2015, 10:03:06 am
steve,
It is not good solution, because if you set manually some edges to hard/soft flag, your script will reset them all. Also this script has some more disadvantages I did not dig into them.

We need it to work like this:

If (object is Hard Flag Object)
    P_AutoSmooth (145;false;true)
Else
    P_AutoSmooth (0;true;true)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 10:07:28 am by samardac »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 31, 2015, 10:58:38 am
That composite was a simple example. Did you try and create a composite tool for what you want?

The main issue here, is that not only has the implimentation of "Organic" objects added more complexity (and confusion) for users, but also that it is not implimented correctly/fully.

Maybe rather than requesting more tools to correct issues, the actual issues should be resolved.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
August 31, 2015, 12:01:44 pm
I think there is no way to make it with composite tool, because we need scripting language to implement IF ELSE statement.

"Organic" objects added more complexity (and confusion) for users
I work with this still it appears, no any confusion just advantages very simple and there are no any problems. I think this feature is unique feature of NVil that no other apps have.

I can now implement what I want but with 2 shortcuts but I asked for universal command for 2 modes organic and hard. 

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 31, 2015, 12:39:14 pm
I work with this still it appears, no any confusion just advantages very simple and there are no any problems. I think this feature is unique feature of NVil that no other apps have.
Well, it confuses me, and will confuse new users. The fact that this does not appear in other applications will also cause confusion to anyone possibly looking at changing over to Nvil.

We now have organic and non-organic objects. How do you select all organic objects in scene? How can you tell them apart?
What about hard/soft flagged edges, how do you select them? Which hard_edge is flagged as hard and which is not?

We have "Hard edge threshold angle" and "organic objects" both options are supposed to stop hard_edges being created, niether option works correctly/fully.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
August 31, 2015, 01:03:49 pm

The fact that this does not appear in other applications will also cause confusion to anyone possibly looking at changing over to Nvil.
So if we can make something better than other apps have, we have not to do it because they have not this? Where is logic?

How do you select all organic objects in scene?
Why you need it? I work a lot with organic objects and nether wanted to select them. For what?
Treat them like ordinary object if you want to group them use groups.

What about hard/soft flagged edges, how do you select them?
Yo can select harden edges using - Select Creased/Harden/Soften eges.
I use it when I want to convert Harden edges to creased. I never wanted to select soften edges for what? 

Which hard_edge is flagged as hard and which is not?
You can see it clearly with color. No problem at all. If color indicate that edge is harden or soften, if it soft it soften if it hard it is harden. Very simple.

We have "Hard edge threshold angle" and "organic objects" both options are supposed to stop hard_edges being created, niether option works correctly/fully.
It work good here, it creates hard edges on Hard edge objects and do not create them on Organic objects.

The reason we have 2 kind of objects is very simple Idea - we do not need hard edges on organic objects. So why we have to deal with them if we work with organic object? Why we need to spend our time fixing them? We just do not have them at all!
I think it is great idea that work really great!
And at this moment I have only one problem with this conception - it is unwanted hard edges that appears sometime, but it is not very big problem you can solve it in second.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 01:07:29 pm by samardac »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 31, 2015, 01:50:37 pm
The reason we have 2 kind of objects is very simple Idea - we do not need hard edges on organic objects. So why we have to deal with them if we work with organic object? Why we need to spend our time fixing them? We just do not have them at all!

The main reason "Organic" object where needed is due to the fact Istonia/Nvil insisted on automatically adding smooth_groups/Hard_edges to objects.
It would of been much better (IMO) to not automatically add smooth_groups/hard_edges, as with the other applications I have used.

Hard_edges/smooth_groups are something that should only be added by user, not automatically by application.

How many tools have now been added due to "Organic objects"?, how many more will be added?

You say it is a good idea for "Organic objects", I think it a bad idea as they should not of been needed.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
August 31, 2015, 02:14:27 pm
It would of been much better (IMO) to not automatically add smooth_groups/hard_edges, as with the other applications I have used.
Automatic adding of hard edges save our time, also it automatically creates great shading where hard edges are visible and has it own color. I see only advantages.
And when I work I never think about all that stuff my workflow is super simple I'd said primitive. It allows me concentrate only on creative part of work. I never follow complicated workflows so I can say for sure all that stuff that is become with NVil now turn it into super fast and simple tool. We can discuss all that complicated stuff here but when you start to work you will never think about all that things...

How many tools have now been added due to "Organic objects"?
Looks like it is second after Sharp edges options for organic Objects was added.
But these are tools that you set once and forget about them forever. But workflow become really great!

You say it is a good idea for "Organic objects", I think it a bad idea as they should not of been needed.
It is your opinion, may be you do not understand fully current workflow. Looks like for you it seems too complicated. But in fact it is so simple as it can be.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 31, 2015, 02:50:55 pm
I know you will always state it was a good idea for "Organic objects", well you would, it was your idea. But even so, you said at the time when you made request:-

I continue to think about it and can not understand if it is good idea. Now I think without it NVil more simple and you can Smooth any harden edges at any time if do not need it, so what is benefit of this Object Type conception I can not clearly see.

There is no benefit, only extra complexity.

I do not want more and more options/tools and more complexity. I want simplification to try and get more new users.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
August 31, 2015, 03:04:46 pm
Yes I said so because I really did not know if it would be good idea. But IStonia made it, and it allows me to test it, and now I always work with this.
For me no reason to say that it is good if it is not.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
August 31, 2015, 03:17:24 pm
I really can not understand why it is complicated?
We have only 2 commands to handle objects:
1. Hard edge object Flag
2. Organic object Flag

Some time we need to use:
3. Universal Autosmooth (I hope IStonia will make it)

And basically it is all! What is more?

If we work with hard edges we have some special commands for this that gives us a lot of opportunities.

And that is all! Where it is complicated :) ?

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
September 01, 2015, 10:16:59 am
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Sep-01-15.rar

P_AutoSmooth will smooth all on organic object no mater what the angle value is.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
September 01, 2015, 10:27:46 am
Hay IStonia,
Just tested it, looks like there is some problem, check this project. It has organic object that has unwanted  hard edges that appears after Boolean, I run P_Autosmooth but they still here.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
September 01, 2015, 11:00:13 am
I have renewed the file. Please test again.