News:

Topic: A simple settings editor for basically everything  (Read 5089 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
May 09, 2015, 12:13:21 pm
As great as it is that Nvil offers so many options and continuously gets new possibilities added...
All these settings are distributed to many places in the GUI, there's Preferences, Options and many other areas where one tweaks global program behaviors. What may have been sufficient in the beginning has become difficult to manage. Just today I needed to search in several places where the diesplay of pivots in the Viewports is set...

Couldn't one consolidate all these Editors in am interface which is simpler to manage (for IStonia) and which is more suitable for further growth?
I'm thinking of something similar to the lists, which are also used for Tools customization, a very reduced GUI which allows for setting values in xml files. If every global preference got stored here and the document had some categories and was searchable everybody here should come along.

• No avatar
  • Spline
May 10, 2015, 09:28:12 am
This is how a similar implementation looks elsewhere. If there's more than two option, so that one could not come along with True/False one might be able to use numbers.

• Polygon
May 10, 2015, 11:23:05 pm
Something like this would be great in Nvil. Just one place to customise everything.

Just yesterday, I had to go to the menus to create my first composite tool. Then I had a really hard time trying to find out how I edit that composite tool. It was in a totally different place in the interface.

• No avatar
  • Spline
May 11, 2015, 06:44:57 am
Just to clarify: I only thought of global program settings, not of the customization options in terms of Hotkeys, Radial Menu and Streamline Tools. I guess leaven these already long lists separate made sense as one can also drag and drop between these lists – here those who have fully understood how this all hangs together had to chime in...

• No avatar
  • Polygon
May 11, 2015, 01:27:46 pm
Hi Keyjon,

Just yesterday, I had to go to the menus to create my first composite tool. Then I had a really hard time trying to find out how I edit that composite tool. It was in a totally different place in the interface.

If you need to edit a composite tool, press(hold down) "End" key, go to composite tools drop down menu, and LMB on tool. The "Customize Tools" window will open with the composite tool selected. You can then RMB on composite tool and edit.

Using the "End" key can be used on any of the drop down menu. Press(hold down) "End" key, and select any menu entry. If there is a tool entry for that command, if will cause tools window to show with that tool selected. If there is not a tool entry, you will get popup window with "There is no shortcut tool for this menu item"

• No avatar
  • Polygon
May 11, 2015, 01:32:21 pm
All these settings are distributed to many places in the GUI, there's Preferences, Options and many other areas where one tweaks global program behaviors. What may have been sufficient in the beginning has become difficult to manage.

I have to agree.

I know it would be a large task for IStonia, but I can see that this will need to be done sooner rather than later.(IMHO)