News:

Topic: Object Selection Highlight  (Read 7195 times)

• Polygon
May 09, 2015, 08:17:26 am
Hi Istonia

When working on complex scenes with lots of meshes I'm finding it difficult to determine which mesh I have selected in "object mode" because it does not highlight. The manipulator clue does not help much in complex scenes.

Is it possible the edges of the object could highlight the selection colour when it is selected in "object" mode ?

Finding objects in the object list is problematic on complex scenes as there a lot of meshes so it is easier to select them in the viewport.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
May 09, 2015, 09:49:14 am
Hi Kevyon,

I agree that there needs to be some way to indicate current selected object. It has been requested numerous times. But changing selected objects edge color would cause conflict, for example, with hard/soft edge color (how would you know if selected objects edges are hard/soft if color is now changed?)

• Polygon
May 09, 2015, 10:08:39 am
Hi Steve,

When you go into subobject mode the highlight would be released and it reverts to its normal colours.

Also if you unselect the object it would revert to normal colours.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
May 09, 2015, 10:25:29 am
There are Active1, Active2 and Inactive colors for selected and unselected object, Edit > Preference > Colors > Edge Colors.

To switch Selection edge color between Active1 and Active2, View > Object Shading > Toggle Edge Color.

If you turn on View > Object Shading > Show Hard Edge Color, and all the edges of the object are all hard edges, it would not be able to tell the difference as they all appear in hard edge color. But it is rare that all edges are hard edges.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
May 09, 2015, 10:50:07 am
If you turn on View > Object Shading > Show Hard Edge Color, and all the edges of the object are all hard edges, it would not be able to tell the difference as they all appear in hard edge color. But it is rare that all edges are hard edges.

In earlier builds, I could easily see what was selected or not, as Hard_edge colors would show only on selected object. But you changed that, so now all object show hard_edge color(when enabled). I did put forward that the change would kill my workflow, but you changed anyway with no option to change back. That is why I still use earlier build before change made.

I would disable "Show hard_edge color" but Nvil continuously automatically adds Hard_edges in an unpredicable way, so having that option enable is a necessity.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
    • http://samardac.com/
May 09, 2015, 11:24:18 am
I offer to highlight selected objects by highlighting all their polygons.
Like this:

I think it would be the best solution.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 11:31:53 am by samardac »
Portfolio: www.samardac.com

• Polygon
May 09, 2015, 11:55:36 am
Yep, highlighting all the polys would even better than what I suggested, but I would accept edges if it easier to program.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
May 09, 2015, 11:58:01 am
Now edges already working.
In my config selected object have blue edges.
But if it has only hard edges you can not see if it is selected, this is only problem.
So that is why I suggested Highlight all polygons and make for this special color.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
May 09, 2015, 12:05:11 pm
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-May-12-15.rar

* Edit > Preference > Colors > Form Color Scheme > Viewport Border.
  * View > Object Shading > Show Hard Edges On Unselected. By default, it is off. samardac, you need to turn it on in your config.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
May 09, 2015, 12:16:09 pm
IStonia, just wanted to ask it is complicated to highlight all polygons on selected object?

• Polygon
May 09, 2015, 12:18:44 pm
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-May-12-15.rar

* View > Object Shading > Show Hard Edges On Unselected. By default, it is off. samardac, you need to turn it on in your config.

Thanks Istonia, that helps. I still like Andrei suggestion though of highlighting all polys.

Being able to change the viewport colour also allows me to make my interface a tad nicer.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
May 09, 2015, 12:21:56 pm
Thanks Istonia, that helps.
I preffer not to use it because personaly for me more important to see model in best way with hard edges, instead of see wat is selected. So I prefer not to hide hard edges on unselected because I loose visual representation of model.

• Polygon
May 09, 2015, 01:13:04 pm
Well thats why he included the option, to keep everybody happy  ;)

• No avatar
  • Triangle
    • Portfolio
May 10, 2015, 07:42:53 am
There is an option to highlight edges on selected only which is just fine.  Highlighting polys is a bad idea though because it interferes with the shading when user needs to check for shading errors And its uncomfortable to model on highlighted object.

A pretty cool option is to outline the object profile of selection like in Mari or Max 2016.

• Polygon
May 10, 2015, 11:18:57 pm
Highlighting polys is a bad idea though because it interferes with the shading when user needs to check for shading errors And its uncomfortable to model on highlighted object.

The idea is that when you go from selected object mode to subobject mode the highlighted shading would be dropped and it would revert to its normal colours. It would have no effect on modeling.

The existing highlighted edges is hard to see on small parts of a model, especially due to the black hard edge shading.