News:

Topic: Insert n-number of edge loops and slide?  (Read 5311 times)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 06, 2015, 04:44:34 pm
Hello.
I'm looking for a tool that would allow me to insert n-number of edge loops and then proportionally slide them either inwards or outwards. Is there something like this in NVil?

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
February 06, 2015, 09:08:22 pm
I don't think there is any tool like that.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 06, 2015, 10:40:37 pm
Okay, I spent some time browsing through the toolset and there are two tools that allow to accomplish this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3v4n8lm8b3342o/insert_n-loops_and_slide.mp4?dl=1
I used "Loop/Cut Slide Edges" to insert 4 edges, then I manually selected edge rings between them and slid them outwards with "Subobject Tools->Local Scale_Selection".

What worries me though, is that while in this simple example the ring selection is quick, with more complex topologies it could take a long time.
Is it possible to easily convert the selection of loops to rings that are between them?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 06, 2015, 11:06:50 pm
Hi rubberDuck,

As a workaround, try a streamline tool (see attached pic):-

With this tool, you first select an edge_ring or face_loop. Call the tool(hotkey), RMB+drag and use mouse wheel to increase/decrease loop_cut number.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
February 06, 2015, 11:20:59 pm
Selection > Stride Ring Grow > Ring Grow Full > Stride1.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
February 06, 2015, 11:23:32 pm
To Select an edge ring, double MMB click the edge.

Have you ever read this article, Help > Contents > Modeling > Selection Tools?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 06, 2015, 11:59:20 pm
That's it Steve! Many thanks! I'd have never thought of using this combination of tools.

The only thing I'm missing now is being able to type in numerical values, or reapply last used values to other areas of the model. Repeat Last Command doesn't work in this case as it looks like it only repeats a cut from the Context Cut_SNE.

To Select an edge ring, double MMB click the edge.
Have you ever read this article, Help > Contents > Modeling > Selection Tools?
Selection > Stride Ring Grow > Ring Grow Full > Stride1.
Ah yes, I'm sorry, IStonia. I wasn't focused. I'm working on like three different things at the same time. Yes, I read it and I'm aware of MMB ring selection. It's just it slipped my mind.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 07, 2015, 12:42:20 am
The only thing I'm missing now is being able to type in numerical values, or reapply last used values to other areas of the model.

With that streamline tool, after activation, rather than RMB+drag, simply RMB-click. That will reapply last used values for chamfer tool.

For typing in numerical value for a streamline tool. Set the streamline tool to "Allow tapped to stay live"
You can then >> Press hotkey(for that tool)+ tap "Home" key, to bring up options window, you will need to apply(in popup options window) and press hotkey again to exit tool. But the tool should work as it did before if "Home" is not pressed.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 01:00:31 am by steve »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 07, 2015, 01:52:46 am
The only thing I'm missing now is being able to type in numerical values, or reapply last used values to other areas of the model.

With that streamline tool, after activation, rather than RMB+drag, simply RMB-click. That will reapply last used values for chamfer tool.
It works!

For typing in numerical value for a streamline tool. Set the streamline tool to "Allow tapped to stay live"
You can then >> Press hotkey(for that tool)+ tap "Home" key, to bring up options window, you will need to apply(in popup options window) and press hotkey again to exit tool. But the tool should work as it did before if "Home" is not pressed.
Is it possible to remap a hotkey of this "Home-key command" (I'm not sure how it's called)?

Thanks!

PS. When setting up a hotkey for this streamline tool I noticed a problem:
I chose CTRL+C for the tool and when I held it and tapped Home key, the Edge_Chamfer_ChopOff# window appeared, but it kept disappearing the moment I released the hotkey, and with hotkey depressed I couldn't type any values.
When I mapped the hotkey to some other combination (without CTRL), the window stayed on screen. Probably a conflict with Tweak tool which I have mapped to CTRL key, but it's strange that key combinations with CTRL invoke a tool mapped to CTRL itself.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 07, 2015, 02:22:04 am
Hi rubberDuck,

Does it help if you press "Home" after you press(hold down) Mouse button (and have released tool hotkey)?

You could always set one of the "Event Actions" in the streamline tool to "Edge Shortcut tools >> Chamfer".

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
February 07, 2015, 11:47:52 am
Edge mode > Geometry > Loop Insert

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 07, 2015, 04:29:50 pm
Hi rubberDuck,

PS. When setting up a hotkey for this streamline tool I noticed a problem:
I chose CTRL+C for the tool and when I held it and tapped Home key, the Edge_Chamfer_ChopOff# window appeared, but it kept disappearing the moment I released the hotkey, and with hotkey depressed I couldn't type any values.
When I mapped the hotkey to some other combination (without CTRL), the window stayed on screen. Probably a conflict with Tweak tool which I have mapped to CTRL key, but it's strange that key combinations with CTRL invoke a tool mapped to CTRL itself.

I have been looking at that. I think the function ("Home" key) of bringing up options during streamline tool use is broken.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 08, 2015, 02:59:59 pm
Hi IStonia. Thank you, but the tool doesn't handle edge sliding after their creation.
There's however another basic streamline tool that I found yesterday, called "Edge Tools  >>  Edge_DoubleLoop_Cut/Slide", which is great for what I need. And what I need are faster means of inserting and, immediately after, sliding supporting edge loops.
Edge_DoubleLoop_Cut/Slide however doesn't allow for inserting more than two loops. Steve's streamline tool in "Chop off corners" mode let's me do what the DoubleLoop does, plus add more loops when I roll the mouse wheel. Its only drawback is that ring selection is mandatory, when in case of Edge_DoubleLoop_Cut/Slide - it's optional.

Hi rubberDuck,
I have been looking at that. I think the function ("Home" key) of bringing up options during streamline tool use is broken.
So it isn't a hotkey conflict in my configuration?

---
I've noticed another strange thing.
For example, if I define the following streamline tool:
LMB: Edge Tools  >>  Edge_Loop_Cut/Slide#
MMB: Edge Tools  >>  Edge_Loop_Cut/Slide_EdgeMidPoint#
RMB: Edge Tools  >>  Edge_Loop_Cut/Slide_FixedLength#

Then whenever I click the LMB button, a window Edge_Loop_Cut/Slide window pops out. This is very handy, because f.e. I can click outside of my geometry first and select "Use Last Value" or "Maintain Curvature".
On my laptop however, to which I copied the "%APPDATA%/Digitalfossils" directory, this does not happen. I'm unable to call this window in the same way.

Same thing happens to other tools that use these windows, like your Streamline tool that you posted here, Steve. On my workstation, if I RMB click-and-hold, the "Edge_Chamfer" window shows up and I can select some options. This does not happen on my laptop.

The laptop is 32-bit, the workstation 64-bit, for what it's worth.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 06:04:38 pm by rubberDuck »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 08, 2015, 03:37:14 pm
Hi rubberDuck,

I posted in the bug section about the issue, if you have a look, you will see a quote from IStonia on how the "Home" key should work.
I have tested on my setup, plus checked with new config, but still same issue with options window not always staying on screen. So I do not see it being a config conflict.

I have not checked on a 32bit setup, but did check older 32bit versions of Nvil. It looks like this as been an issue for a long time.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
February 09, 2015, 10:17:09 am
Hi IStonia. Thank you, but the tool doesn't handle edge sliding after their creation.
There's however another basic streamline tool that I found yesterday, called "Edge Tools  >>  Edge_DoubleLoop_Cut/Slide", which is great for what I need. And what I need are faster means of inserting and, immediately after, sliding supporting edge loops.
Edge_DoubleLoop_Cut/Slide however doesn't allow for inserting more than two loops. Steve's streamline tool in "Chop off corners" mode let's me do what the DoubleLoop does, plus add more loops when I roll the mouse wheel. Its only drawback is that ring selection is mandatory, when in case of Edge_DoubleLoop_Cut/Slide - it's optional.

Hi rubberDuck,
So it isn't a hotkey conflict in my configuration?

---
I've noticed another strange thing.
For example, if I define the following streamline tool:
LMB: Edge Tools  >>  Edge_Loop_Cut/Slide#
MMB: Edge Tools  >>  Edge_Loop_Cut/Slide_EdgeMidPoint#
RMB: Edge Tools  >>  Edge_Loop_Cut/Slide_FixedLength#

Then whenever I click the LMB button, a window Edge_Loop_Cut/Slide window pops out. This is very handy, because f.e. I can click outside of my geometry first and select "Use Last Value" or "Maintain Curvature".
On my laptop however, to which I copied the "%APPDATA%/Digitalfossils" directory, this does not happen. I'm unable to call this window in the same way.

Same thing happens to other tools that use these windows, like your Streamline tool that you posted here, Steve. On my workstation, if I RMB click-and-hold, the "Edge_Chamfer" window shows up and I can select some options. This does not happen on my laptop.

The laptop is 32-bit, the workstation 64-bit, for what it's worth.

I do think it is hotkey conflict. If you have tools bound to Ctrl or C, when you release key from Ctrl+C, you will trigger those tools. That's the design behavior. To avoid trigger those tools, you can keep your mouse button being pressed down while release keys, provided the active tool is set to "Allow tapped to stay live", otherwise once you release mouse button the tool will be closed.

In your laptop case, it is likely the window is outside of your app window so you can't see it. Because you copy its location from your desktop which has a bigger screen. Try making your app float, adjust its size to a small size, activate your tool and try to tap Home key to bring up the window(the window's location will be moved to the edge of the app window, then maximize the app window.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 10:26:33 am by IStonia »