News:

Topic: NVil Update Aug 31 2014  (Read 4518 times)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
August 31, 2014, 09:45:45 am
New Update
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Aug-31-14.rar
Prerequisites : A need to download/install end user runtime(for slimDX) http://slimdx.org/download.php (the .net 2 download)

Summary of changes:

* Some bug fixings.
  * Customize > Tools > Common Modeling Shortcut Tools > Object Selection Temporary. Enable object selection in other modes while its hotkey is pressed.

Thanks!

• No avatar
  • Spline
August 31, 2014, 05:19:42 pm
N
  * Customize > Tools > Common Modeling Shortcut Tools > Object Selection Temporary. Enable object selection in other modes while its hotkey is pressed.
Nice!
Could someone please teach me how to map this function to work doubleclick in Vertex, Edge, Face and Mesh Mode? It should only work when there's no pre-existing selection, otherwise it would conflict with other selection tools.

• No avatar
  • Triangle
August 31, 2014, 06:02:52 pm

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
September 01, 2014, 08:55:14 am
N
Nice!
Could someone please teach me how to map this function to work doubleclick in Vertex, Edge, Face and Mesh Mode? It should only work when there's no pre-existing selection, otherwise it would conflict with other selection tools.

This function serves as flag purpose. It does nothing by itself. Check this topic
http://voidworld.cmcproductions.co.uk/index.php/topic,2383.0.html

• No avatar
  • Spline
September 01, 2014, 10:32:21 am
Hi IStonia,
sorry I don't understand the word "flag purpose". Yes I have seen that wish/topic and would like to
know how to hook this function up to doubleclick instead of pressing a hotkey. It's sure possible but
I don't understand how to do this.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
September 02, 2014, 09:05:59 am
When you press the hotkey, you tell the program to ignore current selection mode and treat it as object mode.

I can't see a proper way to hook it to double click event. But you can try this version. I added a new trick.
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Sep-02-14.rar
In a subobject mode
1. Move cursor to an unselected object.
2. Press down and hold LMB.
3. Press down and hold RMB.
4. Release LMB to select the object.
5. Release RMB.

• No avatar
  • Spline
September 02, 2014, 11:07:13 am
Thank you! Yeah, after thinking a bit I see how doubleclick interferes with existing selection logic.
I don't know what others think but find your underlying idea pretty nice!
The mechanism does not yet seem to function reliably - from modes other than mesh mode
I could not get it to work. But you could probably tweak this behavior.

Another, somewhat related question:
Wouldn't it make sense to think of a another display style for the two modes which don't give
access to the actual topology? From just looking at a selected item in mesh or object mode
one could not tell which mode it is in. One may give the wireframe a deviating colour but that's
quite a weak indicator, especially as we have so many colours going on already (for creased
and hard edges etc.). Options were to give selected objects a fat solid outline (as e.g.Cinema4D
does, to make them highlight as a whole or to use Bounding Box brackets (3DS Max-style).

The question was whether one needed to show wireframes inside these modes... People probably
have different opinions on that matter but showing a highlighted wireframe which in its display
properties doesn't differ from modes where this wireframe is actually editable feels wrong to me.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 02, 2014, 01:45:12 pm
In a subobject mode
1. Move cursor to an unselected object.
2. Press down and hold LMB.
3. Press down and hold RMB.
4. Release LMB to select the object.
5. Release RMB.

If RMB not already hooked, for example by default to radial menu activation, I find that "RMB(hold down) + LMB click" on unselected object will select that object.
Do not know if that is intentional, but that is good for me.

• No avatar
  • Spline
September 02, 2014, 02:45:29 pm
If RMB not already hooked, for example by default to radial menu activation, I find that "RMB(hold down) + LMB click" on unselected object will select that object. Do not know if that is intentional, but that is good for me.
Might be the issue in my case - RMB on my system rotates the camera, so it's in use pretty much all the time.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
September 03, 2014, 08:50:58 am
Yes, pressing down LMB before RMB is for preventing RMB from doing something.

polyxo, I set RMB to view rotation and don't see any problem. Can you send me your config files?

• No avatar
  • Spline
September 03, 2014, 10:56:16 am
Here's how things look on my machine. I have multiselection enabled and the back cube is the
active object. Regardless whether I have an existing subobject selection or not, I am not able
to select the front cube with the proposed LMB/RMB-limbo (I#m strictly executing the key-press
sequence, the 10 frames gif recorder just can't follow...

I'll send the config via Email.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
September 05, 2014, 09:26:38 am
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Sep-05-14.rar

I also made it works with MMB, because either LMB or MMB is for cycling selection depending on the user setting.

• No avatar
  • Spline
September 05, 2014, 06:21:28 pm
Works now. Very nice!