News:

Topic: VoidWorld Update Jun 27 2012  (Read 7354 times)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
June 27, 2012, 01:15:59 pm
new update.
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/VoidWorld-Jun-27-12.rar

Summary of changes:

* Make Quad tool is improved. To change row setting, tap '-' or '+' key. To change auto relax option, tap Space key.
  * Edit > Preference > General > Manipulator Tolerance.
  * The following transformation basic streamline tools can repeat last action by just click its mouse button. Tweak_Scale, Plane_Move, Axis_Move, Axis_Rotate, Plane_Scale, Axis_Scale.

Thanks!

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
June 27, 2012, 10:49:12 pm
Istonia, There is still an issue with the Event Actions in the Customize Streamline tool options. 

I have assigned Collapse Loop to the 'On Activated' slot of the Event Actions in the default Loop Cut/Slide Edges Streamline Tool. 
  • In Edge mode with nothing selected I hold the hotkey and hover over to highlight an edge.
  • The pre-selected edge will collapse immediately.
  • If there is nothing pre-selected when the Hotkey is pressed and you hover over, the loopCut predictive selection highlight will show.
  • If any edges are selected before hotkey is pressed then the Collapse Loop function will perform.
Expected Result/Desired Result
If nothing is selected when hotkey is pressed then the main Mouse Function Tools of the Streamline Tool will be active.  If something is selected the Streamline Engine will flip to the Event Actions portion.  Am I correct in my thinking?

Would it be possible for you to explain (in completely layman terms) what all of the Options and Event actions actually mean within the Streamline Engine Customize box?  e.g What are the differences between On Activated & On Tapped?  What exactly do you mean by Event Action? (is it for actual selections?)  Does applying a command to Event Action On LMB Click etc override the Mouse Function tools?

The reason I ask is that the way it's laid out isn't entirely intuitive and it took me a while to work out what each section means (and I still don't fully understand all of it)  There's a great amount of customization in your system, which is just fantastic, but I can see that it might confuse a lot of people new to the app.  If they're brave enough to delve under the hood. :)
Senior 3D Artist

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
June 27, 2012, 11:27:10 pm
ghib, I feel it's better you move the loop collapse command to Tap event, in case other people may like its current behaviour.

'OnActivated 'means the moment you press down the hotkey to activate the tool.

'OnTapped' means you have pressed down the key to activate the tool but release the key without any operation performed. Note, if you move the cursor over a certain amount of distance, it will be considered as an indication that you have done something although no selection/geometry changes made. This is a way to not to triger the OnTapped command when you need. As you can see, 'OnTapped' is more flexible than 'OnActivated'. But 'OnActivated' lets you see the result instantly.

Yeah, I should make a document to explain that.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
June 28, 2012, 07:57:34 am
Thanks for explaining Istonia :)

ah so 'OnActivated' basically overrides the behaviour from the Mouse Function tools.. Is that correct?

If so would it be possible to add an option (per Streamline Tool) to constrain the Event Actions to 'OnSelected' only?  This way one won't override the other if there is a pre-selection highlighted component.  A simple check box beside each named EventAction would be enough I think. A new EventAction maybe?

I think you must have changed something with the behaviour of the Streamline Tools between versions Jun 07 2012 & Jun 20 2012.  I personally much preferred the behaviour between the different Streamline modes on and before 'Jun 07 2012'.

also I noticed that User Event action enabled turns off the Event Actions.  Is this also correct?

cheers
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 08:08:14 am by ghib »
Senior 3D Artist

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
June 28, 2012, 09:30:29 am
Q: ah so 'OnActivated' basically overrides the behaviour from the Mouse Function tools.. Is that correct?
A: Incorrect. The mouse function still works afterwards.

Q: If so would it be possible to add an option (per Streamline Tool) to constrain the Event Actions to 'OnSelected' only?  This way one won't override the other if there is a pre-selection highlighted component.  A simple check box beside each named EventAction would be enough I think. A new EventAction maybe?
A: I will consider that.

Q: I think you must have changed something with the behaviour of the Streamline Tools between versions Jun 07 2012 & Jun 20 2012.  I personally much preferred the behaviour between the different Streamline modes on and before 'Jun 07 2012'.
A: I don't think so. I just enabled edge loop collapse on highlighted edge because Mightypea asked for it.

Q: also I noticed that User Event action enabled turns off the Event Actions.  Is this also correct?
A: Correct. But actually I have no idea it is any usefull at all.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
June 28, 2012, 12:24:25 pm
Q: I think you must have changed something with the behaviour of the Streamline Tools between versions Jun 07 2012 & Jun 20 2012.  I personally much preferred the behaviour between the different Streamline modes on and before 'Jun 07 2012'.
A: I don't think so. I just enabled edge loop collapse on highlighted edge because Mightypea asked for it.

This is where the problem lies.  Sorry I must have missed that update.
Senior 3D Artist

• No avatar
  • Spline
June 30, 2012, 10:45:48 am
Thanks ghib for your comments and questions on the streamline-system.
I also still have many questions but not enough time to try all myriads of options out myself.
A document or extended tutorial-clip which shows consequences of all remapping actions would help greatly.

Istonia - I think there's one more thing which limits the ease of use of customization:
Many users for instance will be used to other hotkeys for the actions on the asdf-keys and would
like to move these. However, one can not relocate all functionality mapped to the A-key to the B-Key
at once. One had to reassign everything again as it was and will very likely fail with that.

So it was very helpful if one could move all functionality tied to a key at one.