News:

Topic: Applink for blender  (Read 2952 times)

• No avatar
  • Triangle
April 03, 2014, 07:23:00 pm
Please applink for blender

• No avatar
  • Spline
April 03, 2014, 08:45:26 pm
Users can quite easily create such an applink to any scriptable 3d-app (= every mayor app) by using Nvil's clipboard saving feature. All one needs is a phython script run from from within Blender, which imports obj and dae files with pre-defined settings and saves these with predefined settings.
There's no need for IStonia to get involved.
That way one can already exchange files with Zbrush and I could create simple Macros to hook up Rhino. With regards to Blender I had already asked passerby - he said that he might look into this when time allows.

• No avatar
  • Triangle
April 04, 2014, 02:26:44 am
I know nothing about programming and for me it is an impossible task :'(

• Administrator
  • Polygon
April 05, 2014, 11:18:23 pm
Ya might look into that on Monday, I'm not too familiar with blender, but its python api looks very well made and easy to use, and this is also a simple request prolly just a hand full of lines to write.

Once made how would you guys like to do interact with it? I'm going to make it Bindable to they keyboard, buy for the ui do you want the button for it, in the toolbar to the left? Or would you like it in the scene tab on the left? Or the main export menu?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 02:01:43 pm by Passerby »

• No avatar
  • Triangle
April 07, 2014, 06:46:02 am
hotkeys will be enough

• No avatar
  • Spline
April 07, 2014, 07:52:43 am
Hi passerby,
if possible I would prefer it to work only by using the clipboard feature and by using its already assigned hotkeys. Nvil saves into its Clipboard folder, Blender picks files up here and resaves over the exitsing file (both done via Blender-Hotkeys). This to me is the most flexible and simple approach: Once saved to the Clpboard I can choose to bring that file into Zbrush, Rhino or Blender.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
April 07, 2014, 11:07:30 am
Ya don't think I could have it work with the blender copy and paste keys, but can just make it as a blender operator, which would allow you to just bind it to any key you want in the hotkey editor, and also will make it appear in the space bar search menu.

Functanlitly wise it will be 2 keys or operations, one picks up any OBJ in the clipboard folder, and one would drop any selection you got to that folder for nvil to pick up useing its clipboard commands.

I Should be getting home later today, and think it won't take more more than 10minites to make once I'm finally back at my own computer again.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 11:10:48 am by Passerby »

• No avatar
  • Spline
April 07, 2014, 12:26:51 pm
Yeah, using default copy and paste wasn't necessary. What you suggest sounds perfect to me.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
April 07, 2014, 04:29:44 pm
done

NvilClipboard.zip

Install that zip file into blender using the install from file feature of the Addon browser, than enable the add on.
Once that is done you should be able to search 'nvil' in the spacebar menu, and will see 2 options one to pick up things from the nvilclipboard, and one to drop the selected object to the nvilclipboard.

If you want to bind it to a key, just create a new keybind in the Input editor.
The command to pickup a item from the clipboard is.
Code: [Select]
nvilclipboard.pickup
The command to drop a item to the clipboard is.
Code: [Select]
nvilclipboard.drop

If you want to ask for features or report bugs, can just do so on this topic, or you can post on the github repo for this addon.

https://github.com/cmcpasserby/BlenderNvilClipboard
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 04:36:28 pm by Passerby »

• Administrator
  • Polygon
April 07, 2014, 04:48:28 pm
i made a new topic for the completed script, and got it stickied here

http://voidworld.cmcproductions.co.uk/index.php/topic,2316.0.html